transmission question

Ziptie

Registered
OK I'm wanting to get second gear under cut before any problems start. My question is what shaft are the gears on that need undercut (counter shaft or drive shaft). I'm wanting to just buy the gears new and have them sent off to get cut so the bike is not down for to long. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,Allen
Posted via Mobile Device

your best bet would to be buy a used tranny and send it in...then you would only be down install time

I would only be down install time with just purchasing the new gears also and probably less money also this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would only be down install time with just purchasing the new gears also and probably less money also this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Best to do the whole trans...if you just do 2nd...what about any other problems?

Are the shift forks, shafts, bearings ok? or are any of the other gears bad?

Buy a used trans and do the job right...or if it's working well...wait until you can tear it down and send in your's for a rebuild.
Posted via Mobile Device

A complete tranny would be the smartest way to go!

If your going to pull the motor, and split the cases, it is the quickest, smartest and the easiest!

The transmission was just rebuilt with stock parts about 1000mi ago. The Guy I bought it from gave me receipts showing this all new forks and shift shafts and bearings so there is no need for another transmission. I just want to know the answer to my original question. But thanks for all the suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device

How about calling the company (R&D motorsports/Orient Express/APE/MT Performance/Lees Performance/etc) you are going to have undercut your gears and ask them. I'm pretty sure second gear mates with sixth so those will be the two you will need to purchase but don't quote me on that.. Since you are going to buy new, the company of your choice might even have them in inventory which might save time and shipping costs???

The transmission was just rebuilt with stock parts about 1000mi ago. The Guy I bought it from gave me receipts showing this all new forks and shift shafts and bearings so there is no need for another transmission. I just want to know the answer to my original question. But thanks for all the suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device

You should have told us that info in your first post...there is no need to replace 2nd gear on your bike...just ride it and don't worry about it. I know guys that have put 100,000+ miles on a stock trans. If you plan on racing it, then get another trans and have ALL the gears under cut and upgrade the shafts and shift forks.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should have told us that info in your first post...there is no need to replace 2nd gear on your bike...just ride it and don't worry about it. I know guys that have put 100,000+ miles on a stock trans. If you plan on racing it, then get another trans and have ALL the gears under cut and upgrade the shafts and shift forks.
Posted via Mobile Device

i agree with this. why do you want to replace a good transmission? second gear failure is usually caused from drag racing or stomping the gear shift lever into gears. put an air shifter on it and be done. air shifter $400 tranny rebuild $1200-$1500
my .02

Back