Train down...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Since I sort of joked about Da' Train "goin' down" when I lowered 'er, I thought I'd start this post out by sayin' that it ain't no joke.
rock.gif

First of all, I'm fine and Da' Train is ok other than some light battle scars. I'd like to say up front... THANK GOD FOR MY FRAME SLIDERS!!!

Ok, I rode 'er to my Grandmother's house for lunch today to see if I could tell any difference with the Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. When I came home I came down the driveway a little "hot". When I started my u-turn in front of the garage, even though I was goin really slow I still had a little front brake on for, ummm, only God knows why. I simply fugged up and the front wheel locked up and went to full right lock (steering). The front washed and she fell on the throttle side. Luckily it didn't slide far. Actually she stopped forward movement before she hit the pavement so it didn't grind anything. Just the scars from fallin' over on the rough concrete surface.

I'm kickin' myself in the ass still. Oh well, could have been MUCH worse. I could be postin' about a high speed get off. It wasn't like I took it easy on 'er today.
wink.gif

Yeah, I know... PICS!!! I grabbed the S500 and snapped 'em before I even came here to post about it.
wink.gif

Shot#1- The piece that kept it from bein' much worse than it could have been. Kept the clip-ons and mirrors off the ground and kept most of the fairing and the upper off the ground. Replacin' an end cap on the LP slider is MUCH cheaper than replacin' mirrors and clip-ons!
biggrin.gif
As you can see, it just boogered up the aluminum end cap on the bottom.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085345335 -->

battlescar_02.jpg

wink.gif

The only rash on the right side fairing thanks to the slider. Just paint damage. Didn't dig into the plastic at all. Easy fix when I do the paint job, which will be expedited now! Can't be ridin' around on a rashed busa ya know.
wink.gif

battlescar_01.jpg

The part that REALLY pissed me off!!! Chewed up the very edge of my beloved BDE/Hindle can!
mad.gif
I think I can make it invisible with a little TLC. Actually, I thought it didn't even hurt the can at all. It's much more visible in the pic than it is to the naked eye. It also sprung the mount strap that goes around the can and pushed the can toward the swingarm but not enough to make contact. When it cools I'll be able to just spring that back out...

battlescar_04.jpg

glad to hear it wasn't a high speed crash.
tounge.gif

Damn! Sorry to hear what happen to the Train but the most important thing is your ok.

The little thing that hangs down off of the end of the peg also made contact but after I took this shot I wiped it with my finger and it looks new. Just had some concrete grit stuck on it.

battlescar_03.jpg

Ehhhh, one more shot. Just before I left on 'er today I snapped this shot of that side of the bike. Snapped only that shot. It's like I knew subconsciously that it'd be the last time that side was "virgin". Hehehehehehe... Just glad I didn't walk around 'er and take shots of all sides!!!
eek2.gif
wink.gif

lastprecrash.jpg

Damn! Sorry to hear what happen to the Train but the most important thing is your ok.
Yeah, it sucks to skin 'er up but it could have been MUCH worse. Worst thing I came out of it with was maybe some sore muscles from hoistin' 'er back onto 'er "feet". She's a heavy beeyotch!
drooling3.gif

I have been thinkin about doing the sliders, maybe now I will. Glad you and the bike faired well.
wink.gif

I have been thinkin about doing the sliders, maybe now I will. Glad you and the bike faired well.
wink.gif
Yeah, at first I was back and forth on whether or not to cut holes in 'er and do sliders. There have been a couple times that I sort of wished I hadn't cut the holes. After today though I wouldn't have a bike without 'em. They may not do shid in a real crash but in a low speed drop like this one they definitely saved me more money than they cost to buy!
biggrin.gif

Add me to the list of those who say DEFINITELY get yerself some sliders! Now I understand better why some people highly recommend 'em. They, too, prolly saved themselves some $$$ as well by havin' 'em.

I edited my first post here to correct my description of what happened. As I think about it and run through it in my head, I realize that I didn't push the tire's traction limit, I used front brake while turnin' at low speed. The front locked, went to full right lock (steering), then slid out from under me. I realized it wasn't a traction issue when I remembered just how slow I had gotten before it happened.

I did come in a little hot, but had slowed down to a speed comparible to how I usually do my u-turn. I simply kept a little pressure on the front brake as I started my turn. BIG no no! I know that and can't for the life of me figure out why I was holdin' front brake in a u-turn.
rock.gif
The only thing I can figure is that I had a brain fart. I've been practicin' and usin' the "rear brake on tight low speed turns" technique that was talked about here a while back and it works great. Before that I simply scrubbed off enough speed to make the u-turn and didn't use brakes at all in a tight turn. I played the clutch and throttle to steady it. This time I guess my brain called for brakes in the tight turn but forgot to specify *REAR* brakes. That or my right hand heard the call while my right foot was lost in space or somethin'.
rock.gif

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that. After re-readin' my original post it made no sense to me so I figured it'd make no sense to ya'll either. Best I can figure, what's posted here is what really happened. Just didn't want folks to think I was tryin' to hide bein' SQUIDLY! Hell, it was a squidly move, I done it, and I'll live up to it. No shame in my game. I'll learn from it and move on! What ya wanna bet I remember next time *WHICH* brake to use in a tight turn?
rock.gif
Hell of a way to learn it but I bet I don't forget that lesson!
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085345504 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

BT,

I know how precious our bikes are to us, but I'm glad you did get hurt when you dropped her ... and you did hurt yourself picking that heavy girl back up. Thanks for sharing, may we all remember from your lesson.

Glad you are OK. Little polish and very little paint, should have you up and going.

Sorry about the spill but glad your ok
At least there wasnt much damage and you will definately remember this lesson

First, Glad it wasn't some kinda serious, ugly, bits-N-pieces kinda thing.  Glad your are here typing so I can now give you a sizable ration of poop...

I dunno Bro....  Sounds to me like now you have rashed plastic that needs painting AND a damaged Ally cap on your slider.  The expensive plastics are still damaged and need replacing/repainting right?   HMMM...  So in a low speed tip-over your slider and your fairing is damaged...  So basically you spent $100 on the sliders... then spent an afternoon cutting holes in your pristine plastics so you could bolt these things on to prevent damaging expensive plastics in JUST this kinda accident...which they failed to do...  So instead of having to pick up a mirror on ebay for $15,  and a $10 Bar end, in addition to the plastic.  You spent $100 on sliders that didn't do there job and you have to paint/replace plastic anyway...

I dunno Bro... Is this one of things where your just trying to convince yourself that all that hard work you put into them sliders was time well spent and I am here screwing it up?
rock.gif

Cause from where I sit, they failed and failed miserably. Basically they couldn't even save your plastics from a nearly stopped tip over... WTF use are they going to be in a simple 25mph lowside?

It's all good though, You know I love ya Bro, but I gotta at least try to cry foul here... Sliders did their job my butt... Now you have a specialized end cap your going to have to order and waight 3 weeks for... Hmmm.... interesting bro...
blues.gif

Maybe some longer regular delrin ones will be a smart choice for your next sliders...

Back