Turbo big bore

nhgunnut

Registered
I have an 05 LE running a Hahn Stage1 turbo. I am looking for a way to increase my low end torque. I keep coming back to the idea of using a 1397 kit. Has any one done this using a simular turbo? WHat pistons are you running? What was you ovarall gain?

WITH THE BIG BORE YOU WILL HAVE MORE TORQUE...BUT YOUR COMPRESSION WILL BE HIGHER EVEN WITH A SPACER PLATE, WHICH WILL LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF BOOST YOU CAN RUN...AS WELL AS INCREASE THE CHANCE OF DETONATION/PREIGNITION....TURBO'S LIKE LOW COMPRESSION....

I HAVE A 1360CC KIT ON MY TURBO BIKE. BEST BET IS RUN JE LOW COMPRESSION TURBO PISTONS. I GAINED 30FT-LBS OF TORQUE WITH THE OVERBORE.

(busa2001 @ Sep. 24 2006,15:flamethrowing:) NICE BIKE....
+1
eek2.gif

it doesn't cost much to get custom pistons to whatever compression ratio you want. A spacer plate isn't a very good choice anyway, ruins your squish band.

Go big bore if you like, get 8:1 CR pistons, and run 18 psi on pump gas....its a very fun combo!
beerchug.gif

I wouldn't go over a 1363 bore on the Busa. And you can use the JE turbo pistons and space as necessary to get "squish" with the dish low compression pistons. At .010 in the hole your still in the 9 to 1 range for compression and keep your "squish".

-

A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons. do that you say GOODBYE to your motor. lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost. you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost. keep it around 7 or 8lbs. if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler. with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.

(03HAYABOOSTA @ Sep. 29 2006,14:57) A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons. do that you say GOODBYE to your motor. lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost. you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost. keep it around 7 or 8lbs. if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler. with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.
hmmmm....well. If you're ever in the seattle area, I'll show you one
biggrin.gif

roughly around 40K miles turbo'd. Admittedly, not all of that has been at 18psi, and I've had more than a couple "issues" along the way....for various reasons.

I am not too familar with turbo bikes, but there is not subsitution for cubes.

Hey Ryan. How many turbo Busas are here in Seattle? We should all get together next year and attend some bike event. Myabe a Kawasaki event. We'd be like gunslingers riding into town (insert 'Fist full of dollars music here).
I know that Don Pearsol lilves near Seattle, and I've heard of two other turbo Busa's getting dyno'd locally.

I've yet to meet a single one. I've ran into a couple people at the track that knows somebody building one...but last I enquired on it, he blew it up before it even made it to the track
all_coholic.gif

I spend quite a bit of time at kawi events....you might want to look at my sig
beerchug.gif

I'll be at the VME this weds (vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, incase you've never heard of it)

(03HAYABOOSTA @ Sep. 29 2006,17:57) A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons.  do that you say GOODBYE to your motor.  lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost.  you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost.  keep it around 7 or 8lbs.  if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler.  with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.
Great looking bike ! What swingarm are you running and how do you like it?

(BlueHaya @ Sep. 29 2006,10:54) I am not too familar with turbo bikes, but there is not subsitution for cubes.
HAHA

for what? low rpm torque? yeah probably. Over all torque and hp?

I'll put my mild 7lb boost stock compression bike up against a 1397 anyday

Back