Travel to Long Island

T2K5

Registered
I am going to be in the Hamptons and Montauk for the summer, for work. Is there any good riding on Long Island, is there a ferry across to Conneticut or Rhode Island or would I have to ride all the way around through the city? I will be up there from May thru September. Thanks

Yep, two ferries, and a lot more fairies, but I'm pretty sure you want travel over water. :laugh:

Your closest will be Orient Point to New London, CT. The other is Port Jeff to Bridgeport.

There is great riding in Connecticut, turning into excellent riding up in western Massachusetts. Be sure to check out Turners Falls, MA off 91 North

Thanks AJAY, Yes I am interested in the the FERRY that travels over water. Any idea how long the ferry ride is? Could the ride to the falls and back be done in one day, or is it more of an overnight trip? Any places to ride round trip for 1/2 day rides?

Plenty of riding on the east end , ferry is about 1.5 hrs each way , you can also pick up a double ferry out of Sag Harbor that puts you right in orient via Shelter island . I live mid island but work in Sagaponack,Wainscott area just west of montauk

Thanks AJAY, Yes I am interested in the the FERRY that travels over water. Any idea how long the ferry ride is? Could the ride to the falls and back be done in one day, or is it more of an overnight trip? Any places to ride round trip for 1/2 day rides?
That would be a long day, especially trying to coordinate ferry rides on both ends. While the ferry ride itself is pretty fast, you have to figure in the tickets, loading and unloading. Turners Falls, MA, is about 2 - 2.5 hours from Bridgeport. It's touristy, but very pretty. Great place to bring your wife or girlfriend. Actually, looking at the map, maybe I'm thinking of Shelburne Falls. I dunno, at least one of those is good, maybe both, I haven't lived in Massachusetts since 1992!

If you really want some spectacular riding, you need to explore the Berkshires. Look between Chicopee (off 91) and North Adams in the northwest corner of Mass. And once you've done that, you won't want to come back and will keep riding up into Vermont and New Hampshire. My wife and I once rode through there and there was one road that I got to the top, turned around and rode to the bottom just so I could go up it again. Dang, just thinking about it I wish it weren't so far from DC!

Cops will get who??? State police are the only ones that can give chase. In nassau and suffolk county's thats pretty much almost all of long Island, cops wont even bother you. I pass them all the time at 160+ with no problem. There is some nice riding out here, its no N.C. But its O.K. The trip to Conn. is nice too. I have done it a few times. There are some nice car/bike shows on L.I. too if your into that kinda thing. When you get setteled, drop me a P.M. and we can get together for some ridding. Have fun.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I am going to be in the Hamptons and Montauk for the summer, for work. Is there any good riding on Long Island, is there a ferry across to Conneticut or Rhode Island or would I have to ride all the way around through the city? I will be up there from May thru September. Thanks

Go to Vermont while up there. Beautiful country!:thumbsup:

I dont know if you fish or not, but Montauk is Striper/Rock fish heaven in the summer. Id take fishing rod.

i got some nice roads. i live about 20 minutes from the hamptons. we'll talk. keep in touch.

Thanks for the replies. I should be up mid May. Still need to figure how and when I can get my bike there. I am a captain on a sportfishing boat, so rod won't be a problem. Time off and getting my bike there will be.

Back