Travel trailer modified . Welding required

c10

Registered
The problem was when putting bikes in back with tailgate down slightly we were going to contact the bottles where they were located.
Only when backing up I should note.
Also the factory electrical was not up to my standards. Of course I went through it all.
Made my own cables using Marine grade.
On a few end I left sealed provisions for future 12 vdc items that may need to be attached. This way there is not a half dozen ring terminals on a post. Every thing mounted by stainless bolts except the battery box. I used Hayabusa front fender bolts with the shoulder on them. Tapped the new angle iron for M6x1.0
I use turn buckles to hold tail gate tight against rear tires of bikes.
Photos coming up.

So tanks were forward, and battery in cheesy angle brackets.

DSC_2913.JPG

Great job there Bryan, very clean and tidy, one question . . I have noticed how short the A shaped draw bar is on the trailer . . Why??
In NZ our trailers are quite a bit longer in the draw bar, makes for more stability at speed and also a lot easier to reverse, the steering is a lot slower and more manageable when reversing with a longer draw bar.
Is it common for US built trailers (we call them caravans here) to have that short draw bar design?

Below NZ built 'LiesureLine' Caravan
1555916915645.png

Great job there Bryan, very clean and tidy, one question . . I have noticed how short the A shaped draw bar is on the trailer . . Why??
In NZ our trailers are quite a bit longer in the draw bar, makes for more stability at speed and also a lot easier to reverse, the steering is a lot slower and more manageable when reversing with a longer draw bar.
Is it common for US built trailers (we call them caravans here) to have that short draw bar design?

Below NZ built 'LiesureLine' Caravan
View attachment 1597914

In you photo I see little difference . Maybe due to the high ceiling of our unit along with its unique nose bowing outwards makes it appear short . It is nearly 5 feet from frame to ball connection .
This model pulls far easier than one would think . Its manners on backing leaves me with zero complaints .
Of course 22' 4" its short . My Coachman cpativa that I lived in / worked from for 4 years was 34 feet , and then I added 3 more feet in tool box to the rear . Sometimes with my long wheel base F250 getting into places was a challenge being bumper pull . I was over 60' long as truck had a custom 9' flat bed , and a extra 1' front bumper .

These were my two trucks . Fuel got so high it was better to have a 2nd truck,and payment vs fueling Orange Crush .

07162011117.jpg

Great job there Bryan ,
very clean and tidy ,
one question . . .

I have noticed
how short the
A shaped draw

bar is on the trailer . . .

Why ? ? ? .

In New Zealand
our trailers are
quite a bit longer
in the draw bar ,
makes for more
stability at speed
and also a lot
easier to reverse ,
the steering is a lot
slower and more
manageable when
reversing with a
longer draw bar .

Is it common for
US built trailers
( we call them caravans here )
to have that short draw bar design ?

Below New Zealand built

' Leisure Line ' Caravan .

View attachment 1597914

1043 pounds in bed to simulate bikes. Flip the ball, and went to get trailer. Took furr babies, and filled up truck. Very happy with the outcome, and measured sag of 3.75" total. Trailer / 1043 lb / Dogs.

DSC_2972.JPG

Thats not too bad of sag. The bags will help a ton. Level the old girl out and make the ride better actually. Will set the weight back on the rear axles some more on the trailer too.

Back