Tunnel tree toppled during wind storm

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
This was in the Calaveras Big Trees SP about 135 miles north of me. It was in the north grove of giant sequoias. Beautiful park. They, like the giant redwoods don’t have much of a root structure and are balanced by limb growth but when the wind blows a hollowed out tree of such weight is in peril.

Very sad . Nothing though lasts forever. It was it's time just like us all at some point .
The stories it could tell of its lifetime would be something.

Very sad . Nothing though lasts forever. It was it's time just like us all at some point .
The stories it could tell of its lifetime would be something.

Yeah, just think, it was growing 400 years before Columbus landed. Here’s a few more in that north grove, still standing thankfully. Strolling thru this grove and standing

in the middle of the stump with stairs is really an experience.

I have a photo somewhere of standing in front of one . We rode to Alice's for lunch .
The trip was a experience of my life time.
It was the first time to California.
Got to ride some of the Pacific coast hwy .

I have a photo somewhere of standing in front of one . We rode to Alice's for lunch .
The trip was a experience of my life time.
It was the first time to California.
Got to ride some of the Pacific coast hwy .

That was probably in the Big Basin SP south of Alices. When I lived in San Jose I was 32 miles from Alices. Hiway 35 and 9 were well travelled by local riders and they all stopped in at Alices, and filled the parking lot across the road. It’s at an intersection for two beautiful roads to get to the ocean or turn East down a winding road to a freeway. Super cars show up too. Great riding roads!

Alices was one of mine and Juli's favorite places to visit on the weekends.

Reactions: c10
We have similar trees in British Columbia...I recall hiking through them, just like Jeremy says, one feels pretty insignificant and small...

There was a show on TV where they would harvest dead fall trees such as these, it was a daunting task as even a small portion of the tree weighed tons and tons....

Sad. 2 summers ago we stopped and took pics of us driving, yes in our car (with mirrors folded!), through that same tree.
If it weren't for those mighty Redwoods, San Fran would never have existed. It started as a port to haul those trees out to Japan and the rest of the world.
Troy

Sad. 2 summers ago we stopped and took pics of us driving, yes in our car (with mirrors folded!), through that same tree.
If it weren't for those mighty Redwoods, San Fran would never have existed. It started as a port to haul those trees out to Japan and the rest of the world.
Troy

Wasn’t that tree as it’s on a walking path. There are several drive thru trees though, maybe you drove thru this one. It’s just off hiway 1 and 101 in Leggett.

The one I went through didnt have a guard rail. It is a privately owned one. Cant recall which town.
Troy

Back