TRUCK RUNS ON WOOD

NIGHTFLIGHT

Banned
CAN THIS BE FOR REAL???

IM NOT A MECHANIC BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW IT RUNS.
shutup.gif

WOOPS SORRY 4 CAPS
wowold.gif

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page2557.html?theme=light

ThATS SITE IS FROM A RADIO SHOWS AIRS NATION WIDE + 1/2 CANADA
CALLED COAST 2 COAST AM GOOD RADIO SHOW.

Ok looking that that "set up" I am gonna have ot raise the BS flag on this..

#1 if you look at where the what I am guessing is the smoke injector is, it is nothing more then a throtle body hooked to some kind of PVC pipe. If you look at the air cleaner you will notice the lid is turned upside down,, most likely beacuse the hose that feed the air cleaned is blocked by the throtle body on the end of the pipe..

#2 smoke is not combustable,, it is in extreme cases explposive at best...

ever hear of a dack draft? or some times called a smoke explosion(sp)
For wood or anyother buring thing to burn you need 3 key factors..

Heat, Fuel,, and Oxygen. take away any of the 3 and the fire goes out..
Now lets take a log burning in a low oxygen enviroment,, on the high end of a low o2 enviroment you get smoke to make BBQ, on the low end you get nothing.. well maybe some small amounts of smokdering.. Now supply that hot pile of fuel with a burst of o2 and you get a back draft,, or smoke explosion..

So in a perfect world we have this low o2 hot smoke coming from the bed of this truck to the engine through a throtle body past a open element filter where there is 21% o2 and it would explode.. If it had the feul along with it as well as the heat.. by the time the heat got ot the front of the truck ot the engine it would have lost so much heat to not matter..

#3 Have you ever listend to the people who call into that show? If I am ever depressed i listen to it just for a luagh.. I do not honestly know how the guy who hosts the show keeps from busitng out laughing all the time. If given the chance 50% of the callers would talk aobut being butt diddles by the vistors..

Long story short,, guy with the truck is full of crap, and the show is mosr of a comdey.

Ok looking that that "set up" I am gonna have ot raise the BS flag on this..

#1 if you look at where the what I am guessing is the smoke injector is, it is nothing more then a throtle body hooked to some kind of PVC pipe. If you look at the air cleaner you will notice the lid is turned upside down,, most likely beacuse the hose that feed the air cleaned is blocked by the throtle body on the end of the pipe..

#2 smoke is not combustable,, it is in extreme cases explposive at best...

ever hear of a dack draft? or some times called a smoke explosion(sp)
For wood or anyother buring thing to burn you need 3 key factors..

Heat, Fuel,, and Oxygen. take away any of the 3 and the fire goes out..
Now lets take a log burning in a low oxygen enviroment,, on the high end of a low o2 enviroment you get smoke to make BBQ, on the low end you get nothing.. well maybe some small amounts of smokdering.. Now supply that hot pile of fuel with a burst of o2 and you get a back draft,, or smoke explosion..

So in a perfect world we have this low o2 hot smoke coming from the bed of this truck to the engine through a throtle body past a open element filter where there is 21% o2 and it would explode.. If it had the feul along with it as well as the heat.. by the time the heat got ot the front of the truck ot the engine it would have lost so much heat to not matter..

#3 Have you ever listend to the people who call into that show? If I am ever depressed i listen to it just for a luagh.. I do not honestly know how the guy who hosts the show keeps from busitng out laughing all the time. If given the chance 50% of the callers would talk aobut being butt diddles by the vistors..

Long story short,, guy with the truck is full of crap, and the show is mosr of a comdey.

Yes, this is possible.
A concept like this was featured on the TV Show "Planet Mechanics". The guys built a digester that "chars" wood in order to produce natural gas. The gas is then used to run the internal combustion engine. There is a lot of extra barrels, various pipes and particulate filters that make it work properly.

Not BS. Wikipedia article
wood gas powered pick-up[/url]
funky looking video of a project wood gas powered car[/url]
This is a
of a static set-up[/url], with a car engine driving a generator.

For engineering types with lots of time: long reading

In Spain after 1939, due to the shortage of fuel, many cars and trucks were fitted with a similar system (only a bit tidier). The principle is that the incomplete combustion of wood, coal or even acethylene produces a mix of gases, including carbon monoxide, that have some caloric power, but enough to move the engine.

Here are some pics and a diagram (in spanish, sorry) here

Anutha diagram

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe so, but I also call BS on this particular truck. If it was having smoke plumbed into the engine, why is the air cleaner open? It should be a sealed unit, shouldn't it?

The aircleaner serves as nothing more than an intake for clean air. The mixture of air fuel happens downstream of it in a device that serves as a "carburetor" mixing atmospheric air and gas produced by the apparatus.

Remember wood is not flammable, its the gas coming of the hot wood that is. What the guy is feeding into his engine is not smoke but the gasses that come off the wood after its heated (baked). I have seen this before.

Back