Turbo choice and other questions

turboDS1300

Registered
Hi all,
I'm new to the board and excited to be in the presence of all this Busa knowledge! I'm wondering what turbo's have had the best results when paired with the Busa and what fuel system (or at least pump and injector setup) works best too? Reliability is key...only looking to run 6-7psi regularly but I will be running a MSBC as well to bump up to around 11psi if needed. I would be running race gas at higher boost, but would like to run pump at 6psi. I've been looking at Garrett GT28, GT25 and Mitsu Super 16g and 20g turbo's, but am looking for recommendations on what others have had the best luck with. Does internal or external wastegate make any difference? Quick spool is more important that having big top-end. On the fuel side, what external pumps and regulators are being utilized, and how beneficial is it to have secondary injectors in the airbox? Finally, how do you guys feel about the billet lo-pro oilpans vs. just tapping the stocker? What are the benefits besides clearance? Any oil pump suggestions?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the ball rolling here...
TurboDS1300

A lot of guys happy with there Mitsu turbo's too,
I very much liked my gt28r on a std comp bike, power was there anytime, mine was external wastegate.

Internal wastegates are less adjustable as you can't just replace a spring to change your boost level as a whole actuator is needed, and with boost controllers an internal is less versatile.
internals more often have boost creep

Oh and fuel systems
good external pump,if you use a FMU a very good pump as pressures will be up to 100psi on boost and you don't need flow dropping off.
Regulators Fmu or 1:1 will depend on how much you want to spend on injectors,engine managers etc.

Ok, thanks for the input. Anyone have preference between the 16 and 20g's? I'll be running a PowerCommander for fuel mapping and am looking at the AMS MSBC's as I've heard good results from them. Are all GT28r's setup for external wastegate or are they modified to work with that setup?
Thanks again!

Gt 28,I believe thats what comes in a Velocity Stg 1,power is very smooth and predictable.

the gt28r's that i have seen are std with internal wastegate, i machined the housing flat and bolted on a flange plate that had a wastegate mount and main exhaust front section built in.
seen others remove the workings of the internal wastegate and weld in an extender tube for an external

Powercommander with boost sensing hub ?

I'm not familiar with the boost sensing hub. Can you elaborate? What common FMU's are being run on "Stage 1" kits? Thanks again...this is very helpful.

Most important thing with reliability is haviang the bike tunned by a pro. the top group of tunners i am talking about, it is worth Gold. the more you boost the more needs you will have and the list is long. You going up to 11 could include everything from a billet output shaft to a different clutch set up. 6-7lbs is very reliable.

Powercommander now have a bunch of plug in options, see there web site for details, but the hub allows you with the use of bigger injectors like s2000 to run a 1:1 regulator and map using an external map sensor for boost based mapping.
for more info try Gary Evans website http://p197.ezboard.com/bazbiketech , there are a couple of guys there that are using this system, 50% sucess so far but as far as i can see it should work well, mainly a tuning issue more than the system causing the fault.
You will get good info about the 16t and 20g there too.

Back