trouble gettin friend's laptop to connect

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
She's talked to Time Warner & the router company over the phone & neither one can help her to rectify the problem. She just can't get it to connect to the net.... Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you using Wifi? does the laptop have Wifi? Does the laptop also have Ethernet plug on it that could try instead of Wifi connection? Does it have network card? What exactly comes up on the laptop does it even detect the wifi network at home??? Some other software that automatically connects to the internet when pc boots up maybe interfering with your browser like Sype make sure there is no other program trying to access the net. And also try using the modem only without the router, is there another pc in the home that is on the net? Did you try dialing a direct i.p. from the browser? what comes up if you do. What browser are you trying to connect with maybe a problem with the browser have you tried reinstall the browser. Make sure laptop is clean of spyware viruses and erase all the cookies. If you have all your data backed an all the software to reload a wipe of the hard drive and just reload windows( assuming you using windows) I am not a pc guru just things I would start with trying to solve the problem on my own.

Last edited:
could i possibly call u at some point when i'm at her place? u seem to know what you're doin. pm me your info if so, u'd be a great help
Posted via Mobile Device

Has this laptop previously worked with the current internet?

What happens when she tries to connect?

What does the browser saw when she tries to go to a web page?
Posted via Mobile Device

Has this laptop previously worked with the current internet?

What happens when she tries to connect?

What does the browser saw when she tries to go to a web page?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, need that info...

I don't know specifics yet, just wanted to start the thread & get some info, will post details when i find out
Posted via Mobile Device

If it's ATT, then it's likely DSL? If so, you'll have to go into the router settings and correct for PPOE and the loginID and password before your router will be allowed to connect to the DSL service.

I had same problem with on of my friends I hooked up the other day.

need to know:
1. DSL or cable service thru ATT?
2. Make and brand of Router
3. Operating System
4. Using wired or wireless connection...

Before you go too deep into this, make sure it isn't something as simple as a driver needing to be installed.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
Click the "Hardware" tab at the top, then click the "Device Manager" button.

or go to run and type "devmgmt.msc" :p

Go to where it says either "Network Adapters" or "Other". That is usually a good place to start. Let us know what you see if you haven't got it fixed already

Last edited:
Back