Tread wear VS fun

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Now a tire question of how to wear them down QUICKER!
If normal inflation is 42 and track inflation is 32 for high speeds, wider grip patch, faster heating for sticky, and unfortunately faster wear, wouldn't it be bright to also run lower PSI on the street where you REALLY NEED wider grip patch for sand and God knows what, better grip from quicker heat up, and a slightly smoother ride? Say, a compromise to 35 psi ?? Anyone ever do this? Pros and cons here? Just a thot

Bonus Question: Anyone put WD40 on their rims to keep them cleaner and shiney and protected?? Someone told me about that and I might try it. Avoiding putting it near the rubber seam or course.

Now a tire question of how to wear them down QUICKER!  
If normal inflation is 42 and track inflation is 32 for high speeds, wider grip patch, faster heating for sticky, and unfortunately faster wear, wouldn't it be bright to also run lower PSI on the street where you REALLY NEED wider grip patch for sand and God knows what, better grip from quicker heat up, and a slightly smoother ride?  Say, a compromise to 35 psi ??   Anyone ever do this?  Pros and cons here?  Just a thot

Bonus Question:  Anyone  put WD40 on their rims to keep them cleaner and shiney and protected??  Someone told me about that and I might try it.  Avoiding putting it near the rubber seam or course.
I jus use autosol on the polished lips and wash the spokes.
WD on my tires might be a lil snakey.

I use either WD-40 or Lemon Pledge to keep my wheels clean. Just wipe off any access that gets on the tires.

I use WD-40 to clean the chain after every ride, then as long as i am there I spin the (rear) tire (by hand) and clean the rim. The do the front. Works very good just keep it off your stick-um balance weights. It can make the weights come off after a while.

As far as a low pressure tire question. You ever drive on a flat, or corner with a real soft tire. NOT GOOD.
biggrin.gif

As far as a low pressure tire question. You ever drive on a flat, or corner with a real soft tire. NOT GOOD.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with NE on that...I wear out four rear tires to every front...Cause that's what I do...

PSI: But they lower it on the track, and I didn't even notice any handling difference, maybe better sticky. It's just a theory I have. I'd rather pay for more tires and be safer via stickier. Wondered about side effect.... one would be hitting a DEEP bump could dent the rim easier than on a FULLY aired tire.

A while back, someone wondered whether it is important to fill
one's motorcycle's tires with dry gas (nitrogen or air). The answer is
'yes', if you're going racing and tire pressures are critical for
getting that last bit of traction and control.

As someone pointed out, one gas is about as good as another;
PV=nRT is a pretty good approximation for all-gas systems at pressures
and temperatures reasonable for tires.

The problem is that when you pump a tire up with ordinary air, you fill
it with several atmospheres of humidity as well as several atmospheres
of oxygen-nitrogen mixture. The partial pressure of water in air at 4
atmospheres pressure is about the same as it is in air at 1 atmosphere
pressure. So, if the ambient humidity is high enough, some of the
water will condense after the tire is pumped up, reducing the pressure
in the tire slightly. (By the way, that's why compressed-air tanks
accumulate water). If the tire leaks slightly while cold, it probably
loses air but not water. When it's re-filled, it takes on more humidity,
so there's a continual build-up of water.

When the tire starts to work hard, the condensed water evaporates and
becomes a gas, subject to the gas law (that is, 'n', or the number of
moles of gas in the tire, increases). The tire pressure increases, and
the amount that it increases is not predictable unless we know how much
water there is inside the tire. This is unacceptable if we're trying
to use rise in tire pressure as it heats up in use to decide what the
correct beginning tire pressure is.

...okay, I stole all that from a newsgroup but it made me SOUND smart. ;)

I get better cornering grip using 36 lbs air vs 42 lbs, I think alot of it is the fact the tires run hotter at lower pressure and the rubber is softer. It seems as if the tires will cup out more and wear faster at lower pressures so we run 40 lbs and try to take it a little easier when road and tires are cold.
BTW , My tires are dry inside when I change them, but it sounded good on paper.haha

Back