turbo gen 1 guys 1/8th gearing

Kevin Jones

Registered
Trying to shave down time on the 1/8th since I made some cool friends at that track, even knowing a turbo isn't the weapon of choice for such a short track. My question is, Ive been doing stock gearing since in the 1/4, 3rd really pulls hard for the start of the back end of the track. Ive tried +4 in the back before for 1/8th and didn't have the best tire for it and it didnt go well. I know turbos like load, like stock gearing. And it really seems to want to pull good but im going thru the flag when I feel it. Thinking about trying to go back +4 rear for that. Anybody else running turbo for 1/8th? What are you geared at?

8" and going up to 44t would bring me back in about an inch if I remember. That is one of my problems. The grudge guys are 15" back easily but I cannot do that. 10" max. I still have to be able to put the woman on the back every once in a while.

I hear ya. I ride chics to which is why I went with the extended 6 inch tail that had the passenger provision. if u go any further then 8 inches which is about where I'm gonna be at it will be a tire spinner on the street. I think finding that happy medium is important. if its a dedicated track bike then yea stretch it lout 15 inches, cut the rails, lower the tank, small front tire etc.... but then its a POS to ride on the street.

Ive seen guys on Busa's go 7.90's at 63.5 inches making under 400 hp so u don't need to be really long to go fast. I keep my gearing at 18/45. its not optimal for 1/8th mile racing but if u gear it for 1/8th mile its not gonna be very fun to ride on the street imo. ur RPM's are gonna be 6000 at cruising speed.

chk this out. this is real street with a hand clutch. 63.5 inches. check out that MPH....:oh: thats Mike Glace and Powerhouse Tuned his bike.....

8" and going up to 44t would bring me back in about an inch if I remember. That is one of my problems. The grudge guys are 15" back easily but I cannot do that. 10" max. I still have to be able to put the woman on the back every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG how I would love to come off the line like that. I can always keep a hub with the 44t and just change it at the track. Pain in the ass but so is the highway at 5.7k. Rob has a point too about the lower gearing pulling the turbo into load and boost but there just isn't any time in 1/8th. It happens but it happens at the flags in 3rd at about 10k with stock gears. If those are hand clutches, it must be in the boost control setup along with the rider skill. If I was to come off the line at that RPM and my wb is about what those guys were I would either spin to the limiter within 20 feet or be vertical. They are WOT so quickly! There is still some tuning to my clutch to be done as well. Ill try Saturday morning with the new clutch pack, try reducing static a little if it feels right which I am not sure with a new pack that I wont have to rework it completely like I should have put in the first place when I put the clutch in. I think I need higher RPM launches but like we said, I cant base anything on what happened with worn out fibers n plates. Im like you though Brett, I need my bike for street. I enjoy riding to the springs and country roads too. If I cant outrun the full out grudge bikes, I can accept that.

he's using a bleeder valve. but yea I agree, I didn't build this as a dedicated grudge bike. if I had it wud have been built differently. I cud make it a grudge bike cause it has all the supporting parts but then it wud be an uncomfortable POS to ride on the street and then I wudnt be able to take the Puerto Rican chics with nice booties for rides....:thumbsup:

If I was to come off the line at that RPM and my wb is about what those guys were I would either spin to the limiter within 20 feet or be vertical. They are WOT so quickly!

hell yea they are.....:thumbsup:

Nice Puerto Rican booties are way better than +12 catalyst tails.

images.jpeg

Back