transmission

race1gun

Donating Member
Registered
got about 2700 miles on her and the gears are still notchy between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th and 5th and 6th i have changed the oil 3 times twice with filter once without changed at 500 suzuki 4 performance 4 cycle 10w-40 and suzuki oem filter, 1250 changed just my oil (same oil) 2250 same as 500 mile oil change oem filter 10w-40 suzuki oil .
is this going to get better in time or do i need to take her in??it has been this way since day one got a little better after 1st oil change but has remained the same thru past 2 i have to click it hard in those gears or it would be false neutrals all the time just dont seem right ?

Lower the shift down a bit or ride with your foot a bit further forward . Often found shifting a bit vague ,false neutrals between 5th and 6th but seems to be a common fault..

Also try bleeding the clutch. I had some air bubbles in mine and it is an '05. No more false neutrals now.

I'd also consider lubing the pivots on the shifter. Mine were dry when I go the bike.

When I first got my 'Busa I had problems with shifting because I was hesitant due to unfamiliarity and fear (the bike has quite a reputation!) Once I started to learn that it wasn't going to eat me alive my confidence increased and I started to work with the bike instead of against it.

When you're downshifting (particularly in the lower gears) try pulling the clutch in, briefly blipping the throttle to get the revs up a little, then downshift and ease the clutch back out - it drops in a lot easier. The 'Busa doesn't like to shift if the revs get too low.

For upshifting, don't pussy-foot it, get your foot under the shifter and make a deliberate shift. Sometimes I make clutchless or semi-clutched/slipping shifts which can be smoother than pulling the clutch all the way in, it seems to help if I apply some pressure to the shifter prior to changing up. If you don't think you're getting enough leverage then adjust the shift lever down a little.

When I'm hard-charging, I never have a problem with shifting, it's only when I'm cruising at low speeds that I have to think about it. The 'Busa is designed to go fast and that's when it's at its happiest and everything comes together.

The only problem I have now is reaching for 7th gear occasionally.
smile.gif

I never felt the gearbox to be notchy... but the people who have felt it was, have also generally told that it frees up around 3k to 3.5k miles!! I suggest you give it somemore time... and then maybe think of taking her in

Back