Turbo Busa as a dailly driver...

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I am trying to make the tough decision of which Busa to part with. I am leaning heavily towards keeping the Turbo as selling the "normal" Busa. This is hard for me since I have my old Busa just the way I like it! It runs great and is ALWAYS reliable. I put about 10,000 miles/year on my Busa and I do not want to lose reliability for Turbo HP. I want to jump on it and run it to Cali or wherever with needing a trailer backup in case it blows up or otherwise fails.

I am running a Hahn turbo with 8 pounds of boost.

Thanks

I should add that I still want to be able to do some twisty work, like we did at Angeles Crest and GMR in Cali. Will the Turbo be OK for the twisties? How would you work the twisties with a turbo (in or out of boost)? Thanks!

Shorter arm, and yes the Turbo will be fine. Just remember the turbo is a normal Busa until you want it to pop. You may have to fool around with where the turbo starts to fire. 7,000rpm is common. I have mine at 5500rpm now. It comes on like a Bull dog that can run like a Greyhound. just make sure you take care of lots of precautions. Once you change your swing arm take it out on long trips. I just took mine out on a 2 hour trip in Florida and it was smooth has hell. It cruises at 4000rpm for hours with no turbo and then it is there wne you want it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I am trying to make the tough decision of which Busa to part with.  I am leaning heavily towards keeping the Turbo as selling the "normal" Busa.  This is hard for me since I have my old Busa just the way I like it!  It runs great and is ALWAYS reliable.  I put about 10,000 miles/year on my Busa and I do not want to lose reliability for Turbo HP.  I want to jump on it and run it to Cali or wherever with needing a trailer backup in case it blows up or otherwise fails.

I am running a Hahn turbo with 8 pounds of boost.

Thanks
Only thing that I have run into as breakdowns have been the fuel pump heating up after stopping. i have that taken care of now with the new T-Rex. The Turbo is my bike and I use it everywhere, including going to work on good days 100 miles round trip.

Thanks for the replies NE. Very encouraging! I am going to keep the Turbo and start playing with it. Kinda nice that I sold the extended swingarm as I am committed to swaping it for the OEM. Ideally, i would go for a 2-4" extended, but I am broke at the moment.

Also ideally, I would keep my "regular" Busa, but the insurance kicks my ass! I easily have $11,000 in it in less than a year, but I fear I could only get $7-8k... quite a loss in just 10 months...

Oh well, I just think I will keep both until I am positive on which one I like best (or until someone comes up with a reasonable offer)...

NE: How about the twisty question? In tight curves, I run the bike in and out around 6-7k RMPs and go to WTO exiting the curve. I am afraid of what that equation would do with the turbo bike...

Is it worth considering dialing "down" the turbo... other thoughts?

Thanks

i think you should be fine. Just get use to the riding a little. I run the 8lbs with a max cut off of 10lbs. It goes in and out of the curves very nice. You may want to re-dial in your PC II map it it seems to bang hard coming out of the curves. Play around with it a little, just remember you have 2x's the hp of your other bike.

Yeah, I guess it will just take some time to get used to it. Not sure if I will keep that dump pipe. It looks COOOL, but it is SO loud and I guess it is the cause of the pops and cracks when I let off the throttle.

What is the mechanism (if any) that controls the turbo kicking in at certain RPM's....the wastegate?
(how to make it kick in at 8000 vs. 5500)

Simple put. You have to have enough boost to kick in to make a difference. RPM's are more of a indicator where the boost is starting on the lbs per boost. You can get it to spool up quicker with tune and pipes. the more throttle and gas the more boost you get. The waste gate sets the amount of boost so you do not overboost and blow up the engine.

NE,
DID I READ CORRECTLY? DO YOU HAVE A T-REX? I THINK THEY ARE COOL LOOKING. PLEASE POST SOME PICS AND TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT IT.

NE,
DID I READ CORRECTLY? DO YOU HAVE A T-REX? I THINK THEY ARE COOL LOOKING. PLEASE POST SOME PICS AND TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT IT.
T-Rex fuel pump yes. Pushes 55 gallons per minute @ 75psi. helps to Eliminate starving and going lean. i wil lok for pics. I just have the one showing going in the back away from the motor.

Back