TRE INSTALLED

purplefalcon

Registered
does anyone want to guess as to why my FI redlight on the dash is now lit since i installed my TRE ? the bike idles okay other than an occusional stumble and with ice on the streets i can't ride to see if all is well.

does the computer need to be reset like in a car by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes so the computer will learn the TRE ?

i have an inquiry into ivan at atvparts@hotmail.com but figured that one of you wizards would have the answer sooner.

Is your bike all stock? Were you having any FI probs before the TRE? The TRE's not supposed to have any side effects except your idle.....when the clutch is out the idle will drop 400 rpm's or so. I just installed a TRE from Dano's Performance on my stock 04, the only thing that changed was the idle....and the throttle response improvement was wellll worth the 35 bucks
biggrin.gif

As I was writing this I was wondering just what Blue Streak suggested above....I bet you did an air box mod dintcha?....lol...that might be the prob there....

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098600412 -->

Ok I have come to the conclusion that you have hooked your TRE up wrong. Here is one more link that I have found with the same problem and the TRE was installed wrong
smile.gif

well folks i can't thank all of you enough, it sure looks like i plugged into the the wrong plug in. i'll go back out in the morning and start over.
ivan's instructions said it was on the left side and the only plug in i found was one on the left that was cable tied to the rear of the engine block up high, a black one. ivan's instructions said it would be white with blue pink and black with white stripe wires, not what i used, but figuring that i have an '04 i thought maybe a few things had changed, guess not.
anyway, i'll post an update if i get it worked out so other folks can learn at my expense...........thanks again.

I also have an 04 and just installed my TRE 2 days ago. Yep if you plugged it into a black connector its def wrong. When you lift up your tank...facing forward as if your sitting on the bike...look down at the left frame rail... right behind the engine. You'll see 2 connectors there...coming out of the wiring harness connected to the frame, a black one and a white one. The white ones your ticket. Its kinda hard to reach and its gonna be hard to get apart. You might want to spray it with some wd-40...then either carefully pull it apart with pliers, or if you have a good feel for them small visegrips (thats what I did..worked beautiful
biggrin.gif
) You're gonna like the throttle response with the TRE...I do. Let us know how you like it
wink.gif

Is your bike all stock? Were you having any FI probs before the TRE? The TRE's not supposed to have any side effects except your idle.....when the clutch is out the idle will drop 400 rpm's or so. I just installed a TRE from Dano's Performance on my stock 04, the only thing that changed was the idle....and the throttle response improvement was wellll worth the 35 bucks
biggrin.gif

As I was writing this I was wondering just what Blue Streak suggested above....I bet you did an air box mod dintcha?....lol...that might be the prob there....
it drops due to the mapping is screwed up now, but no one care they think it grows hair and makes your bike faster

I heard from a suzuki source that some shops have new software to detect whether you have ever used a TRE-even if you remove it- which causes warranty trouble-don't know if this is true or just an evil rumor started by suzuki----

I heard from a suzuki source that some shops have new software to detect whether you have ever used a TRE-even if you remove it- which causes warranty trouble-don't know if this is true or just an evil rumor started by suzuki----
Most dealers would not even know whaere to look for it.

Most dealers would not even know whaere to look for it.
Hell, My dealer is the one that told me about the TRE and even sold it to me. They sell the Ivan's TRE in the store. I took mine off toadyand really didnt notice a difference other then it is pull the throttle back fast in nuetral it no longer stumbles befor it revs up. I think it is running better without it.

well thanks to everyone's help i got mine hooked up correctly yesterday, just need to adjust the idle, but given that it never got above 34 degrees, i may have to wait until spring to do a run and idle adjust, it was 27 this morning with black ice everywhere so it gets more and more dangerous each day trying to slip out for a quick twist. but i did find the right connection, big red one was right on with the location, about 3/4 buried behind and below a bundle of wires.

i think like most of us, it doesn't matter if the TRE really works, i just don't want it messing something up. it's my bike and i'll do what i want with it, the warranty isn't much anyway. it's knowing that the TRE is there is just kind of neat, darned near like packing a loaded magnum in the dark.

Hey Falcon glad you found the connector
wink.gif
I def noticed a diff with the TRE...it sharpened up the throttle nicely....you'll see
tounge.gif
 It won't hurt anything, all it does is tell the computer your always in 5th gear so it uses the 5th ignition and fuel map...meaning no retarded timing in the first half throttle turn of 1-3 to "soften" the power hit. If you ever have to take her to the shop just unplug it and your good to go. There's no way it can be traced because its not changing anything in the ecu, just giving it a normal signal for a diff gear.
My dealer sold me my TRE for 34.95. For 80-90 bucks I believe you can get a smart tre like Hiya suggested to get rid of the idle speed prob, but I just wanted a cheap experiment....I wasn't really sure what to expect myself changewise. But it hasn't affected a thing so far except idle speed....and the throttle response is noticeably quicker right off of idle which might throw you off slightly at first. But the biggest diff is the roll-ons in the first 3 gears. You don't get more power...you just get it quicker. Where before when I rolled on it was a gentler more relaxed affair...I now hit the hump and snap my arms straight in the first half throttle twist...didn't do that before
wink.gif
Its a little more work to ride cause it feels more urgent with the partial throttle response.....so your getting bucked around a little more...but I like the right now immediate feel myself...and the front end wants to come up quicker than before  
tounge.gif
Be careful in the ice tho...thats exactly why they retarded the timing to begin with....to minimize the "hit" of power at low speeds. Its a little more of a riders bike now I think. Bon Apetit
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Just set your idle at about 1100-1150 warmed up with the clutch out Falcon...it'll run at about 1500 clutch in...np tho. And yes you are packing an almost 200 mph un-restricted magnum now.....aint it cool?
cool.gif
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098874380 -->

wink.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

tounge.gif

Back