Trying to help a friend !!??!!

b-dub_sr

Team Edward
Registered
A buddy from work came to me this morning and handed me a list and said what do you think (this is what it looked like):

PC V - $375.00
Ignition Module - $299.00
Timing Plate - $79.00
BMC Air Filter - $99.00
TRE - $79.00
Velocity Stacks - $324.00

Now, this guy is new to the Busa ( bought an '06 ), evidently some other guy from the shop here, told him that he has a shop back home and that if he ordered these parts from him, that he would be cranking out 200 HP... :rofl:, I can't stand for some to intentionally try to take advantage of someone and especially a fellow (new) busa owner. I told him that I know for a fact that he is BS'ing you about the HP gain and the prices look high, but i told him that I would get some info for him from the experts (you guys), Im not all that familiar with the GEN I's and I don't want to give him false info. I did a search but most of them are outdated.

He doesn't want to crack open the engine and pretty much the only mods on the bike right now is that its stretched 6" and some other appearance mods.... slip-ons, ect. Nothing performance wise.

He wants the most out of it with out going into the eng. !! Thanks Guys...

Last edited:
Ditch the TRE!
The rest as it stands, he will be 30+/- HP short of his goal unless he uses spray.
From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Ditch the TRE!
The rest as it stands, he will be 30+/- HP short of his goal unless he uses spray.

Thanks Bret, no, he want be spraying, he is content with not getting 200, because I told him that he would have to go into his motor to get that much out of it or the turbo route!! He just wants the most he can get..

What else can you do about the speed restriction?

Last edited:
b-dub_sr said:
Thanks Bret, no, he want be spraying, he is content with not getting 200, because I told him that he would have to go into his motor to get that much out of it or the turbo route!! He just wants the most he can get..

What else can you do about the speed restriction?

Ecu edit or tps mod. Ecu edit would be the way to go and he wouldn't need the PC.

Yea, I was also thinking about the ECU edit, but there is noone here experienced enough with to do it... Probably go with the gps mod

Yep. Ditch the TRE and the PCV and go for the ECU Edit. Tell him to use that cash for SS brake lines and upgrade the pads. Going fast is great, but stopping is way cooler :thumbsup:

A buddy from work came to me this morning and handed me a list and said what do you think (this is what it looked like):

PC V - $375.00
Timing Plate - $79.00
BMC Air Filter - $99.00
TRE - $79.00

Now, this guy is new to the Busa ( bought an '06 ), evidently some other guy from the shop here, told him that he has a shop back home and that if he ordered these parts from him, that he would be cranking out 200 HP... :rofl:, I can't stand for some to intentionally try to take advantage of someone and especially a fellow (new) busa owner. I told him that I know for a fact that he is BS'ing you about the HP gain and the prices look high, but i told him that I would get some info for him from the experts (you guys), Im not all that familiar with the GEN I's and I don't want to give him false info. I did a search but most of them are outdated.

He doesn't want to crack open the engine and pretty much the only mods on the bike right now is that its stretched 6" and some other appearance mods.... slip-ons, ect. Nothing performance wise.

4 into 1 exhaust(his choice)
MPS air shifter w/ecu edit by MPS(will raise rpm limit, unify timing, de-restrict the top speed etc)
Dyno tune from reputable shop. most places dont have the ability to tune with the ecu editor so he will probably need a PC-V(and there is nothing wrong with one).
16 tooth front sprocket or 42-44 rear sprocket
air box mod

bmc air filter is fine. but so is stock filter.

ignition module you dont need. timing plate you dont need. tre you dont need. after market velocity stacks you dont need. just cut the 2 long stacks to match the short stacks or get 2 more short stacks.

if hes going to be racing it. he might as well get the clutch mod and clutch slave cylinder support too.

those mods will put him in the 155-165 hp range and 95-105 torque. at the wheel

new rear tire

if hes going to be racing it. he might as well get the clutch mod and clutch slave cylinder support too.

new rear tire

Thanks... He want be racing on the strip but maybe the occasional street race out in the desert....

Thanks for the info..

new rear tire

Is the air shifter and sprocket change going to be more of a Drag set up.... Is it really not necessary for a mainly a street ride??

PC V - $375.00
Timing Plate - $79.00
BMC Air Filter - $99.00
TRE - $79.00

The only thing on that list worth spending money on is the PCV (and that's only if he doesn't go ECU editor).

Ignition module - not needed!
Timing Plate - ? Why?
BMC - only if his oem is completely junk would I replace it with aftermarket!
TRE - NEVER......get the GPS mod for Gen-I or change it in the ECU for Gen-II
Velocity Stacks - NO NO NO.....if he really wants the additional 1-2whp get the short velocity stacks in the Gen-I and GSXR1K short stacks for the Gen-II. The $300+ ones are NOT needed...

Tell him to just call Brock and get his back to basic kit: Hayabusa and other Package Deals | Brock's Main Store

Is the air shifter and sprocket change going to be more of a Drag set up.... Is it really not necessary for a mainly a street ride??

my bike is mainly a strret bike. very little drag race but when you said all out i thought you meant acceleration. not necessary but still nice to have. esp the sprocket.

and if you ever get an air shifter you will never go without one again.

the sprocket will just make the bike acelerate that much faster and costs like $20. i think is actually the best $$ you can spend. my bikes top speed is still 187 with a 16/40 sprocket combo

my bike is mainly a strret bike. very little drag race but when you said all out i thought you meant acceleration. not necessary but still nice to have. esp the sprocket.

and if you ever get an air shifter you will never go without one again.

the sprocket will just make the bike acelerate that much faster and costs like $20. i think is actually the best $$ you can spend. my bikes top speed is still 187 with a 16/40 sprocket combo

Sorry about that... Thanks for the info!!

The only thing on that list worth spending money on is the PCV (and that's only if he doesn't go ECU editor).

Ignition module - not needed!
Timing Plate - ? Why?
BMC - only if his oem is completely junk would I replace it with aftermarket!
TRE - NEVER......get the GPS mod for Gen-I or change it in the ECU for Gen-II
Velocity Stacks - NO NO NO.....if he really wants the additional 1-2whp get the short velocity stacks in the Gen-I and GSXR1K short stacks for the Gen-II. The $300+ ones are NOT needed...

Tell him to just call Brock and get his back to basic kit: Hayabusa and other Package Deals | Brock's Main Store

Thanks Got-Busa, good info

Dump the entire list, none of it will help him with what he has and the pricing is through the roof. He needs to take that dude out back and introduce him to some pain.

If it doesn't want to touch a motor bolt he needs to find a performance pipe that will make around 12+ RWHP. Back when you could get around 200 ponies out of a Gen I with pistons and cams for $2K, don't know what that would cost today.

Tell him to join the oRg and post up what he wants. You know the gang here, ever helpful :laugh:

Back