Train down...

OH and clip-ons are pretty damned tough, they prolly would have been just fine, though you would need a new bar end... so that is indeed another $10 on ebay...
biggrin.gif

First, Glad it wasn't some kinda serious, ugly, bits-N-pieces kinda thing.  Glad your are here typing so I can now give you a sizable ration of poop...

I dunno Bro....  Sounds to me like now you have rashed plastic that needs painting AND a damaged Ally cap on your slider.  The expensive plastics are still damaged and need replacing/repainting right?   HMMM...  So in a low speed tip-over your slider and your fairing is damaged...  So basically you spent $100 on the sliders... then spent an afternoon cutting holes in your pristine plastics so you could bolt these things on to prevent damaging expensive plastics in JUST this kinda accident...which they failed to do...  So instead of having to pick up a mirror on ebay for $15,  and a $10 Bar end, in addition to the plastic.  You spent $100 on sliders that didn't do there job and you have to paint/replace plastic anyway...  

I dunno Bro... Is this one of things where your just trying to convince yourself that all that hard work you put into them sliders was time well spent and I am here screwing it up?
rock.gif

Cause from where I sit, they failed and failed miserably.   Basically they couldn't even save your plastics from a nearly stopped tip over...  WTF use are they going to be in a simple 25mph lowside?

It's all good though, You know I love ya Bro, but I gotta at least try to cry foul here...  Sliders did their job my butt... Now you have a specialized end cap your going to have to order and waight 3 weeks for...   Hmmm....  interesting bro...  
blues.gif

Maybe some longer regular delrin ones will be a smart choice for your next sliders...
Ok, I see yer point but it has holes in it. First of all, the sliders were +/- $50, not $100. Second, it wasn't hard work installin' 'em.

Also, yeah, I've got some paint scratches to repair and paint work to do. If I wasn't a painter and had to replace the fairing, yeah, it'd be more expensive. *BUT*, if I hadn't had the sliders on and it had went on over and got the brake lever, bar end, mirror, and skint the upper (like on Michelle's bike, remember?) how much would I be lookin' at then? Hmmm? You do the math, bro. Replace a fairing and $50 slider (if it actually needed replaced... see below) as opposed to replacin' a fairing, upper (could also have cracked my ZG DB if it landed hard enough on the upper), mirror, bar end, brake lever...
rock.gif

As for the slider cap, it's not a specialized piece. The retailers stock 'em in all colors for replacements. In this case the scuff is so light that I can sand it out and polish the entire end cap leaving me with a sweeter lookin' piece than I had to start with. Most of what you see in the pic is concrete grit stuck to it. I didn't brush it off before the pic.
wink.gif

I'm convinced that the slider kept it from bein' a much worse, and more expensive mistake. No, it didn't prevent 100% of the damage but when you consider the cost of a replacement upper (again, ask Michelle about that) it ain't worth the risk of just hopin' the upper doesn't hit.

Until you've seen a bike layin' on it's side with the slider holdin' expensive shid like that upper front fairing off of the ground you just can't understand... I have now seen it in person for myself and the sliders most certainly DID minimize the damage.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085348695 -->

rock.gif

wink.gif

OH and clip-ons are pretty damned tough, they prolly would have been just fine, though you would need a new bar end...  so that is indeed another $10 on ebay...  
biggrin.gif
Yeah, when I said clip-ons I meant the damage to the bar ends and brake lever, just wasn't clear on that. I figured the clip-ons could handle a drop like this with ease.

Another thing to consider is that a LOT more weight and leverage would have been placed on the BDE can had I not had sliders. Instead of the lightly scuffed edge I prolly would have had a dent and much worse rash on it. It prolly would have pushed on in to the swingarm as well. How much is a replacement Brock Hindle Ti can with "Glow Job" polishin' these days?
rock.gif

Fair enough... Upper fairings yeah... But I would still be pretty pissed as I have no access to a painters if my slider in your particular kinda tip over didn't protect them plastics... I think I will just try not to tip over... SOrry about the Train man... Sucks.

Especially that damned HINDLE.... I bet you could prolly send it back to Brock and see if he cannot clean it up. I'll bet he could get it back to perfect without a lot of expense...

First, Glad it wasn't some kinda serious, ugly, bits-N-pieces kinda thing.  Glad your are here typing so I can now give you a sizable ration of poop...

I dunno Bro....  Sounds to me like now you have rashed plastic that needs painting AND a damaged Ally cap on your slider.  The expensive plastics are still damaged and need replacing/repainting right?   HMMM...  So in a low speed tip-over your slider and your fairing is damaged...  So basically you spent $100 on the sliders... then spent an afternoon cutting holes in your pristine plastics so you could bolt these things on to prevent damaging expensive plastics in JUST this kinda accident...which they failed to do...  So instead of having to pick up a mirror on ebay for $15,  and a $10 Bar end, in addition to the plastic.  You spent $100 on sliders that didn't do there job and you have to paint/replace plastic anyway...  

