Triumph cans Hayabusa rival

phesby

Registered
From MCN:

"MCN has learnt that Triumph has scrapped its project to build the first genuine 200mph production motorcycle.

For last three years the British factory has been developing a 1300cc hypersport bike to rival the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-12R and the company intended it to be the first production machine to break the 200mph barrier.

But MCN has learnt that after calling in industry consultants Triumph has decided that with the limited production capacity at its Hinckley factory the bike would not have been a profitable proposition.

And with the market for the 180bhp superbike appearing to be in decline as well the company decided to cut its losses despite having already invested about £4 million.

MCN spotted the bike undergoing tests at the start of September and it appeared to be almost ready for production, but all but one of the seven prototypes have now been destroyed with the remaining bike going to Triumph’s private museum."

Long live the king!

I bought MCN today today and am glad its been canned - although I wonder if it's just because it could not beat the BUSA :laugh:

I'm glad they bailed. They lack the experience to make a safe 200mph bike IMHO

I bet they found that it wasn't as easy to create a 200MPH bike and keep the cost comparable to the others on the road...

Kawi had tons of experience in top speed bikes before the 12 and they struggled to JUST match the performance out of the Busa; that has to tell you something. (They still haven't done it...)

Not sure how I feel about it getting the CAN to be honest. That means one less contender pushing the limits for us a little bit further. At this point, I really don't see any real competition coming into play even with Honda's new blackbird.

No competition means no new performance for the Busa, I'm sure. If you are the top dog already, what is the point in investing more money into development...

Cloud

What cloud said...

Also, what good does it do to build a 200mph bike and not be able to prove you've done it in "production" form because of the 180 limit now imposed almost everywhere? There doesn't seem to be a market for an unproven bike in the hyperbike class...duh!

Okay, here's a thought..... since the busa is limited to 186 and can be usurped with a TRE and then stock it reaches like 196[?], and very few find the top of 6th gear in life OR on a track, why don't they just make 6th gear taller or bigger or whatever so gearing-wise it tops 200 easily? Might make 6th rollons slower but so what - shift down for more speed anyway. What do ya think? I know it's a mod, but Suz could do it and make it production EASY

When you dont continue to develope your competition will soon leave you behind.As far as performance goes,speed has always been and will always be a matter of how much one wants to spend,if going faster every year is what matters most there are more capable companies out there than you can shake a stick.For instance factory GP bikes always have consultants and after market influence on thier side.The Busa is a superb bike as it is.Very fast,after market needed to make it handle its best.But handling is not all this bike is about either,just my 2cents.

Okay, here's a thought..... since the busa is limited to 186 and can be usurped with a TRE and then stock it reaches like 196[?], and very few find the top of 6th gear in life OR on a track,  why don't they just make 6th gear taller or bigger or whatever so gearing-wise it tops 200 easily?  Might make 6th rollons slower but so what - shift down for more speed anyway.  What do ya think?  I know it's a mod, but Suz could do it and make it production EASY
may be I'm wrong here but i thought it would be a lot harder than just a tre and different rear sproket to pull much over 200mph without some further modification - am I ?

Okay, here's a thought..... since the busa is limited to 186 and can be usurped with a TRE and then stock it reaches like 196[?], and very few find the top of 6th gear in life OR on a track,  why don't they just make 6th gear taller or bigger or whatever so gearing-wise it tops 200 easily?  Might make 6th rollons slower but so what - shift down for more speed anyway.  What do ya think?  I know it's a mod, but Suz could do it and make it production EASY
may be I'm wrong here but i thought it would be a lot harder than just a tre and different rear sproket to pull much over 200mph without some further modification - am I ?
That's all I know... and it ain't much ;)

CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
BIKENET Online
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 196 mph
BIKE MAGAZINE - UK [May 2000]
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 189 mph
SUPERWHEELS Magazine [Italy]
Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 191.6 mph
MCN [Motorcycle News UK] March 2000
Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 189 mph
SportRider Magazine October 2001
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa : 192.4 mph
Motorcyclist Magazine June 1999
Hayabusa Top Speed: 189 mph
CycleWorld June 1999
Hayabusa Top Speed: 194 mph
http://myweb.cableone.net/toddshelton/testdata.html

I figure a lil 6th gear adjustment would fix the 200 mark, wouldn't it??

Personally I am kinda bummed. From what I had seen the Big Trumpet was going to be pretty incredible. I mean I am not saying I would surrender my Busa, but I may have had to add another ride. I have liked Triumph since they're return from the brink, almost had a 955 once in fact. Besides it would be a treat to be on something that isn't Japanese. I mean the Japanese are doing a fine job; I just like the idea of riding something different.
I imagine that loosing the top speed crown would either force Suzuki to rethink it's position or go in an entirely different direction. Either way it would most likely result in a better Busa...

Triumph needs to get its 600 up to speed before trying to market a 13oo supersport. Their 600 has been a dismal failure and still doesn't meet the standards of the current 600 crop. After 3 years of mods on their "new" it still lacks competitive status...and now they're thinking about a 1300 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

word, Dezzy! That's what I'm tawkin about. :)
I like triumph too, but.....walk WELL before you run, run GREAT before you fly

with stock gearing at redline, the Busa could pull 202. This is not a gearing problem, it is a horsepower problem... There is not enough power to redline 6th with stock power...

Cloud

with stock gearing at redline, the Busa could pull 202. This is not a gearing problem, it is a horsepower problem... There is not enough power to redline 6th with stock power...

Cloud
i see. so, it's really battling the wind then? more HP would push it? So Suz could tweak the tune and maybe change the pipe - can't change the pipe for sound limitations - increase compression or something small to send it over the 200 edge without huge cost or multiple mods? They should do it. I know Busa is KING but it's not 200mph yet. :) Wouldn't take much.. about 2% might ever see it, the rest would buy it for the potential :D

yup... the more technical guys on the forum stated in a previous post that very minor mods would put the bike over 200.

It also depends on your surroundsings as well, such as altitude.

There have been some reports which you can find that have the Busa over 200 already stock. I remembering one review quoting 200.2. Was going to post, but I can't locate it again...

Cloud

Back