Trick-or-treater killed :(

motogp08

Registered
By JOE PERRY
Item Staff Writer
jperry@theitem.com

A 12-year-old boy who was killed Friday night while trick or treating with his family on South Wise Drive was shot by a 22-year-old convicted felon with an AK-47 who fired “in excess ofâ€￾ 29 shots, said Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson at a Saturday news conference.

Tony “T.J.â€￾ Darrisaw, a Bates Middle School student, was shot several times, with a fatal wound to the head, she said, and pronounced dead at Tuomey Regional Medical

Center shortly after 8:30 p.m. His 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and father, Freddie Grinnell, were also shot, and suffered non life-threatening injuries, she said, and are recovering at home.

Quentin Lamar Patrick, 22, of 215 S. Wise Drive, who has several convictions for dealing crack, has been charged with murder, two counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, one count of assault with intent to kill, and faces additional charges.

Patterson said his girlfriend, Ericka Patrice Pee, 19, is being charged with obstruction of justice after she tried to leave the home they share after the shooting with a 2-year-old daughter and $7,500 in “bundled cash.â€￾

Patterson said the shooting “had absolutely nothing to do with any type of gang activity,â€￾ later calling it an “isolated incident.â€￾ She was not aware if Patrick had legal representation, and said a bond hearing had yet to be scheduled.

Patterson called it an “awful tragedy,â€￾ as the family had left Halloween on Main and decided to stop at a few more houses for trick-or-treating.

Daphne Grinnell and her toddler waited in their car while her husband and three sons — attired in “ghoulishâ€￾ costumes, Patterson said — approached Patrick’s home, whose front porch was lit. Patrick opened fire, shooting through the door, the wall and windows of his home, which is across from Evergreen Cemetery and slightly less than a half mile from Palmetto Tennis Center. Law enforcement and first responders were on scene shortly after 911 received the call at 8:24 p.m., she said.

Patrick reportedly told police he’d been shot before and emptied his AK-47 when he saw people wearing masks approach his house.

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, South Wise Drive residents were talking about the tragedy that struck an otherwise quiet neighborhood, and Nell Welch of 205 S. Wise Drive said the Grinnells had stopped by the home she’s shared with her husband Joe for 42 years — only the third set of trick-or-treaters they saw on Halloween.

“They were very mannered,â€￾ the 67-year-old, who runs a beauty salon out of her home after retiring from J.C. Penney’s salon, said. “It’s very shocking.â€￾

Joe Welch, 67, retired after managing Simpson’s Hardware for 30 years and said Freddie Grinnell came up with his sons and got candy, too, and the boys joked about him “being bigâ€￾ for a trick-or-treater. He said other than an old truck being broken into years ago, they’ve “never had trouble in this neighborhoodâ€￾ where he and his wife raised their children Cindy Berberich, 42, and Tony Welch, 45.

“I like it here because it’s so quiet and no one bothers you or anything,â€￾ his wife said. “I never wanted to really move from here — I still don’t.â€￾

Her husband said “what happened down there can happen anywhereâ€￾ regardless of the level of affluence or the price of homes, adding that he heard from another neighbor who claimed to have heard what sounded like 60 gunshots.

“That’s the kind of world we live in today,â€￾ he said, while sitting on his front porch’s bench, looking across the street at the cemetery.

“I say the devil had to be in that,â€￾ his wife said, squinting in the sun.

The Welchs said Patrick and his girlfriend — five houses down from theirs — had only lived there about two months.

“Don’t too much shock me no anymore,â€￾ he said. “We trust the Lord for whatever He provides. He’s watching out for us.â€￾

About 20 hours after the shooting, Lisa Dixon, her husband Lenwood and neighbors Lorie Rogers and Victoria Jacobs stood in the Dixon’s driveway while Katelyn Dixon, 8, played in the front yard with Maya Rogers, 8 and the Dixon’s grandson Savion, 18 months old. Lisa Dixon, a 41-year-old fourth-grade teacher at Willow Drive Elementary, said she’s lived with her 49-year-old husband at 219 S. Wise Drive for about six years. Lenwood, a chemical operator at Giant Resource Recovery, said their German shepherd mix Goldy “was going crazyâ€￾ last night after he heard what sounded like firecrackers.

Lisa Dixon said she was tired and didn’t want to see any more trick-or-treaters and wanted to turn the lights off when the gunfire erupted. Her husband walked out in the yard and said he saw people “scramblingâ€￾ around, and it wasn’t long before “it was total chaos out here.â€￾

“Something like this, you can’t explain it,â€￾ Jacobs, who lives nearby on Thomas Drive said. The 48-year-old on medical retirement said she’s taught her son Gary Lee Osborne Jr., 11, to be streetwise and cautious. “For somebody to take a child’s life like that and think nothing of it — I can’t imagine. My heart breaks for the mother. There’s no justification in taking any life. I told my child — there’s bad in the world, but there’s more good.â€￾

Rogers, a 29-year-old office manager, has lived at 217 S. Wise Drive for three years and met Patrick about a month ago when his pit bull puppies got loose and she returned them, and he seemed nice, with nothing out of the ordinary going on at his house, she said.

“Anybody can wave and seem pleasant,â€￾ Jacobs said, “but that’s just evil.â€￾

Diane Summers lives on Dove Street but grew up at 211 S. Wise Drive where her mother still lives.

“I’ve never, ever, ever, ever heard anything like this,â€￾ the 57-year-old said, her arms folded across her chest, shaking her head back and forth.

Jacobs leaned against a car smoking a cigarette, and wondered aloud how Patrick got ahold of what police said was a “foreign madeâ€￾ AK-47.

“We may never know the answers to these questions,â€￾ she said, exhaling. “We may never know what was in his mind at that moment.â€￾

1.) Its a felony for a FELON to posess a firearm in the FIRST place. So what was the azzhat doing with it? ??? :sarcasm:

2.) It was halloween, where kids go door to door for candy...happens EVERY YEAR! :sarcasm:

I'm just without words for this one...*shakes head* :(

Very sad! thats why we dont stray far from home, prayers for the familly.
Posted via Mobile Device

The drugs made him paranoid he thought everybody trying 2 get him.

saw that on cnn terrible really sad.

I noticed some kids around here banned shrink wrap around telephone polls both sides street.like a road block of sorts.

I guess as a prank luckly looks like cars went thru first+snapped it.

Just think if a bike had come along.???

Very sad indeed.

I'm not a US citizen but let me tell ya, if Uncle Ted was running this guy would get my vote!

- TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS - TED NUGENT[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope this doesn't give the NEXT administration ammunition for the AWB part 2.

Using the dreaded evil AK47 on a poor little 12 year old. See if they (AK's) were banned the 12 year old would still be alive, Right?

I doubt anyone will mention, "Hey, He was a felon and shouldn't have had one in the first place." :rulez:

This will be a Pelosi (Brady, handgun control, violence prevention, etc) wet dream. IMHO

Hold on tight,
Chris

Back