Turboing a 1363 12.5:1 motor?

MidnightBusainSD

Busa Rancher
Donating Member
Registered
Well here is what i am looking at it's just alittle forward thinking is all if i decide to do this in the future That is turboing my 1363 motor now with the compresion i have 12.5:1 can i get by say using the Ghetto Turbo kit with a spacer plate? and the extra injector? dose anyone know how much the spacer plate lowers the compresion? I already have Carrilo rods and bottom end streghten. So any opinion on if it can be done or am i better off tearing my motor down and putting turbo pistons in and a MCXpress Kit Granted i thought i could do the ghetto setup for around 5000 and the MCXpress would be close to 10,000 by the time i do pistons and such? Please opinions and other options greatly appricated

well, the spacer plate would have to match your larger bore, I assume that wouldn't be too hard to find....I think I remember someone saying its .080" thick, but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong
smile.gif

if it is .080", that would bring your compression ratio to 9.4:1 That would be a livable compression ratio for "light" turbo'ing....

I dunno... Leave it as is, run about 14lbs of boost without water injection or an intercooler... Just be certain to post the video of the results...

Seriously though, I would consider just being happy with a solid big bore motor...

Well here is what i am looking at it's just alittle forward thinking is all if i decide to do this in the future That is turboing my 1363 motor now with the compresion i have 12.5:1 can i get by say using the Ghetto Turbo kit with a spacer plate? and the extra injector? dose anyone know how much the spacer plate lowers the compresion? I already have Carrilo rods and bottom end streghten. So any opinion on if it can be done or am i better off tearing my motor down and putting turbo pistons in and a MCXpress Kit Granted i thought i could do the ghetto setup for around 5000 and the MCXpress would be close to 10,000 by the time i do pistons and such?  Please opinions and other options greatly appricated
ok you can get spacer plates of different sizes. SO call Motorhead and he'll tell ay what plate to use. Your pistons or stock pistons should be good up to 400 hp (well beyond what the ghetto kit is capable of without a different turbo)

standard MCxpress kit is 6400 SO I have no idea where the $10K tag is coming from. At most you should need a spacer, cam sprockets, headbolt upgrades and associated gaskets.

NOW HERE IS MY OPINION:

Figure out what you use the bike for, what power level you want/need and your budget. BUY ONCE AND BUY RIGHT. Go cheap and go twice.

Where i was getting the 10k from was if i had to switch out my pistons and possible labor involved with other little things that mighta had to be done this is just a thought process at the moment i'm pretty happy with the setup i want but considering options for when i wana go bigger and getting ideas and opinions now i may just do a A&J Nos Control unit and boost my Nos input some Will just have to see Thanks for the input guys

Biggest thing you need to think about is how you want it to run on the bottom. You wil find the bottom dropping out if you go much under 9.4 comp. You should add some water injection and (or) an intercooler. You will need bigger injectors most likely 275 min 0r 310 also think about the fuel pump. By the time you are done with these and other things like guages add about another $1,000.

When I say gone I am refering to running rough. I have not seen a 8:1 with turbo pistons not run rough on the bottom, when compared to 10 or 11 compression. Yes the turbo kicks in and off you go. But for a street bike that may have a lot of low end traffic to content with the low compression does hurt. That is why with a stock motor (not the 1363) I keep mine at 10 and will be lowering it to 9.5:1

Again it depends on what you want on the bike. If the bottom does not bother you because you are kicking in the turbo hard all the time then fine.

Biggest thing you need to think about is how you want it to run on the bottom.  You wil find the bottom dropping out if you go much under 9.4 comp.  You should add some water injection and (or) an intercooler.  You will need bigger injectors most likely 275 min 0r 310 also think about the fuel pump.  By the time you are done with these and other things like guages add about another $1,000.
Stock bore motors with spacer plates are below 9.4-1.

I haven't had a bike yet where the bottom end seemed "gone" and would still run with a stock Busa in a roll on pretty well. Remember if there is any noticable lag it is merely for under 1000rpms, then you are on boost in most instances.(only normal exception is on take off).

water injection will set you back about $600-750
NEW S2000 injectors will cost about $425-450
Turbo kit's pump will flow the injectors fine.
Most kits come with guages

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096768449 -->

Thanks for all the advice everyone i think for now i'm just gona fine tune my current setup and bump the nos alittle more for the track. I'm really pretty happy with the bike now and since i changed sprokets to 18 42 for the highway the milage is alot better and i can always swap out to 16 42 for when i head back to the track

i do not think you will be happy the way it will feel at lower rpms. Your big motor is going to feel like it is starving.

That all will depend on what kind of riding you do, but I will not lower my turbo under 9.5:1 give or take. Lots of others go lower, but it seems they are racing more.

Well after doing some more diging and some help from yag i found using a .125 spacer plate will bring my current compression down to 8.7:1 which would save me from haveing to spend the extra money on turbo pistons and a rebuild so who knows this new bit of info has me thinking turbo all over again
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100118790 -->

Back