I dunno Bro... Is this one of things where your just trying to convince yourself that all that hard work you put into them sliders was time well spent and I am here screwing it up?
rock.gif

Cause from where I sit, they failed and failed miserably.   Basically they couldn't even save your plastics from a nearly stopped tip over...  WTF use are they going to be in a simple 25mph lowside?

It's all good though, You know I love ya Bro, but I gotta at least try to cry foul here...  Sliders did their job my butt... Now you have a specialized end cap your going to have to order and waight 3 weeks for...   Hmmm....  interesting bro...  
blues.gif

Maybe some longer regular delrin ones will be a smart choice for your next sliders...
Chris, glad you're ok. The bikes definitly not that bad. It's a shame it wasn't the otherside I had a perfect piece I just gave up to painter, we coulda' swapped. The little bit o' rash wouldn't bother me since I gettin' my extra set painted. Well, as far as the pipe I say just hit it with 1000 grit then 1500 followed by 2000 and finnaly some blue magic polish and you won't even notice a thing.

Oh and I'm definitly feelin' what Rev had to say about the sliders. If you remember I started a topic some time ago about them. I personnally don't like the idea of diverting the impact from plastic that will get rashed anyway to the frame itself. Just an opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...... Anyway bro, be safe and get er' nice again.

rock.gif

blues.gif

Are you a little ancy from the "fidgety non-smoking beeyotch" thing?
rock.gif

Way to sock it to him when he's down, literally. You crack me up!  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085349787 -->

rock.gif

Fair enough... Upper fairings yeah...  But I would still be pretty pissed as I have no access to a painters if my slider in your particular kinda tip over didn't protect them plastics...   I think I will just try not to tip over...  SOrry about the Train man... Sucks.

Especially that damned HINDLE....   I bet you could prolly send it back to Brock and see if he cannot clean it up.  I'll bet he could get it back to perfect without a lot of expense...
Yes, bro, you DO have access to a painter.
beerchug.gif
wink.gif

As for the Hindle can, I think maybe I can clean it up a little. If I can't get it like I want it I'm positive that a trip back to Veltune for a round of Tom's titanium polishin' magic will have it good as new.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Chris, glad you're ok. The bikes definitly not that bad. It's a shame it wasn't the otherside I had a perfect piece I just gave up to painter, we coulda' swapped. The little bit o' rash wouldn't bother me since I gettin' my extra set painted. Well, as far as the pipe I say just hit it with 1000 grit then 1500 followed by 2000 and finnaly some blue magic polish and you won't even notice a thing.

Oh and I'm definitly feelin' what Rev had to say about the sliders. If you remember I started a topic some time ago about them. I personnally don't like the idea of diverting the impact from plastic that will get rashed anyway to the frame itself. Just an opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...... Anyway bro, be safe and get er' nice again.
Yeah, I see the point you/he made. I also agree that sliders aren't always gonna save yer ass and maybe they can even fug you in a hard crash by gettin' the frame. I'm still glad I had 'em in a drop like this and will have them on any future bikes I have. I figure if I go down hard enough to fug the frame via a slider I'm pretty much fugged anyway $$ wise. I'd prolly just part it out to recoup as much as possible and get a new one anyway.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, it just occured to me to check another piece. The swingarm spools for the Pit Bull stand. It also touched and has a slight but polishable scuff mark. Between that and the slider I think I know why the can wasn't pushed all the way to the swingarm...

Sorry to hear about your little mishap Chris. Glad it was not more than it was. Even small damage is traumatic though. Especially to anal folks like us here. And I certainly include myself in that description. Bob

rock.gif

blues.gif

Are you a little ancy from the "fidgety non-smoking beeyotch" thing?
rock.gif

Way to sock it to him when he's down, literally. You crack me up!  
laugh.gif
Why, uh... Whatever do you mean... I am calm, cool, and collected... I am not having any issues at all, and I'll Fuggin Shoot anyone who says otherwise right in the ass!!!

Yeah, I kicked him... then I Kicked him again...and again..

Well allright, I did change my avatar title for a reason... Yeah, i'm feeling a little twitchy...

rock.gif

That does it............................I'm getting sliders!!!!!! Glad the damage is minimal and you're OK.
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your little mishap Chris. Glad it was not more than it was. Even small damage is traumatic though. Especially to anal folks like us here. And I certainly include myself in that description.  Bob
Yeah, it pissed me off, but it could have been a LOT worse. Speakin' of anal, I can't stand the rash on the fairing. It's already buggin' me. The paint job will definitely be expedited now. The plans may have to change a little (for $$ reasons), but it's about to be on for sure.
wink.gif

Back