Trailer for hauling bikes

SuedePflow

Registered
I'm in the market for a utility trailer. It's going to be used for general stuff around the house, but I also want to be able to haul two motorcycles with it.

In regards to bike hauling; Is there any specific features I should be on the look for to make mike hauling better?

I have a relatively open budget, but I don't think I'm interested in spending the coin for an enclosed trailer right now. I'm think after a single axle 6x12 or 6x10 with a mesh ramp gate. Are high sides good to have or does it not really matter?

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Enclosed offers a lot of benefits. The mesh trailers really worry me with a bike as heavy as the Busa. Make sure you invest in a front wheel chock for the Busa. Kickstand and straps just won't do.

Security of the bikes is the important thing to me. I had an open trailer years ago because I didn't think I would use it that much and didn't want to spend the money for an enclosed one. As the economy began to go south and crime rates went up I decided to get the enclosed and haven't looked back. The double axle with fold-down rear door are very useful and make the journey very easy on the tow vehicle. Just my worthless $.02.

We're going to go look at some enclosed trailers this weekend. They're asking $2350 plus tax for a 6x12 wedge nose. We'll see what happens.

I'll definitely have wheel chocks on any trailer. I've never hauled a bike without one.

We've got an enclosed trailer...I'll get Omar to post up the specs. It's not huge, but it's useful, room for 3 bikes if you need it, a small toolbox, gear, etc...

I think it's worth the $ if you're hauling. You won't arrive with a pitted bike and you can sleep while traveling without worry. :)

Yep, go with enclosed. Look into Baxley Sport Chocks or the Pitbull Trailer Restraint System to secure the bike. Michelle and I have a 6' x 12' enclosed with wedge nose. The nose adds a couple more feet which is perfect for hauling 3 Busas (which we have done!)

Here's some pics of the layout from a few years back:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-haulers/130520-hauler-upgrades-time-bash.html

I've made some changes; moved the stands to the wall, added a deep-cycle battery, etc.

Security was something I hadn't before considered. I do like the thought of that though.

Much of the reason for my GF wanting enclosed is so we can use it to store the bikes and anything else during the winter months so that they aren't taking up precious garage space.

Security was something I hadn't before considered. I do like the thought of that though.

Much of the reason for my GF wanting enclosed is so we can use it to store the bikes and anything else during the winter months so that they aren't taking up precious garage space.

Michelle and I have done exactly that in our last house when we didn't have the garage...and even now when we need extra space in the garage...just pull the bikes into the trailer and lock it up...

pitbull trs for the win. it makes it so easy to secure the bike than anything else, just for a more sense of security there is a front harbor freight chock for the front wheel as well

image.jpg

image.jpg

depends how often ur gonna use it and how far ur gonna go and wat type of vehicle u hav to haul it. not everyone has a truck. some ppl only have cars. if u get a double bike enclosed trailer it mite weigh too much to be hauled by a car.

its one of the reasons I chose to build a race bike bike vs. a race car cause I don't own a truck nor will I ever cause their just not for me. I can haul a bike easily with my car.

im kinda partial to these.....
their available in a single or double.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Chevy Suburban for pulling, so I'm good there.

Now the question is single axle or tandem? I originally wanted a single for cost savings, lighter and easier to pull, and because a single axle supports more than enough weight. But I've had a few people say that it's worth it to go tandem. Thoughts on that?

A few reasons.

One it can hold more weight. Someday you may need that.

If you blow a tire you can limp home where as a single axle your not going anywhere till it's fixed.

MOST tandems will have electric brakes and they are very useful especially with more weight inside.

I wouldn't waste my money on a single - but that's just me.

:withstupid: Probably more reasons, but that should be enough to get you started.

Back