Traditional Open Bi-lateral Inguinal Hernia Repair With Mesh

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Anyone here ever fortunate enough to go through this procedure? If so what was your experience? Recovery time, mesh complications, etc. I had this done 10 days ago, my first surgery ever, not a pleasant experience. Looking forward to the future when I can resume rigorous activities, road cycling, mountain biking, etc.

I'm 43 now . Had it done when I was 30 or 31 . No issues so far , and I'm extremely active . 6 weeks before they would let me work @ light duty .
You will need 6 weeks just to be able to take a normal crap . I kind of forget exactly how long because it was 12 or 13 years ago , but it was close to 4 months before I felt strong/normal again . How big was the cut they made ? I have Mylar with no issues . One thing I remember waking up my Dr.
said he had been doing this for 40 plus years , and I was the largest inguinal hernia he had seen . I think he meant scar tissue i'm not sure .

had mine done a year ago, both sidekillers necessarys at same time, (bogoff offer!) done on the tuesday, no painkillers required after first day, driving car on the saturday onwards, back at work (in office only) the following monday. Didn't have bike at the time , so can't comment on that aspect

2 years ago. It really depends on how big the hernia (tear) actually was. Smaller ones less pain heal quicker. Larger ones take longer. You muscle needs to regrow thru the mesh. My Dr. said 6 weeks light (i mean, no lifting anything) but I probably skipped that a little.

2 years ago. It really depends on how big the hernia (tear) actually was. Smaller ones less pain heal quicker. Larger ones take longer. You muscle needs to regrow thru the mesh. My Dr. said 6 weeks light (i mean, no lifting anything) but I probably skipped that a little.

Not to be negative or scare you, but my 29 year old son had the same procedure. All was fine for two years. Then, after being in a lot of pain, the doctors discovered an infection around and in the mesh. He had to go to KU med center to get the mesh removed. This took a long time as they had to be sure they got all the mesh. There aren't too many doctors that will handle that procedure since it very risky. Just be sure if you have any pain down the road in that surgical spot that you get it checked out quickly. It is much easier to remove if you discover an infection early.

Back