Transmission trouble with brand new 07

notcrazy

Registered
Got my 07 brand new with 0 miles two weeks ago. Got to call tomorrow to set up the first service (547 mi right now).

I get the false neutral between 5 and 6 occasionally. On the way home from work today, I was cruising along in 5th, and it spontaneously went to neutral. I pulled the clutch in and it grabbed back into gear when I released it.

Of course, I'm going to tell the dealership about this. What do you think I can expect for a remedy? Anybody know of service bulletins on the 07 relevant to this?

false neutral between 5 and 6......never heard of it lol

Going with a evo shift star kit might help. I know I've missed shifts before when trying to go throught the gears lightly. Could it be attributed to your shifting technique. Busa tranys are kinda clunky.

I'm sure others will chime in.

I have experienced that a few times on my new Gen II, but wasn't shifting as I should. Started concetrating on shifting all the way from 5th to 6th. I'm just over a 1,000 miles now and not sure if I have changed, or if the bike has changed, as it is gone.

Its doubtful but that there is a problem with the bikes trans. If its still under warranty then get it checked out. If not either make more firm shifts or go with the evo kit. Let us know what you decide.

Dan

I've seen a thread on the Evo kit and it looks like it would be a good idea. Two things make me hesitate. 1) warranty, and 2) digging into the guts of the bike. I'm comfortable fiddling with stuff like fairings and control levers, but draining the oil and opening up the clutch make me nervous. I could probably do it, but I'd be anxious as hell and whatever amount if time I set aside for it, I know it would take me twice as long.

I need to adjust the shift lever so it's lower and I don't have to raise my foot so much. I plan to put the Buell pegs on the bike, so that will be a necessity.

I know my technique isn't perfect, but for the bike to slip into neutral as I'm rolling down the road just isn't right...

Well first off, if its under warranty I'd take it in and tell them what happened. Most likely they will drive it and say nothing is wrong with it but maybe there is something wrong that can be easily diagnosed and fixed.

Also the evo kit is pretty easy to install. I think there is a sticky for the job? I'll look. If you need help were hear to help. :thumbsup:

ive experienced the same thing between 5th and 6th gear. iv got an 07 also, i just make sure and shift all the way up, in other words shift like you mean it! :thumbsup: moving your shift lever down should help to. :beerchug:

Thanks for the replies. I'll move that shift lever and work on my technique.

Evo kit is a possibility. I'm a man - I can fix anything, right? As long as I have the right tools, the right parts, the time, an internet connection to get advice from people who actually know what they're doing...:whistle:

Probably need to get a good rear stand, too. I'd hate to tip over my new baby. Plus, I live alone, so if I end up underneath it I'll be trying to bench press a 550 lb bike off my stupid azz :laugh:

Got my 07 brand new with 0 miles two weeks ago. Got to call tomorrow to set up the first service (547 mi right now).

I get the false neutral between 5 and 6 occasionally. On the way home from work today, I was cruising along in 5th, and it spontaneously went to neutral. I pulled the clutch in and it grabbed back into gear when I released it.

Of course, I'm going to tell the dealership about this. What do you think I can expect for a remedy? Anybody know of service bulletins on the 07 relevant to this?

I have absolutly no idea. I ride 07 red. Perhaps a wrong color?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, mine's the right color:thumbsup:

busaright3.jpg

The problem is not with the bike...learn how to shift it properly...BEFORE you mess up your trans.
Posted via Mobile Device

i you wipe out 5th...you will take 2nd with it.

I would say to check the shifter and make sure it rests against your foot while riding.

I had quite a bit of trouble with false neutrals when I first got mine too. Good synthetic oil (Motul 7100), and a few miles, havn't missed a gear in over a year now.
You'll notice when the tranny warms up there will be a "double click" feel going into 5th and 6th gear. Make sure you rip up HARD on the shifter (no wearing tennis shoes, you'll wear a hole in the top of your foot quick) and get both the clicks on the shift and it'll be in gear. One click and it'll spit it right back out.
In time you'll get the feel for it, everything will break in, and it'll no longer be a problem. At 13,000 miles now mine slips into gear smooth as silk, but there is still the "double click" into 6th gear most of the time.
Be patient and work with it, it'll all be good in due time.:thumbsup:

I had a bad habit about half heartedly shifting, and I had read about the evo shift kit and how it would assist in making shifting faster and more firm. Went looking for one and saw the price and was like nope not for me. Then someone did a group by on the evo shift kits and I grabbed two, one for me and a buddy. Well the buddy didn’t come though so I have one if you want it, just PM me.

Make sure you rip up HARD on the shifter (no wearing tennis shoes, you'll wear a hole in the top of your foot quick) and get both the clicks on the shift and it'll be in gear.
Gotta be careful with how hard you pull on that shifter though... its not too hard to bend a shifter fork, and then the trans is just gonna be on a slow ride to self destruction.
I had the same problem on another bike, did the Hulk-A-Mania shifting to get around the false neutral, and I ultimately kissed that tranny bye-bye.
Been there, done that.
:banghead:

My '06 occasionally has the same 5th to 6th issue IF I get lazy about shifting. As long as the shift is done clean and with some level of foot precision, the problem doesnt occur. My bike is also very low miles, and I have no doubt it'll clean up completely after its well broken in.

I'd have a little caution about bringing it to the dealer for that problem for a few reasons.
First, it seems endemic to 1st Gen 'Busa's... I've heard this 5th-6th story from a lot of riders.
Second, if the dealer "thinks" they can fix it, you're looking at a trans tear-down on a new bike, which to me is recipe for other problems popping up... leaks, noises that werent there before, etc. (Been THERE too).
:cursin:
Third, do you REALLY have that much confidence in your dealer to diagnose this problem?? I find that service shops in most dealers are manned by guys that are not truly competent to diagnose a complex problem like this. If it grenades, thats one thing... an intermittent problem that might just come down to shifting technique?? I dont think I'd want my bike dissected quite yet. Might be better to try adjusting shift technique, and see if it goes away with some mileage. You've still got time on the warranty if things dont improve.
(Just my 2 cents worth based on some bad experiences...)
:read:

false neutral between 5 and 6......never heard of it lol
What Chris meant to say is that problem's so common he can't believe you've never heard of it :laugh: As the bike breaks in it'll go away. Its still good to let the dealership know about it now tho :thumbsup: Make sure you give a solid shift to 6th and you should be fine :beerchug: If it continues to slip out of 5th tho you might have a prob. Just remember, don't bang it back into gear hard at high revs/speeds, or you might create a prob for yourself :banghead:

ive experienced the same thing between 5th and 6th gear. iv got an 07 also, i just make sure and shift all the way up, in other words shift like you mean it! :thumbsup: moving your shift lever down should help to. :beerchug:

+100

My 07 ( Misty ) did that for a while, Started shifting with a little more aggresion, and until now I havent given it a second thought.

Back