Trailer help

Slowboy

Registered
Well i'm getting ready to make my trip to Illinois for Father's Day...

Well anyway I'm useing a friend 5x10 metal utility trailer to haul my bike..

He's letting me bolt a pingel wheel choke... but my ??? is should I use soft tie's or go with canyon dancer?? and also can i put the hook of the strap into the metal flooring or buy some hooks for the floor??? and should I do the same for the back too!!???

canyon dancers are ok,,I have one But i prefer the handle bar straps[about 7.00 a pair,,and run your crank tie downs thru them ,,once the front forks are compressed,,that bike isnt going anywhere,,,but dont over crank,,you dont want to take a chance of snapping the handlebar grips,,it doesnt take alot of pressure,,I ussally will put one on each side hooked to the upper swingarm as added[unessary] insurance,,and when you done cranking them down,,I use electrical tape to wrap aroung the tiedown cranking heads as insurance that they dont pop open when you hit a bump,,,remember..it doesnt take alot of fork compression to hold that bike down,,,,,I also have used a 5x8 utility railer to haul my bike,,you can tie it down the same way or run the bike nose first into the left front corner leaving it in gear and put a 1/4 small piece of plywood under the kickstand and tied it down that ay,,2 straps on the left]kickstandside,,and one on the other side,,,and you mentioned where to hook on the trailer...your tie down strap have two hooks on the,,,usssually all utility trailers have a small rail around them about 6 inches high,,wrap one end of the tiedown strap around that rail hooking it to itself,,,,,

Strap from the lower triple clamp (one on each side), then one each from the rear pass peg mounts. I avoid the handle bars.
I now use a pittbull trailer restraint without straps. If you trailer often it is a good investment. $240- $275 not cheap but very good system.

I would go with a Canyon Dancer and a good set of tie downs. I would also use some rags to put in between the straps and the bike if they touch anywhere.

Back