Troubleshooting...bike died...small fire....

Chipster

Registered
07 with a 330 rear and custom molded rear. Was riding to my soccer game yesterday going pretty easy and all of a sudden I went to give some throttle and no response. What happened next is a little fuzzy because it happened quick but I don't remember if the engine died or I killed the ignition but I was able to pull off to the side and I was able to see a little smoke from behind me. Got off and quickly realized it was coming from under the rear seat. Quickly popped it off and noticed a small flame towards the drivers side inside there and blew it out. Put the key back in and now I have zero power to anything. It looks like all the wiring is sheathed and I don't know what all runs back through there. I assumed just brake light wiring but it must be something more. Anyone have any ideas on what might have happened? Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? I haven't pulled the rear seat/fairing before so any tips for that would be appreciated too. I had driven back to VA late Saturday night to make this game so it was a bummer that I missed it and had to deal with this. I took some pics but it is probably hard to see.

Pictures attached. Might be able to see the slightly singed area of the sheathing pretty much dead center in the second pic.

0412150951.jpg

0412150951a.jpg

The main fuse and starter relay are basically straight across from the battery and could have heated up and then blew the heat or flames rearward some.
I would check those for sure.

The rear fairing comes off pretty easy. Remove the grab bar, then the 2 Phillips screws then the tie down anchors, then the 2 silver screws on the outside, then there are
6 pins underneath (3 on each side) then pull outward and rearward and it will come off. Will have to remove the seat lock cable and the connecter for the brake lights.

Welp, it's the voltage regulator. The main cable from that is what caught fire. I don't know if the voltage regulator failed and led to the wire issue or if the wire failed first and led to the voltage regulator failing. Before I buy another one, do you guys think this is the only issue or do you think that would have caused other failures that I should check for?

0414151929.jpg

Welp, it's the voltage regulator. The main cable from that is what caught fire. I don't know if the voltage regulator failed and led to the wire issue or if the wire failed first and led to the voltage regulator failing. Before I buy another one, do you guys think this is the only issue or do you think that would have caused other failures that I should check for?

Well you're going to have to buy another one so it doesn't really matter at this point.
It's possible that the insulation on the wires failed and then some shorted out.
The regulator could have also failed internally and caused a short and fire.

When you install the new regulator and it starts I would feel the wires to see if they heat up more then normal.
If they do something else is wrong.

those regulators are known to fail...i have an '05 with a fair amount of electrical mods and several friends with similar models and mods were experiencing this problem a couple years ago...i preemptively replaced mine with an upgraded one from POWERHOUSE and it has worked flawlessly ever since :beerchug:

click linky

Thanks very much guys. I did go ahead and order one from eBay which said improvement over stock. I don't have any mods that require any additional electical implications but if this one fails I'll check out those ones from powerhouse. Going to paint the bike while it's apart so I guess this was fate haha. I'll post back once I get it installed and see how it's running.

Make sure you test the leads out of the stator now also, you can still have more problems!

Good idea. I was considering just going ahead and ordering another one. I will test out the battery too.

Un plug the rectifier and charge the battery, then see if the bike will start and run!

Not at all, unplugging it and running the bike is how you test the stator.

Correct, And it will also tell you if there is anything else wrong.
I had a customers bike that the rectifier blew up, and shorted the ECU

Alright, looks like I didn't look close enough and assumed it was just the rectifier but I got the rear fairing completely off and it looks like it burned into the harness some too. I don't think it ate into any wires and the battery is charging so I'm going to give it a try if it charges fully. If it doesn't start, I see used harnesses for 100-150 but it seems like I'd be about as well off splicing unless I decide to spend the 600 on a new harness. Unfortunately I realized the rear fairing has a dent that I never noticed either so I'm debating whether to replace that too.

This! Use either the heat shrink crimp butt connectors or solder it and adhesive lined heat shrink. Either one when done correctly will be a permanent, moisture proof solution.

Thanks!! Ordered some. Battery was still charging last night but was fully charged this morning so I'll give it a go after work. I guess that will determine if I need fuses and stator. On the fence about trying to massage out the dent/dimple or replacing the rear fairing. Now that I know that is there I'm sure it will annoy me. Also see a place that sells a stretched rear fairing and since I have the wide tire kit, maybe that would look good.

Back