Turbo Busa Cranks But Won't Start.

DaReaper

Registered
Hello all, I hope I do not bore you to much with my long post but I wanted to add everything I have done to give everyone a good back story.

I have a 2003 Hayabusa with a PC5 and a turbo kit that will crank but will not start. I have sprayed it will starting fluid and it does start and shut off soon after. That lead me to believe the issue is with the fueling system.

I removed the intake and looked into the pre-combustion chamber and there was not one fuel injector working. The injectors are getting 12 volts to the power wire for the three second duration after the ignition is keyed on. I have a power probe and I was able to test each injector individually and they all open and spray when ground and power is applied from the power probe. I removed my PC5 and connected everything as is from the factory and tried to start it again and the injectors did not spray. Fuel is getting to the injectors and the fuel return line is flowing good also.

My thoughts is there is a sensor or a wire that is not connected that will not allow the ECM to send power and/or ground to the injectors when cranking. I have tried to crank and see if I am getting power and ground to the injectors but because the signal length is short I was not able to get a clean reading. I have checked the camshaft, crankshaft, throttle body position, tip over and intake vacuum sensors and all tested good and were receiving the correct amount of voltage from the ECM and within limits for resistance. I also checked the wires from the injector connector to the ECM connector and they all have little to no resistance in them also. It is full on oil and coolant.

Here is a little back story of the bike...first it is far from stock in every aspect. I dropped the bike last year. I sent it to the same local shop who I dealt with to have my engine and transmission built and the turbo kit installed. He was making up one reason after another why he was not able to complete it so I got it back from him. Obviously he was not to happy about that and I am not saying he did anything to it so it wouldn't work but I am not trying to put anything out of bounds. I have added a lot of different things to the bike and even installed my own wiring board and relay board. I did this because the previous owner was tapping into the same wires repeatedly when he added the Speedo healer, color changing gauges, LEDs and anything else he had on it. I wanted to add a separate relay for the upgraded fuel pump and scavenger pump. I did not mess with anything that the ECM used. I tapped into the ignition wire and I get my power and ground from the battery for my wiring board and relay board. I have used a new deutsch connector so it still looks factory with no spliced or tapped into wires for my ignition source. Currently the bike is stripped down with no fairings, tank, lights or anything else minus what I thought I needed to fix it. I have removed the tank fuel level sensor from the tank and connected it and put it to the full mark to ensure that was not an issue. I am not sure if the headlight, tail lights, blinkers and so on would have anything to do with the engine not running since they all use a common ground. Is that an issue?

I am a diesel technician so I am knowledgeable with just about everything that is needed to put this bike together...or so I thought.

I have no error codes on the gauges. It reads -COO which I was told was correct if no issues are found. I am getting this reading after cranking it for four second as the book tells me. I am getting most of my information and all schematics from Haynes Service & Repair Manual for Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa '99 - 04. It says it was published in 2004 and it has 4184 printed on it in a few different locations. Other then that I do not have anything that tells me an edition or anything like that.
What am I missing?

Last edited:
Good details and troubleshooting thus far Reaper

Having no lights connected to the bike will not prevent it from running, you can even run it without a gauge cluster connected.
The injectors have a common +12VDC and the ECU controls the injectors with a ground signal.
The big round injector connector where you plug in the PCV is where all that wiring is.
Do you have the FSM? If not, you should.
I can provide you with a digital PDF copy if you like, it's about 83 MB.
Or I think it's easy to find via google.
I would try to find some way to see if the ECU is indeed pulsing ground to any of the 4 grey/x injector wires. maybe a 12V LED could help catch a glimpse of the short pulses.

I have had to do this in the past to find electrical problems on my bike, remove everything electronic you've added to the bike.
I know it's turbo'd and it may require some extra things to manage that but get it as close to factory as possible.
Do you know anyone nearby with an 02-07 Busa that you can put your ecu in and try starting to see if it's your ecu or not?

I do have a copy of the service manual but it is a hard to read scanned copy of it not a digital one. That is why I use the HAYNES instead...its easier to read and has been correct with assisting me with any issues until this point. If you were to be able to get me a better copy of it that would be great.

Yes I do know someone who has a 06 Hayabusa but I did not want to switch out my ECM because my manual stops at 04 and I was not sure if his bike is wired the same or it would cause any damage to his bike or my ECM. Do you know if it will work without any issues?

I know your post was a while ago, but i wanted to reply for anyone else that might have a similar issue, not starting or running bad, back firing through throttle bodies. Check the position of the IAP. It should tee in the center of all 4 throttle bodies. If it's been moved, try unplugging and then seeing how the bike run. If you have already fix your problem, please post the fix!

Back