turbo bike finally vaporlocked

Quiksilver

Registered
I went to New Orleans this weekend with a friend(test driving a ducati). I live about 90 minutes away. We rode there almost non stop shut my bike off for 20-30 min then off again for the test drive, that was another 45 minutes of stop and go not seeing over 40 mph. Stopped at dealership for another 45 min and then off again. Well we got lost and once again in stop and go traffic. We finally figured out where we were and was attempting to merge into traffic when I gave it a good but of gas it felt like I was running out of gas, it finally died on me. Had to wait almost 20 minutes for my bike to start. My pump is external and located under the tank. I believe the culprit is the fuel filter, it's sitting on top the valve cover. I've read different fixes for the problem. I have a stock swing arms and I'm not sure if I could fit the pump under the tail section. Any recommendations?

Moving the fuel filter will help, and insulating it as well. Using a good foil/fabric heat insulation to wrap the pump, filter and perhaps lines are your best bet without moving the pump. Fuel system set ups like yours are very hard to keep 100% reliable here in the southern heat. If your weather has been anything like it's been here in Houston, your gonna be in for some real troubles in the middle of summer. It's been in the 80s here, so if your having issues now, it only gets worse.

Another suggestion would be to move you pump to the side of the sup frame. I've seen that done a few times. Just got to make sure you mount the pump as far forward on the subframe as possible while allowing the tail section to be set back on without any clearance issues. Only problem with that is you won't wanna go below 1/4 tank as the pump will be above the bottom of the fuel tank.

Since you have a stock arm, put in on the right side of the sub frame. Do what Rob said and put it as low as you can get it. I have done this before and it fixed my problems. If you are have trouble now, imagine what it will be like in June or July!

I will take a closer look at it. I would like to be able to use more than 3/4 of the tank, but if that is my only option with a stock arm so be it.

Rob I believe I seen a thread where you said you mount your pump under the tail with the extended arm? If so are you able to run below 1/4 tank?

Yes sir, because when it's underneath the sub frame the pump is even lower then the lowest point on the tank, so the only way to starve the fuel pump is to completely run out of fuel.

Also works good for draining the tank on the dyno to switch fuels, or to drain it completely to take the tank off when it's located there.

I would like to extend the bike and place the pump in the location you suggested. I have a little one on the way(#3) money will be tight for awhile so the stretch will have to wait. I think my pump will fit under the tail but it would be really tight I will take a closer look this week and hopefully get something mounted next week. Thanks for the help guys.

I have a stock swingarm and have my pump locd on the right side of the rear subframe.
I also found it helped a lot to insulate the fuel lines (to and from the FMU in my case), as they sit next to the frame which tends to get hot after a long ride in any temperature/weather.

Stock fuel lines:
IMAG2647_zpsae12215e.jpg

IMAG2654_zps2b6b3d22.jpg

Isulated:

IMAG2655_zps37878b18.jpg

IMAG2656_zpsb214deca.jpg

IMAG2657_zpsdbbbb5b3.jpg

IMAG2658_zpse381d9fc.jpg

IMAG2659_zps387ce383.jpg

Thanks for the pics Good to know I can mount my pump back there. No progress yet. I've been busy with work and fam. Hopefully I can get something going this weekend.

Back