Trailer weight help...

casualdreamer

Registered
Ok, I am deployed right now (USMC). My wife is in CLJNC. I am trying to get us both new vehicles with the Over Seas New Car Sales rep here for almost half off the vehicles price on both. Its a hell of a deal can't let it pass. My Leonard Trailer 5x10 single axle has the weight sticker on it stating: GVWR 2995lbs and GAWR: 3500lbs. I have tried searched and googled everything trying to find out the actual weight of the trailer empty but I can't. I know that the GVWR means the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating meaning that is what can hold safely. Also the GAVWR means the Gross Axle Weight. I don't see how the trailer can be 2995lbs empty that only leaves me like 600lbs. Which is like my bike and gear.
The car she is wanting is a V6 which is rated at 3500lbs but I don't really want to want her to have to pull the trailer and put a stress on her engine. I ma getting a V8 which can handle it NO DUH. She is not comfortable with driving big trucks. Do you all know how to the math on this without having to take the bike to a scale and getting it weighed. All the help will be grateful thanks so much. I will be home in 7 months can't wait. :please:

I would give Leonard a call and they can probably tell you...

GAWR means that the axle can handle 3500 lbs; you always want axles with a higher weight rating than the trailer. The GVWR is the number you want to go by. Just a guess, but I would venture to say that the trailer is close to 1000 lbs empty; so you could put close to 2000 lbs in it...

I have a 6' x 12' v-nose. 2990 GVWR. I called the manufacturer and they told me 990 lbs empty. So, I can safely load 2000 lbs of cargo.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
GVWR 2995lbs and GAWR: 3500lbs.

GVWR isn't the weight of the trailer, it is the max reccomended when fully loaded, I believe this includes the weight of the trailer.

GVWR and GAWR are just two seperate ratings of what the axle and trailer are each rated to carry. The axle rating should be higher than the trailer rating, but subtracting one from the other doesn't give you any usable number.

As omslaw said it probably weighs quite a bit less, around 1000 lbs is a safe bet. which means you can pack ~ 2500 lbs into the trailer safely.

The car she is wanting is a V6 which is rated at 3500lbs
Is the 3500 lbs the GVWR?
The car's GVWR is not the same as it's tow rating.

BTW my parents have no problem pulling their enclosed single axle trailer loaded with two harleys, gear, etc. with any of our vehicles.
V6 caravan, V6 Blazer, V6 wrangler, and V8 Tahoe all pull it fine.

Stay safe, hope the time passes quick for you. :thumbsup:

Is the 3500 lbs the GVWR?
The car's GVWR is not the same as it's tow rating.

BTW my parents have no problem pulling their enclosed single axle trailer loaded with two harleys, gear, etc. with any of our vehicles.
V6 caravan, V6 Blazer, V6 wrangler, and V8 Tahoe all pull it fine.

Stay safe, hope the time passes quick for you. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Thank you all... I hope it will go by fast also. Here vehicle max towing wait is 3500lbs. You guys are awesome.:thumbsup::thumbsup::bowdown:

Cool, so the car she wants can tow 500 lbs more than the max weight the trailer should be carrying. Sounds like it's well within it's limits. :thumbsup:

In the owners manual of the vehicle it should list a towing weight. I believe even cars do. Your trailer and a bike shouldnt weigh more that 2000 lbs. Most vehicles can tow that much. Remember, it's not the engine you need to worry about, it's the transmission, brakes, weight, and frame of the towing vehicle. I used to have a 99 trans am with a LS1, didnt mean I could tow trucks around...

Last edited:
Back