Trim Gen 2 fairing for oil filter access?

cyclefarm

Registered
You guys are scaring me about the fairings on the Gen 2. I never thought the Gen 1 was exactly easy to change oil, but I've read that it's quite a bit more difficult on the Gen 2. On my new-to-me '11 Gen 2, I can see the oil filter through a vent hole in the right lower fairing. I can get my hand on the filter but probably couldn't change it through the hole. However, my fairing is damaged a bit anyway, so I've been wondering if I could cut that vent hole and make it larger, enough to change the oil filter without having to remove any plastic. If it was done right I don't think it would look too bad. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts? Thanks.

When the Gen II was first released there were some guys cutting the fairing, but I've always changed mine by just removing the allen screws, the two push pins in the bottom by the front tire and one push pin near the radiator and just pulling the bottom of the brake side fairing out and reaching in.

Only recall reading about ONE member having a hard time with fairing removal....and he had preexisting damages to the fairing itself which caused the problems. Otherwise, BLANCA's video tutorial is a recipe/formula for success :)

But if you prefer, the link posted by Flicka will work just fine too.

Thanks Flicka for the link, that's what I was looking for. Dr. E's trimmed fairing looks great I think. Probably gonna try it. Like I said, my fairing is already scuffed up so it's a good one to experiment with.

its alot easier to do it the longer way. take ur time and make it easy on ur stress level. i take the dash panels off. there is a hidden screw going down into the back of the nose fairing into the ram air duct. that will give u room to unlock the side fairings with ur hand from behind also. its not that bad. i just make sure i have a few hours and go slow and do it without flexing the plastics. if u cheat it and break something ur going to be pissed. fairing arnt cheap

on my gen2 I change mine exactly the way dadofthree said thought I was the only one that done it that way!:laugh:

After you follow Blanca's tutorial and do it once, you'll realize it's not that big of a deal at all.
Plus you really feel like you accomplished something. :rofl:

Back