Tribute to those who were lost

I just sent this out to our Marines this morning.

Ladies and Gentlemen; Patriots all:

On September 11th of 2001, I was turning over with my relief as I completed my tour as the MMCO of HMM-262 aboard MCAS Futenma on Okinawa. Super Typhoon Nari was making its third pass over the Island and we had been on lockdown for a week plus, due to the heavy weather. Around 2100, Okinawa time, I was watching television and as I surfed through the channels, I happened to come across some sort of disaster movie. It was focused on New York City and one of the Trade Center Towers was smoking from some sort of explosion or impact. The special effects were uncomfortably realistic; a few minutes later was coverage of the second impact. Shortly thereafter I was called into work with my CO to begin contingency planning in case of aggressive actions in Asia.

Many of us remember what we were doing that day, in the Corps, or in civilian life. That event shaped a new way of thinking for many of us as Americans; it began an era of knowing that we are not intrinsically safe from evil in the world - that we must protect ourselves and those we love. I ask that you take a few minutes today to reflect on those events - the sons and daughters that America lost in a war, brought to us that morning in our homeland. Reflect on the importance of what we do, as we never know when our skills will be called in actual defense of our way of life, at home or abroad.

America is a wondrous place and our Corps is a wondrous group with which to serve - because of all of you.

As an American, I thank you for your serve and sacrifice. You may not know my sons, but you are protecting them as they live and grow and I am indebted to each of you for that.

As a Marine, I appreciate the opportunity to interact with some of the most amazing people that I have ever met; Marines are truly incredible creatures. We are all mean, and all green - we are brothers and sisters; family.

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli and on to the new verse of Marine Corps history being written with our service. Semper Fidelis.

With thanks and humility,
Maj Shawn Hughes, USMC

I remember that same feeling watching the news that morning. We were off the coast of California doing exercises to prepare for our upcoming deployment. It didn't register at first as being real, I kept thinking I would wake up. Then they started passing the word over the 1MC.... (announcement system for you not so sea worthy folks)

It was early morning where we were. I was mid breakfast. Literally had a spoon going to my mouth when it clicked.

To those still serving. My hats off to you. Thank you for protecting us while we sleep. While we live our daily lives. Sometimes we forget just how blessed we are in America. We don't think that there are those who would hurt us just because we are American.

7 years.... seems so long yet so short.

Shawn that post was great. It's a great reminder to them why they do what they do, and it helps those who don't get what it is that makes men and women in the military so proud of what they do.

Remember 9/11/2001. The biggest tradgedy we could commit would be to forget.

I was driving home from work when I heard the news.About the time the 2nd plane hit.Couldn't get home fast enough.I came sliding sideways into the driveway,ran into the house,yelled for the wife and said "we've been attacted".I had to turn the TV on to convince her.
My phone was ringing off the hook cause my wife and daughter took a trip to NYC a few days before to see a broadway musical.When my little sis called she was in tears,she thought they was still there.She didn't know they arrived home 2 days before.
My wife and son have been back since then.When she saw the hole in the ground she was in tears.

Last edited:
SEMPER FI

I could have retired that year, but I stayed. My last day in the Army Reserve is the end of this month. Thank you for your service - this is why we are the greatest country in the world and we will always stand up to tyranny.

skydivr
LTC, ARMOR, Army Reserve (soon Ret.)

I have yet to make the trip. I saw the pictures and that was more than enough for me. The stories... I don't know if it's even comprehendable to me still. We had a few guys on the boat from NY. I could see the look in their eyes and I knew how that had to hurt. I can still recall their reactions to this day. Sends chills down my spine.

Back