Trying to quit smoking!

Good job man, quitting is hard...I picked it up when I was 15, smoked 10 years and quit...have been smoke free for a little over a year now. I picked up exercise to replace the nicotine bug (and heavy drinking)...I'm glad to say I went from 2 packs a day to running 3 miles and will be doing the Warrior Dash in Tennessee September 17th with friends...you'll feel so much better keeping off cigarettes and after a few years not really have to worry about the dreaded cancer either. :beerchug:

:cheerleader::cheerleader:Well a mile stone here i have made it 9 months!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

It has not been easy, but well worth it!

The weight gain suks but that can be addressed!
Ill make make my bike faster! LOL

I hear you, I'm going through the same battle myself. I am using the patches but they are irritating my skin so I don't wear them very day. When I don't have a patch on, I can't fight the erg to smoke. Really don't have the will power it go cold turkey, but am trying that also. I'm up and down. Wish you good luck with your fight.

congrats, im sure with money your saving from buying cigg's youll be able to get a nice part here and there to help make it go faster, not to mention just your overall health i bet has improved......way to go:thumbsup:

Some enjoy smoking at 100. :laugh:

Smoke.jpg

Great job i know it's hard I did it and the extra weight issue let me know what you do and I will bring mine over for the same lol

:cheerleader::cheerleader:Well a mile stone here i have made it 9 months!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

It has not been easy, but well worth it!

The weight gain suks but that can be addressed!
Ill make make my bike faster! LOL

Congratulations. I have tried to quit smoking several times over the past ~30 years, I have been able to quit for a year, a month, a couple of weeks..but have always gone back to the damn things. I have tried the nicotine patch and gum but they only worked for a couple days.
A friend of mine who smoked FOUR PACKS a day..(hurts my lungs to think about:laugh:) went to a hypnotist named Dr. Kirby Mcgill and said he walked out of his (dr.s) office and never smoked again nor did he have any urges. I`m thinking about going to see this hypnotist...figure if me and the wife would both quit it would save $360.00 a month. Not to mention I can feel it starting to be an issue with being winded much easier, the past 5 or so years.

Congratulations. I have tried to quit smoking several times over the past ~30 years, I have been able to quit for a year, a month, a couple of weeks..but have always gone back to the damn things. I have tried the nicotine patch and gum but they only worked for a couple days.
A friend of mine who smoked FOUR PACKS a day..(hurts my lungs to think about:laugh:) went to a hypnotist named Dr. Kirby Mcgill and said he walked out of his (dr.s) office and never smoked again nor did he have any urges. I`m thinking about going to see this hypnotist...figure if me and the wife would both quit it would save $360.00 a month. Not to mention I can feel it starting to be an issue with being winded much easier, the past 5 or so years.
I have tried every thing in the past, but this time it has been cold turkey, and though it hasn't been easy, i have managed!

I want to add on a few extra cheers of my own. Not all may know that thanks to my loss on our bets -- you won the right to have a smoke -- and you STILL have chosen not to indulge. That is seriously impressive to me. Especially since I have demonstrated the will power of a drunken jellyfish.

You rock. :cheerleader:

This is what I said to my best friend who had smoked for 25 years who desperately wanted to quit......

"Flash foward (15) years from now when you start having a really bad cough and chest pain and you decide to make an appointment to see the doctor. The doctor performs some extensive tests that reveal that you have stage 4 lung cancer (Basically a DEATH sentence). The doctor leaves the room and states he will be back in a few minutes and you dwell on what the doctor has just told you.

Your terrified! You start thinking about your family and all the things you wanted to do in retirement and you know that the survival rate is only 15% within 5 years and you knew that lung cancer accounts for more deaths then Colon, Pancreatic and Breast CANCER combined. Then you start to think of how terrible chemo and radiation will be knowing that your likely gonna die anyway so whats the point. Depression sets in.

You close your eyes and pray to God. You start saying to urself that you had so many chances to save your life by quitting (15) or (20) years ago but you like many others just thought you would be one of the lucky ones and would never develop lung cancer.

Well, God has answerd your prayers while you were waiting in the doctors office and says "I will grant you that wish and turn back the clock to TODAY and says if you quit you will live a long life and die of natural causes in your 80's". If you could make that wish come true would you?

The one time I quit and was successful was cold turkey
Only reason I started back up was the loss of my brother
I had quit for my daughter (was born 6 months before his death)
I plan on quiting again soon as I'm doing better mentally just not physically
My uncle tried hypnosis and it didn't last

Grats on 9 months man. Also to all of you trying right now keep it up. It's a pain but worth it. Particularly at 6$ plus a pack.

I'm at 2 years almost 3. :).

Back