Turbo reliability question

Vindaloobeast

Registered
I have a 2007 Busa with low miles..less than 8k and as I have some money coming in August Im considering a turbo kit. As Im in the UK I will probably go for a Holeshot racing kit either stage 2 or 3. Jack has a good rep here and I know Im in pretty safe hands but I wanted to know how safe I am with standard rods at 450bhp ? Money is tight but Im not going to compromise for the sake of saving a bit more to do the job properly. The bike will be a street bike and not used for racing so in all probability I could just go for st2 and be happy. I would like a stubby exhaust set up and ultimately I dont want any problems because Im rubbish with spanners..!

Whats the story for a Turbo newbie..?

Vindy.

Stock rods won't handle 450hp...only about 300hp...get a set of Carillo's :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

Be patient...you will get some more responces.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you're gonna need more than connecting rods, maybe head gasket and bolts also, but the experts will be along.

Choice is limited in the UK so there are only a couple of reputable places really to go to.

Something I did wonder about was is it better to run the stand-alone boost controllers ? Rods are a pretty good insurance policy so thats pencilled in.

Vindy.

For 450hp Holeshot list a stage 3 kit, they have carrillos as an optional extra.. at that power they are not an option.
The stage 3 kit seems to have everything covered but it's £5500 fitted (probably plus VAT) Do you really need that much power? The stage 2 will give you about 350hp for £3500, for road use that should scare the ****e out of you!:laugh:
You'll still want the carrillos though.
I'd add a heavy duty output shaft £350, you'll probably fancy a boost gauge too.
Good luck with it though mate.
I'm currently turboing my Westfield race car, I'm aiming at about 370hp... I'm in Kent, where are you based?

Im in Gloucester. The stage 2 would be fine Im sure. I dont want any grief with the bike which I why Im trying to plan it carefully or balance it off against traditional tuning. Its a road bike and I have no intention of racing it other than a rare RWYB event. It wont do any more than 5,000 miles a year either so that will help.

Biggest issue for me will be insurance..!

Vindy.

Rods- Wossner or Carrillo; turbo pistons - Wossner; cylinder studs - ARP; valve springs- Carpenter or APE, 60-65 lbs; heavy duty output shaft, oil pump gear, undercut transmission, .080" spacer plate, Cometic gaskets. That will be good for 400+ hp . . .:rulez:

To lower compression...I believe. Would you change the cams or add the adjustable sprokets? I am considering some of these things myself...that is why I fnd this interesting.

What is the spacer plate for..?

Vindy.

The cylinder spacer plate goes with the Wossner turbo pistons on a Gen 1 to put the compression at 9:1. And yes, you would want the adjustable cam sprockets to degree your cams, and some really good clutch springs, like the best APE, or a lockup clutch. And a slave support . . .

Back