Turbo Gearing

What gearing is everyone running on their turbo setup?

I'm running 244hp with 139 torq with a stock front sprocket and +2 in the rear. I think it's too aggressive and I'm about to kick my bike up to 300hp. So I'm gunna have to regear for sure.

I'm interested in this also.

What I'm feeling on my 2002 turbo (220hp) is that the gearing is much more complicated than N/A gearing since being geared higher allows you to open the throttle more and load the turbo to reach a given speed.

So the term "too aggressive" might not be the best thing to call it as opening your throttle further and pulling longer in a gear might actually feel faster.

Put another way, you are getting the turbo to work harder and longer in each gear so I think gearing becomes deciding how many gears you want the front end to lift @ WOT. For me, I think 3 works.

When I bought my bike, I had 18/39's on it. Because the sprockets were worn, I had them replaced on the road and all that were available were stock (if 17/40 is stock). The mechanic said it would feel faster but really it didn't because I had to be more conservative with my throttle and shift more often.

One has to consider that not all riding is WOT but the turbocharger likes throttle, so how is that balance achieved?

I have a T3/T4 turbo that starts to boost between 5500 and 6500rpm.

I use my bike as a commuter and canyon bike and now I'm thinking about getting a smaller turbo that spools @ 3000ish and going back to the 18/39T gearing.

The idea is to have a bike that gets into boost faster and stays in boost longer. 300hp is my goal just like yours.

I'm at stock wheelbase by the way and plan to keep it there except for a few weeks of drag racing per year.

It seems to me that once one has settled on a target HP, that there is no reason to have a turbo on a bike that can make more than that, and also no reason to have gearing that keeps you from using that HP because you just spin tires or wheelie. It's just more shifting to do and more critical throttle control to worry about without actually gaining much actual acceleration.

I am interested in what the more experienced board members suggest, but my naive viewpoint at the moment is that I will go back to 18/39T at my next swap and increase Boost/HP if I want to go quicker.

Sean

I have the same wheel base as you,(Gen II) and have 19/43 sprockets. Its great for cruising, and really nice for highway roll ons if you are into those.

+1 for me in the front with stock the turbo liked it. I ran +1 with a -=3 in the back and other than off the line it was fun as hell and the turbo loves the extra load.

I'm interested in this also.

What I'm feeling on my 2002 turbo (220hp) is that the gearing is much more complicated than N/A gearing since being geared higher allows you to open the throttle more and load the turbo to reach a given speed.

So the term "too aggressive" might not be the best thing to call it as opening your throttle further and pulling longer in a gear might actually feel faster.

Put another way, you are getting the turbo to work harder and longer in each gear so I think gearing becomes deciding how many gears you want the front end to lift @ WOT. For me, I think 3 works.

When I bought my bike, I had 18/39's on it. Because the sprockets were worn, I had them replaced on the road and all that were available were stock (if 17/40 is stock). The mechanic said it would feel faster but really it didn't because I had to be more conservative with my throttle and shift more often.

One has to consider that not all riding is WOT but the turbocharger likes throttle, so how is that balance achieved?

I have a T3/T4 turbo that starts to boost between 5500 and 6500rpm.

I use my bike as a commuter and canyon bike and now I'm thinking about getting a smaller turbo that spools @ 3000ish and going back to the 18/39T gearing.

The idea is to have a bike that gets into boost faster and stays in boost longer. 300hp is my goal just like yours.

I'm at stock wheelbase by the way and plan to keep it there except for a few weeks of drag racing per year.

It seems to me that once one has settled on a target HP, that there is no reason to have a turbo on a bike that can make more than that, and also no reason to have gearing that keeps you from using that HP because you just spin tires or wheelie. It's just more shifting to do and more critical throttle control to worry about without actually gaining much actual acceleration.

I am interested in what the more experienced board members suggest, but my naive viewpoint at the moment is that I will go back to 18/39T at my next swap and increase Boost/HP if I want to go quicker.

Sean

It may be easier to leave with +2 rear . . .

You want to go over 200 MPH ?

Then gear it for 200 MPH .

& let her go 200 MPH !

Red, *<(:{)-

-1 in the front, -2 on the rear, 287 hp (geared for LSR).

Are you sure you didn't mean +1 / -2 otherwise that makes ZERO sense?

You would be slower than stock and put a HECK of a lot more stress on the output shaft, chain, etc...everything with that power... ???

Streetbike, 280, stretched 6"
What else you need?

Depends on a few things but based on what you posted, I would run 18/42 since you already have +2 on the rear. If you want over 200+ then I would mix it up further..

I currently run 19/41 but will probably swap to 20/41 or 20/38 when I turn up the boost... :beerchug:

Depends on a few things but based on what you posted, I would run 18/42 since you already have +2 on the rear. If you want over 200+ then I would mix it up further..

I currently run 19/41 but will probably swap to 20/41 or 20/38 when I turn up the boost... :beerchug:

I just got my 18 in the mail today. That's what tuner recommended too!

Back