turbo oil return line....help turbo leaking oil

3gturbo

Registered
I just put everythin 2gether.. and started up but oil is coming out of my exhaust side of turbo.. what can cause that.. my turbo is fine...only has 200 miles on it...could it be my oil return line..I have a lil crimp or maybe 2 many angle fittings on there.....let me know.. here's a pic thanxs for the help...

MVC_007S.JPG

If prior to the install the turbo were laying on its side instead of resting in a manner like its upright position while mounted some of the oil could have gotten trap and just blew out...You could have over filled the oil level...Oil level cold should not be a bove the bottom line of the veiwer...
evil.gif

ahhh my oil is above the line tho... that's maybe it...I'll drain some out and started up again.. thanxs.

Mine did the same thing when the level was to high. My oil changes take a long time now cause I let the oil settle down when filling it to keep from overfilling. After looking at the pic, that is a lot of angles. I would consider having a new hose made a little longer and doing away with the 90's. Use a 90 coming out of the turbo to remove the kink and a straight fitting on the pan end. Good luck

<!--EDIT|clrwtrbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102351838 -->

nope that wasn't the problem.....I even took the turbo apart and clean all the exess oil off and still coming out.. could thicker oil cause this problem....I put 3 qts of 15w 50 and one qt of 20w 50 don't ask.........Help...

if nothing else, that is a very restrictive hose there. You never want any more fittings, especially 90 degree fittings are pivoting fittings. I would get rid of all of that.

There is 2 things that cause oil to come out like that. Turbo is too low compared to the oil level, or the oil return line is too restrictive. Or both.

That oil return line is pretty small too.....you can never have too big of a return line. Even 1 psi of pressure in the return line, and you'll get what you have. I'm using a -12AN line for my return line.....

here's a pic of my set up. BTW, I also notice your line is kinked at least partially just off of the turbo. Thats a very bad thing.

I changed the fittings and still didn't solve the problem.. my last guess it's a bad seal maybe......dunno

nope that wasn't the problem.....I even took the turbo apart and clean all the exess oil off and still coming out.. could thicker oil cause this problem....I put 3 qts of 15w 50 and one qt of 20w 50 don't ask.........Help...
3 + 1 = 4...That's quarts...Still too much oil...It shouldn't take more than about 3.3 quarts to get it too the lowest mark on the window...

Uncle knows quite a bit about turbo's and his explanation of the return line and Clears are more than likely correct...So get that line replaced and swap out those connectors...

3 + 1 = 4...That's quarts...Still too much oil...It shouldn't take more than about 3.3 quarts to get it too the lowest mark on the window...

Uncle knows quite a bit about turbo's and his explanation of the return line and Clears are more than likely correct...So get that line replaced and swap out those connectors...
ok I've put 3.3 qts as you say and already changed out the fittings 2 one fiting goin straight to the pan. There is no kink what soever now....again put everthing back 2gether and back with the same result...it's making me think I have a bad seal on the exhaust side of the turbo....i see lil on turbine housing..

I was reading about if i don't remove my oil plug(reducer) located behind the oil filter the engine will starve for oil..I have no oil cooler now...I was wondering if that will cause it..I was reading about it a sec ago and haven't remove the oil reducer plug yet...

<!--EDIT|3gturbo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102377939 -->

there are no "seals" in a turbo (except draw thru turbo's, different story there, but only on the compressor side, and only to deal with high vacuum).  If you have oil pushing into the turbo through the oil return line, even on a brand spanking new, perfect condition turbo, it will pour out of the center section.  Same goes if your return line is too restrictive, causing pressure to build in the return line.

Here's a simple test, so we can narrow down the problem.  With oil in the motor, pop off the return line at the turbo and hold it at the same level where it attaches on the turbo.  If oil comes out of the line, then your oil level in the engine is higher than that point and nothing you do to it will fix it (other than raising the turbo or lowering the oil level or install an oil scavenge pump/system)

If oil DOESN'T come out, slowly lower the hose and see at what point the oil comes out.  Optimally, you would prefer it to be at no point oil comes out of the line (oil level is below the return line fitting on the motor) But its not absolutely necessary....but the lower it is, the better.

So assuming you've passed the test up to this point, you still have too restrictive of a return line.  Go with bigger lines, bigger fittings and less complexity.

As I mentioned before, turbo's are VERY sensitive about the oil return line. its very crucial to design it well....my first turbo system I made, I did the same thing, and you wouldn't believe the clouds of smoke I created, while testing different strategies with the return line....that system was mounted too low and I had to make a scavenge system which took quite a bit of trial and error....but I did eventually get it to work well. But its a last resort. If you can get gravity drain to work well, its definitely the way to go.

<!--EDIT|Uncle Bob
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102420246 -->

BTW, there is some other tricky stuff you can do, depending on the situation. If the oil level is very close to the turbo height (but not over it) I've seen some people mount the return line to the oil sump, right next to the pickup screen on the oil pan.....there is a decent amount of negative pressure in that area when the bike is running, and it can be just enought to counter-act the positive pressure that gets generated from the nearly-same-level-oil/turbo situation. But if the turbo is below the oil level, you may be able to get it to not smoke while running, but there's no way you can prevent the oil from seaping past the shaft when you park the bike. In that situation, it'll smoke on start up no matter what.

ok that is the problem... my turbo is the sam height to the oil level...you can even look at it and tell....oil is coming out...I'll have a tap a new hole in the oil pan lower than what it was before right or to the oil pump...

<!--EDIT|3gturbo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102428447 -->

MVC_011S.JPG

lowering the engine side fitting won't change the oil level in the engine.....

unless you want to run the motor lower on oil, you're going to have to do something else. Such as a scavenge system.

I found the problem...It was so stupid I just wanna smack myself in the face....it was a vaccum line I plug up...vacuum right under the fuel pump.....I found out the problem by accident....knocking the plug off the started up and boom no leaks...thanxs for help tho....

Back