Turbo issues Velocity Stage II

Clueless

Registered
was working fine up until last week, saw I must have a fuel line kink as the filter was sucked in (like it was soft and the sides melted in slight) on a hotter day (85 or 90 degrees) ... so over the weekend I installed fuel line springs on both the fuel line going to the pump and the return fuel line and a race fuel filter inline on the low pressure end side of the pump. replacing the Velocity Filter. the filter will flow more then the Velocity and filter to 50 microns.

its mapped for pump gas 94...  

heres what happens:

1.  it will build boost up and if I shift the BOV will let out the boost.
2.  my spring is a 4# spring for low boost and it will build up to 4 lbs on the guage and kick in for a short time (say 3 seconds) if thats all I need
3.  if I keep rolling on the throttle when it hits boost after the initial pull, it just drops RPMs quickly.  So I let off the throttle instantly *(dont want to burn anything up).
4..doesnt matter what speed just under heavy boost the engine just feels like you let off the throttle but when you accelerate again its fine.
5.  can run the bike perfect as long as I am not under boost.  runs fine at 100 mphs
6.  when shifting and riding it is pulling vacuum on the boost guage.

any thoughts?  I checked the fuel lines and nothing looks kinked and I installed fuel line springs to make sure...

could it be the fuel pump?

<!--EDIT|Clueless
Reason for Edit: "tracking post"|1122177461 -->

I'll go ahead and pee in the wind...I'm sure you checked to ensure that all hoses are intact and that the new lines are not kinked...Could the new filter be flowing to much fuel and caused a mapping problem???

Clueless
New Recruit

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:0.92

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
was working fine up until last week, saw I must have a fuel line kink as the filter was sucked in (like it was soft and the sides melted in slight) on a hotter day (85 or 90 degrees) ... so over the weekend I installed fuel line springs on both the fuel line going to the pump and the return fuel line and a race fuel filter inline on the low pressure end side of the pump. replacing the Velocity Filter. the filter will flow more then the Velocity and filter to 50 microns.

its mapped for pump gas 94...

heres what happens:

1. it will build boost up and if I shift the BOV will let out the boost.
2. my spring is a 4# spring for low boost and it will build up to 4 lbs on the guage and kick in for a short time (say 3 seconds) if thats all I need
3. if I keep rolling on the throttle when it hits boost after the initial pull, it just drops RPMs quickly. So I let off the throttle instantly *(dont want to burn anything up).
4..doesnt matter what speed just under heavy boost the engine just feels like you let off the throttle but when you accelerate again its fine.
5. can run the bike perfect as long as I am not under boost. runs fine at 100 mphs
6. when shifting and riding it is pulling vacuum on the boost guage.

any thoughts? I checked the fuel lines and nothing looks kinked and I installed fuel line springs to make sure...

could it be the fuel pump? [/QUOTE]

Dayyum Earl, sorry to hear about this but I cant believe the Playaz over @ Suzukihayabusa dont have an answer to your problem. Dennis aka Motorhead, 469boy, PhantomBusa, SJJBusa and Suzuki4life just to name a few. Hopefully soon you'll have this problem resolved, also try Pming Uncle Bob here maybe he will have an answer to your problem. O'yeah dont forget about Kevin (Koas).

Ty

P.S. howz the indiglo gauges I made for you a few years ago
holding up ?

Dennis and I had a falling out when I had my bike tuned there, I left him TWO brand new tires and he put the new rear and replaced my used front tire with another used front tire (an OEM front tire). I had dropped him off two SPORTECH Metzlers and he had tossed them in his car because he had locked the garage already.

so when I picked up the bike, it was tuned by Dennis but had the wrong front tire mounted.  He said I gave him an old one.  I know that someone in his shop made a mistake and now someone else is driving around with my new sportech on their bike
sad.gif
I had asked him to save the OLD tires as well, he did not. I guess with Dennis you need to make sure you get in writing everything you want done and what you want him to keep and return... ect.

So I ended up paying him less the front tire... hence he banned me from his site
sad.gif
 He is OK now that he got the ballance of his payment about $700...  but still he feels I gave him an old tire and he mounted it.  Just common sense would say why would I do that. I told him I was heading to Deals Gap and wanted new tread on the bike.

oh well... someday he will find a customer come back and tell him thanks for the new tire! or maybe someone took it by accident.  who knows ??  

oh the guages are still working fine.  the print has faded a little bit due to the sunlight but still working.  how you doing?  didnt you lay down your bike last year?

<!--EDIT|Clueless
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122229724 -->

sad.gif

I'll go ahead and pee in the wind...I'm sure you checked to ensure that all hoses are intact and that the new lines are not kinked...Could the new filter be flowing to much fuel and caused a mapping problem???
Thanks ... yeah checked all the hoses (no leaks) and since I am pulling vacuum and building boost... I dont thinks its a leak ... maybe a turbine issue? just looking for what may cause this issue.

I would doubt too much flow to the pump would be an issue. its on the low side and the fuel pressure guage coming into the rail is showing 42 PSI when first turned on.

Thanks ... yeah checked all the hoses (no leaks) and since I am pulling vacuum and building boost... I dont thinks its a leak ...  maybe a turbine issue?  just looking for what may cause this issue.

I would doubt too much flow to the pump would be an issue.  its on the low side and the fuel pressure guage coming into the rail is showing 42 PSI when first turned on.
just b/c u pull vacuum and have boost doesnt mean u dont have a leak. boost leaks are boost leaks, be it car turbo boost leaks or bike turbo boost leaks, try to pressure test ur system with a capped pcv pipe, drill a small hole into the capped part and fit a bike hose nipple into it, then make a coupler for the outside and put hose clamps on to secure it to the turbo compressor inlet, then find a pressure source like an electric air pump or better yet, a pressure tank, push it up to w/e boost u run, and listen for leaks/watch the pressure guage on the pump to see where/if you have any leaks. All turbod peoples should do this the moment they "finish" an install. Leaks can also spawn over time, so just b/c they werent there in the first place doesnt mean they can't happen w/ use.

