Trailering the hayabusa

BikePilot

Registered
I'm going to pick up my 'busa Saturday, and need to trailer it home till I get plates, insurance, etc.

I don't want to munge the paint, but I more dont want the busa laying on it's side.

I'm a little concerned about the canyon dancer bar harness putting too much pressure on the switchgear.

The construction of the 'busas handlebar mounting plate does not look (from the pictures) like it can withstand the hendreds of pounds of downforce on the bar ends that would be encountered when the compressed fork hits an Illinois pavement frost-heave (a 75 mph speed bump).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

I have trailered from CT. to Florida. I use 6 ratchet strapes on a 1-rail motorcycle trailer..

2- from the handle bars using y split PCV pipe over the grips to avoid the strapes hitting the paint. or using your strapes.
using your straps just make sure you use 2 other sets to balance out hte load presure.

2- On the middle bottom of the bike for stability on the frame.

2- On the back wheel to keep the bike from moving

Never had the bike move more than inch left and right inside of the rail.

Check every coulple of hundred miles

Best bet if you can is get it insured with a tepm plate and drive home. how many miles?

280 miles. The weather this time of year can be pretty scary. Plus, I can't get a temp plate without the old title, which I can't get till I pay the guy, etc., etc.

Can you elaborate on the pvc trick? It's a new one on me.

Dave

What I do is place the PVC Y joind on the grips so you don't mess up the trottle. The strap fits into the Y with out cruching the grips and trottle. I fastend the pipe with 3 inches of 1 1/2 inch rubber hose and 2 hose clamps. the 2 hose clamps keep the PVC from moving.

I've trailers my busa for thousands of miles with no problems. run two small straps (can't think of what they are called) over around the triple tree (one on each side-make sure you work it inside the cables)). Then i use a rachet strap on each side, and crank it down till the springs are tense but not too tight. (They need to be allowed to bouce some but not enough where the bike will move). Then i chock the front and rear wheel. I ride for a few miles get out and check the tension on the straps and make any adjustments and then roll on. I've trailered as far as NC to Daytona , Fla and back with no problems. Not to mention all the time i trailer from central NC to deals gap, which is in western NC.

I'll have to check the maker of my bar harness but it keeps the rachet tiedowns off the paint. trailered many miles no problem don't compress your forks all the way and tie rear down by grab bar.
biggrin.gif

ok here is the best way to transport the busa. I learned from several years of hauling my V Max around. Now I do it with a little class I have a 30' fifth wheel camper with the drop down tail gate ramp first 2/3 of the camper is for us and the last room is for my Busa and my wife's Bandit 1200S. OK dont do the triple tree and using the handle bars to hold the bike down first thing you know your going to be replacing the fork seals. Too much pressure on the front of the bike will do them in. also the busa would be easy to scratch plus the handle bars on the busa are rubber mounted!! Now I know you may think this is a little nuts but look at the back end of the bike to tie it down. The back swing arm is all beef and if you tie the bike down with ratchet straps and do it tight the bike will stay if you have wheel blocks bolted down on each side of the back tire so the bike will not slide to the side. I do have blocks on both sides of the front tire and in front of the front tire. I do use handlebar soft ties but they are not tight just snug they are only there for an emergency. I use 4 ratchet ties on the back of each bike look down at the bike and picture the ties going off the back swing arm like a big X the bike can't go to the front or the back and the tires cant slide side to side. No pressure on the front of the bike at all the front seals are not loaded and the bike cant fall over. It takes a little time but the bike will always be safe..
aktion033.gif
ernaehrung004.gif
link is Sue with my Busa

:hammerhead:

I trailer my bike every weekend 250miles round trip. I use soft ties on the bars with tie downs. On the back I use tie downs attatched to the rear footpegs. This thing is so solid I could flip my trailer and it wouldn't move. Been trailering this way for many years many bikes with no problems.
yinyang.gif

Back