Turbo streetfighter in progress

mcantar

Registered
I've made enough progress on this by now that I think I can share it here. This build is for Custom Fighters' 2016 Winter Buildoff contest and will have some cool photo/videography done when finished.
It's a couple weeks from being ready for dyno/tune, and then will be getting custom carbon fiber tank, tail, and front fairing.

You can catch up and follow the progress here:
mcantar's 2008 Busa - The Abomination - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Current state of affairs:

34htbfa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some details on the custom carbon fiber tank?
I know little about working fiberglass or cf.
Is there a resin/bonding agent that gasoline won't eventually eat through?
Or will it just be a cf tank cover?

How about some details on the custom carbon fiber tank?
I know little about working fiberglass or cf.
Is there a resin/bonding agent that gasoline won't eventually eat through?
Or will it just be a cf tank cover?

Full part, not a cover.
I've heard most resins are entirely safe to use with gasoline, however I don't like doing things twice so I'll be coating the inside with POR-15.
The general watered down basics of it is you make a negative mold of the part you want to make, generally out of fiberglass, and polish the ever living **** out of it. The inner surface has to be absolutely perfect, as the carbon and resin will follow any imperfections and your part will look like crap. Then you lay the carbon fiber inside the negative mold, with the first layer being the one you have to make pretty as it will be the outside surface of your final part. Then seal it up real well in a vacuum bag with 2 hoses coming out of it, stick one hose in a jar of resin with some way to plug it when the resin is completely through the fabric, and put the other hose to a vacuum pump. Pull a vacuum on it and suck the resin through the fabric, plug the resin house and maintain the vacuum while it sets, pull it out and let it cure a good while, and done.
There's all sorts of little details, like ambient temperature, that will significantly impact your results, but that's the basics of it.
I'm actually adding a step though, because I'm not replicating an existing part. I'm going to pull a fiberglass negative from the tank, then fill it with expanding foam and let it cure for a good week. Then pop the fiberglass off and I'll have a positive mold out of foam. I'll then shave it down and modify the shape as I want it, seal the surface with something, and pull another fiberglass negative off that. Then that'll be the mold I use for the final carbon fiber piece.

Best of luck
Thanks!

Checked out all 6 pages. Looks good...

By the way, I have a CF tank. Hold 9 litres. Love it!

Man that is one sexy Busa! And that's coming from someone who generally hates the fully-faired ones. Real nice work there. How do you like the hybrid weave?

Pretty cool. Just wondering do you know what the weight is as it sits before the carbon fiber? Then I would be interested in finding out what the final weight is when your all done putting it on a diet.

Great Job on the build so far!!! :clap:

Idk why but I really dig that chopped rear end. I'm thinking you should put a 240 rear on it. I think that would really complete the look IMO

Pretty cool. Just wondering do you know what the weight is as it sits before the carbon fiber? Then I would be interested in finding out what the final weight is when your all done putting it on a diet.

That's something I'm very interested in finding out, but haven't found a scale to weigh it on yet that's worth the time... there are plenty of "certified scales" around, but many of them round to the nearest 10lbs or whatever. I need to find a scale large enough to put the bike on that's actually accurate.
I'd imagine in the current state, it's sitting around 90-100lbs under stock. The carbon fiber and a few other things in the works (i.e. rearsets, battery, etc.) should shave off another 30lbs or better.

Great Job on the build so far!!! :clap:

Idk why but I really dig that chopped rear end. I'm thinking you should put a 240 rear on it. I think that would really complete the look IMO

Thanks!
I'm a fan of it too. I wasn't at first, but it's grown on me bigtime. The problem with this iteration is that when I made it, I didn't think about the seat as much as I should have so without the seat it looks great, but with the seat on there the tail looks too small (granted, the actual "final product" seat will me much slimmer and better looking). It's not really worth redoing in steel, the steel stuff is just prototype/proof of concept so I don't spend a ton of money and time redoing carbon fiber, but when I do the actual carbon tail it'll be an inch and a half or so larger in every dimension.

Yup, it's on the to-do list. I'm still brainstorming that one... not many places to tuck it away on this bike.

So satisfying seeing others doing a full transformation build. It's beautiful looking! I'm at the end of 4 years with mine.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Thanks Ray! I have a few pics of your Superbyke saved to my ideas folder from when my build was in the planning stage, you've got a badass bike on your hands.

Little update for you guys. The bike is back from the tuners, here's the dyno sheet:

15yf8tv.jpg

If any of you are in the Denver area, check out QuikCycles for all your Busa needs... he knows them very well.

Here it is as it sits right now...

2qvsbrk.jpg

There's video of a full dyno pull and more details in the build thread, link is in the OP.

Back