Thanks ... yeah checked all the hoses (no leaks) and since I am pulling vacuum and building boost... I dont thinks its a leak ...  maybe a turbine issue?  just looking for what may cause this issue.

I would doubt too much flow to the pump would be an issue.  its on the low side and the fuel pressure guage coming into the rail is showing 42 PSI when first turned on.
just b/c u pull vacuum and have boost doesnt mean u dont have a leak. boost leaks are boost leaks, be it car turbo boost leaks or bike turbo boost leaks, try to pressure test ur system with a capped pcv pipe, drill a small hole into the capped part and fit a bike hose nipple into it, then make a coupler for the outside and put hose clamps on to secure it to the turbo compressor inlet, then find a pressure source like an electric air pump or better yet, a pressure tank, push it up to w/e boost u run, and listen for leaks/watch the pressure guage on the pump to see where/if you have any leaks. All turbod peoples should do this the moment they "finish" an install. Leaks can also spawn over time, so just b/c they werent there in the first place doesnt mean they can't happen w/ use.
good advise.

so if I'm understanding you right, as the boost grows your bike seems to die off? If so check your boost track. Be sure to check your throttle body boots to the engine also.

I had the similiar sounding problem when my up pipe started coming off.

"was working fine up until last week, saw I must have a fuel line kink as the filter was sucked in (like it was soft and the sides melted in slight) on a hotter day"

WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED MY KIT SOMETHING SIMILAR HAPPEN BUT IT WAS MY FAULT ROUT FUEL LINE INCORRECTLY TOO SHARP OF A TURN BUT SINCE I HAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER I DECIDED TO JUST GO AHEAD A CHECK OUT ALL THE FUEL LINES AND THE ONE FROM THE TANK TO THE FILTER HAD COLLAPSE INTERNALLY COULD NOT SEE IT JUST BY LOOKING, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEEL IT THOUGH WILL FEEL SOFT COMPARE TO REST OF THE HOSE...

the boost builds and when it hits the 4 lbs it just dies. maybe the external wastegate is sticking open? it will boost for about 3 seconds then if I stay in it the bike just dies like its shut off (like its hitting the REV limiter but way under that in RPMS.)

"was working fine up until last week, saw I must have a fuel line kink as the filter was sucked in (like it was soft and the sides melted in slight) on a hotter day"

WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED MY KIT SOMETHING SIMILAR HAPPEN BUT IT WAS MY FAULT ROUT FUEL LINE INCORRECTLY TOO SHARP OF A TURN BUT SINCE I HAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER I DECIDED TO JUST GO AHEAD A CHECK OUT ALL THE FUEL LINES AND THE ONE FROM THE TANK TO THE FILTER HAD COLLAPSE INTERNALLY COULD NOT SEE IT JUST BY LOOKING, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEEL IT THOUGH WILL FEEL SOFT COMPARE TO REST OF THE HOSE...
ok I will check that out. that sounds like it could be the problem. I guess once you collapse the fuel hose it will always be weak?

clueless check fuel line under tank.if need to put spring over fuel line so will not kink. i had same prob sounded like hitting rev limiter.

thats what I did when I installed the fuel filter. put fuel line springs over both the feed line coming out of the fuel tank and the black return fuel line as well. I think I have another fuel line to swap out that has the connector already on it for the feed fuel line... also Gary (suzuki4life) suggested that I check the up pipe for a lose connection.

thanks at least I have a few things to check over quickly when I get a chance this weekend.

It's got to be in the fuel lines...You didn't move or take anything else off...And just because you put the springs on you still have to push the fuel line down to avoid a kink...You didn't mention that you were having a problem prior to discovering the filter or did you have this problem before???

It's got to be in the fuel lines...You didn't move or take anything else off...And just because you put the springs on you still have to push the fuel line down to avoid a kink...You didn't mention that you were having a problem prior to discovering the filter or did you have this problem before???
Well my reasoning. When bikes lean out they normally pop an odd backfire back through the TB's. Any backpressure can pop a connection loose. Clueless has stated to me the bike did let a good backfire out during all of the stuff happening.

If the intake stream is good, I recommended him to bypass the filter entirely and run all new fuel hose in the system to knock out any of it has possibly collasped or become clogged. IF that doesn't fix things then he needs to do a leak down and compression testing.

Well my reasoning. When bikes lean out they normally pop an odd backfire back through the TB's. Any backpressure can pop a connection loose. Clueless has stated to me the bike did let a good backfire out during all of the stuff happening.

If the intake stream is good, I recommended him to bypass the filter entirely and run all new fuel hose in the system to knock out any of it has possibly collasped or become clogged. IF that doesn't fix things then he needs to do a leak down and compression testing.
I certainly trust your judgement and evidently a bit more conversation has taken place between the two or you...

yeah...what I said about the leakdown/compression test.

thanks all .. I have a check list for this weekend. wont be able to get to work on the bike until Sunday afternoon
sad.gif

first thing i will do is check the boots on the intake stream visually and tighten if possible... then replace the section of fuel hose from the bottom of the tank to the inlet side of the fuel filter. thats the side that would have colapsed before (my diagnosis based on the plastic filter having the side sucked - dented inward slightly) from the suction of the pump when the fuel line got kinked. I thought that using a fuel spring would solve it.

I guess once the fuel line kinks it must be weaker in that area all the time.

Back