TRE

discreet007

Registered
OK, I have an 02'. The 01's TRE changed it so the ECM always thought it was in 5th. The 02's TRE tells the ECM it is always in 4th.

IMO that is a bad idea. I want the restrictor removed and then I want a PC3r with a custom map for each gear. If the ECM thinks it is in another gear, than what good is a custom map? Is there only 1 map for all the gears? That wouldn't make sense. I would get more air into the box in 5th and 6th than in 1st and 2nd. Isn't that the point of the PC3r, to map each gear individually?

To answer my question:
02' TRE tells the ECM it is always in 4th? True or False..if False then what gear, as 5th is limited now too?
Does a PC3r have an individual map for each gear? True or False...if False, would it be an advantage to map all gears and why don't they do it that way?

Superchips in England says then can raise the rev limiter by 500 rpms (SuperBike Mike does too). What do they do to my ECM? I talked to a guy from England, he said they don't change the programming of the ECM and they don't put in a TRE. That would lead me to assume that they do an internal TRE in the ECM, i.e they change the gear position sensor so that it reads 1 gear all the time.

OK, I have an 02'. The 01's TRE changed it so the ECM always thought it was in 5th. The 02's TRE tells the ECM it is always in 4th.

IMO that is a bad idea. I want the restrictor removed and then I want a PC3r with a custom map for each gear. If the ECM thinks it is in another gear, than what good is a custom map? Is there only 1 map for all the gears? That wouldn't make sense. I would get more air into the box in 5th and 6th than in 1st and 2nd. Isn't that the point of the PC3r, to map each gear individually?

To answer my question:
02' TRE tells the ECM it is always in 4th? True or False..if False then what gear, as 5th is limited now too?
Does a PC3r have an individual map for each gear? True or False...if False, would it be an advantage to map all gears and why don't they do it that way?

Superchips in England says then can raise the rev limiter by 500 rpms (SuperBike Mike does too). What do they do to my ECM? I talked to a guy from England, he said they don't change the programming of the ECM and they don't put in a TRE. That would lead me to assume that they do an internal TRE in the ECM, i.e they change the gear position sensor so that it reads 1 gear all the time.
M'kay speculation here but I don't think that 5th is restricted on the '02, could be wrong here, I just bought a TRE and installed it. Haven't made another top end run to test that, but it is working on the low.

On the Superchips Q, I believe they actually raise the revlimit, not the restrictor. Meaning instead of a 10,8 redline they can push it back to 11,3 or more. Pretty sure that's what they're talking about.

I heard or rather read that the 01' is limited by the revs in 6th gear, like 9500 or something

Because of the TRE they limited 5th to 10k and 6th to 9.5k That is why a lot of people said the TRE didn't work on the 02', but it seems now they just used 4th instead.

Damn good topic Discreet. I am suddenly in the market for a TRE, but will make my decision based on varying opinions. I would like to gather all the knowledge that I can before making the purchase. I will probably do it anyway since everyone seems to agree on the throttle response in the lower gears. I'll be checking back for more insight. Thanx again.

Brian

For those of you who wanna know like me, I posted this exact question on 3 boards. This is one, here is the link to the other two.

Back