Transported my first Firearm via Southwest last week..

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Last week I went on Spring Break from TN to AZ to take my family to the Grand Canyon (will be posting pics in a separate thread in a day or so). I've never transported before, so it was an interesting experience. Decided if we are going to have the privelege, need to exercise it.

I had an old NVG case, and some foam, just the right thickness for 3 layers. In the bottom layer, I made cutouts (using an extended razor utility knife) for my Milt Sparks VM2, double mag pouch and flashlight. The second layer was just a plain piece of foam, and the top layer a cutout for my Kimber (Pro CDP II), 3 (empty) mags and a box of ammunition. One layer of wafflefoam in the lid, and two combination locks (heavy Case locks) completed the project. I also researched and confirmed Southwest's policy/proceedures, and check for reciprocity and any differences in the TN and AZ laws.

Flying out of Nashville, I got in the ticket line, and when it came my time, I went to the counter and declared the firearm. While a little surprised, the agent quickly recovered, asked me to open the case and show it unloaded (Which I did right there in front of everybody), relock the case and put back in my luggage. We then completed the declaration, taped it to the outside of my case, and off my baggage went. The agent told me to wait 15 minutes, and if they didn't need me, then I'd be free to go to the gate (waited 20 to be sure). No mess, no issues. Fairly simple.

Flying back home out of Phoenix, got in the ticket line and again declared the firearm, opened case, showed unloaded, relocked case. This time, they then took me and the bag to a private TSA area. The TSA agent actually swabbed both the outside of my case, and my luggage with a strip of something, then placed that into a chemical detector machine (I assume it tested for explosives and/or drugs). Given a pass by the machine, she initialled and placed a colored sticker on my baggage tag, wrote on a clipboard log then took the bag and let me on my way. She asked me if I'd been to the gunshow (must have been a big local one). I asked her if she did this often, her response was "all day". Again, easy peasy.

What I learned: If you properly prepare, to include a few extra minutes for the additional security, flying with your firearm is no big deal. Again, the key would be to check the airlines site for instructions, along with the laws/regulations of your destination.

Note: Locks are NOT the TSA locks that the TSA can get into your bags; The requirement states only YOU have the combination and they cannot get into the case without you being physically present.

Good for you man. Did you carry ammo?

Middle of paragraph 2. Yes, you transport the ammo in the case with the firearm, but only in a box meant for ammo (such as original packaging). Empty firearm, empty mags. Since you know I don't as a matter of habit post pic of firearms, I'll post a pic tonight of the case itself. The cutouts were a little crude, but it worked and was cheap..

Good for you man, but I hear about weapons going missing all the time. You have the lock not TSA, that's great, but If your luggage gets lost and it does, it doesn't matter, because the dirty TSA agent or luggage handler and his friends could care less about your lock. Glad your weapon made it both ways.

Can you get insurance for your weapon ? I might have to ship and insure, don't know, never thought about it.

Good for you man, but I hear about weapons going missing all the time. You have the lock not TSA, that's great, but If your luggage gets lost and it does, it doesn't matter, because the dirty TSA agent or luggage handler and his friends could care less about your lock. Glad your weapon made it both ways.

Don't know if my homeowners policy would cover theft or not in this instance, but it might.

I was travelling a direct flight, so I felt if it got it on the plane (why I went early) it would make it. Also, at least for the outbound trip, there were NO markings on the outside of my luggage denoting that there was a firearms box inside...kinda interesting, it just comes out with all the other luggage too...no extra proceedure there either...

Thanks for the info.

I've declared firearms when traveling with both Delta and Southwest through several different cities. It was just as you described, and I've never had a problem. Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

It's been a while, but as I recall there was a policy about no more than two weapons per locked case. That caught me the first time, and I had to get one of them to the destination by other means.

I've declared firearms when traveling with both Delta and Southwest through several different cities. It was just as you described, and I've never had a problem. Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

It's been a while, but as I recall there was a policy about no more than two weapons per locked case. That caught me the first time, and I had to get one of them to the destination by other means.

I didn't see anything about a total number, but I did see where there might be a weight limit per piece of luggage. And there IS a weight limit on ammo...

^+1 now i know flying is an option if i gotta go any distance... i feel more comfortable having the option of shooting someone in the face (if the occasion arises and i feel i need to)... everybody else has a gun... y i gotta leave mine at home?? u know what i mean?

It's somewhat striking the difference in attitude depending on where you are flying out of, even though the procedures are supposed to be uniform. Leaving Seattle: check-in lady gets visibly agitated at the whole process and doesn't want me to open the case at all; TSA guy takes 20 minutes disassembling my entire suitcase and swabbing EVERYTHING down. Returning from Atlanta: check-in lady has me show her the empty chamber right in line; TSA guy asks me where he can get the extended G23 mag I have in the case and calls over a colleague to "check it out".

I've never had a problem with leaving ammo in the mags as long as they are not in the gun. TSA info page Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration:

• Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

My interpretation is that magazines are metal boxes specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition :laugh:

I'm in Arizona now and flew in from New York on US Air. I bought my carry gun, it was easy no problems. I bought my gun in an military ammo box. I welded a hasp on it and put soft foam in it to protect the gun it worked great. My thought to keep someone from pulling it out of my bag in the baggage area was to paint the box bright yellow and have gun in big letters on each side of the box. May help someone have second thoughts if it stands out too much .

Max, how did you come in from NEW YORK? I thought their laws were so restrictive you couldn't have one...there are horror stories of people who had a layover in some non-2A friendly states getting arrested because of what was in their bags - just don't let the airlines give you possession and you are ok, but you might have to spend the night in dirty clothes because you can't have your bags...

Back