Transition from Motocross to Adventure Touring

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I loved my KTM as a pure playbike BUT, it just seemed that it would make a unique and very capable long distance backcountry bike, lightweight, powerful and big suspension. SO, I just added/modified the following: Corbin seat, Baja Designs full dual purpose kit (turn signals, horn, brakelight, keyed ignition, etc.), DOT tires, rack, bags, oil cooler AND an Acerbis 6 1/2 gallon tank!

The first pic is its original configuration, the last ones are today, just out of the KTM shop.
Nevada is a paradise for exploration so I'm lookin forward to this thing and where it'll take me! (and my riding buddy Scott/Isiahstites if he gets a bigger gas tank). Doyle

IMG_0003 (10).jpg

viewattachment.jpg

viewattachment-3.jpg

viewattachment-1.jpg

Holy crap Dog! How does that thing handle with 6.5 gal of gas in her? Nice looking ride too. Where the Busa says fast when it's parked that KTM is screaming fun!

You are so right, it's all about fun. (and amazing handling)

I turned my DR650 into a desert blasting machine - but I put the 30L acerbis Safari tank on it. I'm sure you'll love it, I'd go ride 300+ miles on a tank of gas through the Nevada desert (when I lived in Las Vegas) and last year rode it up to Deadhorse, Alaska, as well as on trails and through streams on my trek up to the Matanuska glacier. I love my 'busa for comfort and power, and I love my "dirt bike" for it's ability to go anywhere and do anything! Have fun!

Enjoy!!!:laugh:

I still fall off mine at least once every four rides and after I hit the trails everything in my body that still works hurts. :laugh:

Husky.jpg

Husky.jpg

I knew there's a bunch of us Busa guys with off road equipment too! It sure helps keep ones street skills high. Reflexes, sliding, challenging terrain, endurance, etc. I can't stand knowing there's dirt roads and singletrak all over this continent waiting to be explored! Pick a mountain range on the horizon and say, "let's go there". I can't wait to do an extended ride with this group of BMW GS1200 riders I know, my "little" 525 will make mincemeat of them in the backcountry!

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0019 (9).jpg

I ride with a couple of guys that own Super Teneres, and my DR can't quite break 100mph on the black top (geared lower on purpose for off road), so they like to pull ahead of me on theh road, but once we hit the dirt, let's just say I get to take LOOOONG breaks while I wait for them to catch up! :laugh:

I knew there's a bunch of us Busa guys with off road equipment too! It sure helps keep ones street skills high. Reflexes, sliding, challenging terrain, endurance, etc. I can't stand knowing there's dirt roads and singletrak all over this continent waiting to be explored! Pick a mountain range on the horizon and say, "let's go there". I can't wait to do an extended ride with this group of BMW GS1200 riders I know, my "little" 525 will make mincemeat of them in the backcountry!

LOL, if you hit the mud, you will be able to ride figure 8's around them while they walk next to their bikes. Ask me how I know.:laugh:

Back