Trailering my bike

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
A buddy and I are going to trailer our bikes up to oregon and I've have never had my bike on a trailer....before I load it up I just wanted to know if you guys could give some advice/tips so I don't screw something up.

We usually ride up there but we have to take the truck to do some work while were there so we were gonna take a day ride up the oregon coast.

I have those nylon tie down straps I used to use when I would put my dirt bike in the back of the truck. How do you all do it?

ozz, in my experience, just make sure u have atleast 4 points anchored, all pulling in opposite directions to counterbalance the bike....

DO NOT TRY to use the kickstand, make sure bike is upright (im sure u know this)...if possible, use a wheel chock for front wheel, makes life alot easier IMO

Also, not sure what its called, but there is a strap that goes over the handle bars that u can hook a rachet strap to, without strapping to the ACTUAL handle bars. jusr make sure to check every once in a while, tighten as necessary! Good luck ;)

ozz, in my experience, just make sure u have atleast 4 points anchored, all pulling in opposite directions to counterbalance the bike....

DO NOT TRY to use the kickstand, make sure bike is upright (im sure u know this)...if possible, use a wheel chock for front wheel, makes life alot easier IMO

Also, not sure what its called, but there is a strap that goes over the handle bars that u can hook a rachet strap to, without strapping to the ACTUAL handle bars.  jusr make sure to check every once in a while, tighten as necessary!  Good luck ;)
If I don't get that strap for the bars is it o.k. to just strap to the handle bars? and what is the place to strap to on the back of the bike? Thanks man
biggrin.gif

Also, not sure what its called, but there is a strap that goes over the handle bars that u can hook a rachet strap to, without strapping to the ACTUAL handle bars.  jusr make sure to check every once in a while, tighten as necessary!  Good luck ;)
If I don't get that strap for the bars is it o.k. to just strap to the handle bars?  and what is the place to strap to on the back of the bike?     Thanks man
biggrin.gif
Yeah, its not a problem to strap to the handle bars, just make sure not to OVERTIGHTEN...u can actually warp the bars if u rachet too tight! be careful

As far as the rear, some people's opinions differ on this one...i personally run my straps thru the swing arm and come off at about a 45 degree angle, right under the exhaust...but it all depends on your anchor point on the vehicle u are using to haul. Ive even attached to the rear footpeg for shorter trips, jsut use caution here. I recommend anywhere u do strap, if there is any chance for the strap to make contact with any plastic or polished surface, use rags under the straps to help protect the surface!

Chemist

Have never used the handle bars to strap the bike down, so I can't help but the Canyon Dancer strap works great! It is important to ensure that your tie-down points are far enough away from the bike so that the straps don't rub the plastic. When you strap the front down make sure the forks are completely compressed and you should have no problems. Also, for the rear of the bike I run a strap through the wheel to secure it.

Have never used the handle bars to strap the bike down, so I can't help but the Canyon Dancer strap works great!  It is important to ensure that your tie-down points are far enough away from the bike so that the straps don't rub the plastic.  When you strap the front down make sure the forks are completely compressed and you should have no problems.  Also, for the rear of the bike I run a strap through the wheel to secure it.
O.K. canyon dancer strap...I think I better get one...and thankyou for the info.
smile.gif

Just got back from trailering my bike from Rochester, NY to Myrtle Beach, SC. Here's what I did: FIRST--Used Canyon Dancer on the handle bars (BTW: I just got the Dancer. Used straps on the bars themselves before). SECOND--Used straps on the passenger pegs. Also used a chauk for the front wheel. In my opinon--BUY GOOD RATCHET STRAPS. I'm always amazed that some guys trust their $11,000 bike with $5.00 Wally-World straps. I drove 1,000 miles each way and never had a problem. The bike rode great and never moved an inch (especially throught the mountains of PA). Good Luck and have fun!

Just got back from trailering my bike from Rochester, NY to Myrtle Beach, SC.  Here's what I did:  FIRST--Used Canyon Dancer on the handle bars (BTW: I just got the Dancer.  Used straps on the bars themselves before).  SECOND--Used straps on the passenger pegs.  Also used a chauk for the front wheel.  In my opinon--BUY GOOD RATCHET STRAPS.  I'm always amazed that some guys trust their $11,000 bike with $5.00 Wally-World straps.  I drove 1,000 miles each way and never had a problem.  The bike rode great and never moved an inch (especially throught the mountains of PA).  Good Luck and have fun!
Thanks hottrodd!!
smile.gif
I'm just gonna get some new straps as well...
smile.gif

smile.gif

i use a wheel chock and bar straps when trailering....... with the forks fully compressed in the front ur bike wont go anywhere........ i have yet to tie down the rear and i have had no issues......... u also want to make sure that u tie a knot with the extra strap up around the ratchet gear in case a gear does for some unlikely reason come loose on ya...... strappin the front only worked jsut fine for me and held the bike solid. even when i blew a tire on my trailer runnin bout 75 mph.

just my .02

I've used these for a couple years now, and I love them. Magnum Tie Down Bar.
A canyon dancer will still rub your fairing, the tie down bar will not.

Picture018.jpg

Picture012.jpg

http://mtds-inc.com/_wsn/page2.html

The condor chocks are the best as is the other chock brand. But they are expensive. The T bar is $80.

I've used these for a couple years now, and I love them.  Magnum Tie Down Bar.
A canyon dancer will still rub your fairing, the tie down bar will not.

Picture018.jpg

Picture012.jpg

http://mtds-inc.com/_wsn/page2.html

The condor chocks are the best as is the other chock brand.  But they are expensive.  The T bar is $80.
That looks like a great set up there...nothing touches and it looks real secure to me the way the pin goes down in...I'm gonna go ahead and order one tomorrow 80 bucks or not...God I would just cry if my bike went tumbling of the back of the trailer
crazy.gif
man, thanks for turn'in me on to that set-up
beerchug.gif
I was a little worried at first when I found out we were gonna trailer em up. For one thing its just not right to trailer a bike
tounge.gif
I'n fact a guy at work the other day said to me, "What! trailer you bike, look at my license plate frame." It said "Not a Trailer Tramp" he laughed and the worst part was he has a hardley
biggrin.gif

I tie my front down with two soft ties through the caliper brackets. I slid some straps on it while it is on the lift. The I-bolt should be mounted forward so the strap is in front of the axle, but it shows the general way I use it in the trailer. Two more soft-ties and straps in the rear. Pull all 4 straps forward to pull the bike up against a chock. The Condor or Baxley are great, use a pingle if you cant afford one of those, but use a chock. I disagree with those that pull two front straps forward and two rear straps backward. One strap failure can drop the bike. Pulling all forward into the chock would require two straps to fail in most conditions.

It was amazing how many bikes I fixed from a bad trailering incident when I had a shop.

I have to load mine in the trailer Friday to head to the drag strip. I'll try to remember to get a picture or two.

td3101.jpg

td3100.jpg

Used Baxely sport chocks and tie downs for two bikes in a van on way to the Bash. The Baxely can't be beat in my opinion. The chocks weren't bolted in, but strapped from forward movement so sudden panic stops wouldn't leave us "under the Busas"
Bikes strapped from rear pegs to wall supports, and from pillion handles to rear, again for sudden stops. they rode well.
before the chock I used canyon dancers and strapped as mentioned above. They worked well also.

Bash.jpg

Thanks Professor and PD!
smile.gif
Man, I'll tell ya, It pays to be a member here, flrider hooked me up with the bar set-up, gonna let me borrow his to go up there with.....I'm humbled by such a generous offer and all your help to
bowdown.gif

Back