Transmission ‘clunk’ resolution.

Tomo

Registered
My 25k mile 2010 Gen II bike had an unpleasant clunk when picking up or rolling off drive on the throttle which I have now resolved. Is this a common (known) issue or is the solution worth sharing?

My 25k mile 2010 Gen II bike had an unpleasant clunk when picking up or rolling off drive on the throttle which I have now resolved. Is this a common (known) issue or is the solution worth sharing?
I've been told it's common and won't cause trouble, did you use the spacer?

Nope... Having checked final drive (chain, sprockets, cush drive) I removed the clutch.
Took the clutch basket & clutch lifter assembly to Crescent Motorcycles (Verwood) and Mitch found a new lifter set to compare mine with.
Although the wear on the lobes of mine seemed minimal I bought the replacement (£155) and fitted.
Job done. The unpleasant ‘clunk’ every time you come on or off the throttle is gone.

Nope... Having checked final drive (chain, sprockets, cush drive) I removed the clutch.
Took the clutch basket & clutch lifter assembly to Crescent Motorcycles (Verwood) and Mitch found a new lifter set to compare mine with.
Although the wear on the lobes of mine seemed minimal I bought the replacement (£155) and fitted.
Job done. The unpleasant ‘clunk’ every time you come on or off the throttle is gone.
.........I was mistaken as I thought we were talking about the take off from stop sign clunk...mine doesn't do the noise you are talking about-my bad.

Depending on the position of the lobes it was noticeable from a standing start too..

The clutch lifter assembly has two parts, the outer which the clutch bolts seat into and the lifter which has three arms or lobes and sits within it. There was a small amount of wear on each lobe of mine and more play than in the new one.
I believe the ‘clunk’ was the wear allowing the lifter to move back & forth very slightly within the mounting when either picking up or dropping drive.
I’ll try to get a decent picture..

Attached..

74043558-42AB-46DB-8552-1855E0E24B71.jpeg

77F9EB13-CF1C-4D19-8218-79EAECFC2DE6.jpeg

Is that what it’s called, I didn’t know.
It seemed a jump for this degree of wear to be responsible for the nasty clunk I was getting but it’s gone now..
It isn’t silent but it sounds normal.

Is that what it’s called, I didn’t know.
It seemed a jump for this degree of wear to be responsible for the nasty clunk I was getting but it’s gone now..
It isn’t silent but it sounds normal.
Did they do a clutch mod. Or did they replace the OEM parts. This is a common mod.

Looks to be a spacer behind the OE lifter assembly and shorter pillars.
What’s achieved by doing the ‘mod’ or what does it overcome?

Back