Trading my R1 in on a Hayabusa

Z28McCrory

Registered
Hey guys,

First off, i would like to say you guys have a great board. Looks like there is a lot of good information to be found here.

I have decided that im just too big and uncomfortable on my 2004 R1. Im 6'3" and weigh about 275lbs. I thought it was just the nature of a sport bike and that it was something i was going to have to get used to. I went to the dealership to look at a 2008 orange and black hayabusa last night. As soon as i sat on it i knew it was the bike for me. Its worlds more comfortable, and i fit it a lot better.

That being said i would like some input on the trade that they are workin out with me at the dealership. I have only been to one place, going to a second tonight to compare.

My 04 R1 has 14,6xx miles on it. Its silver. It is in perfect condition, never down, not even a stratch or scuff. It has frame sliders and a paging alarm system on it, other than that bone stock. It probably could go for some new tires, but that is the only negative that could be said about it. Im attaching a couple pics at the bottom of this post.

The deal that they are working out for me is as follows:

2008 Hayabusa: 10,800
My trade in: -6,500
-----------------------
Difference out the door: $4,300

Do you guys think this is a good deal? I have found Busas online out the door for under 10k, but they are quite a drive. I know that dealerships need to make money too, but i know they could make a quick 500-1000 off my R1 at the price they are giving me, and i know they are still making a decent chunk off the Busa. It only took me about 2 min with the saleman to negotiate this price, so it makes me think i could push more, lol.

92254294_3thumb_550x410.jpg

92254294_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I would want both
smile.gif
and the price seems pretty reasonable barring any outrageous prep/doc fees...

As far as i know, the only thing that we had to add to that was tax. He didn't mention anything else.

I really love the looks and such of the R1, but its just not for me. I took a 300 mile road trip on it last Saturday and that was the last straw.

How much "worse" does a Busa handle over an R1? Im not into track days or taking twisties really fast, but im just curious how they compare? The only thing i can see my self eventually doing is drag racing it, so i think a Busa would fit my goals a lot better.

Obviously being a Busa website, you guys love your Busas, but what pros and cons does a Busa have over an R1 that i will notice right off?

That's a fair deal. I'd snap it up quick!

Get it, and post up some pix of your NEW ride!
beerchug.gif

Yep pricing looks decent enough. Won't hurt to call and ask the other place about their price. Tell them what the you are offered on your bike on trade-in. However other place might tell you that sounds about right,but once you get there they will nick pick you down in trade-in price due to the fact that they are selling their busa cheaper. Once they get people there they rely on the fact that you drove all that way and won't wanna be hassled with going back to the other store.

Also tell the place you currently working with the other places price and see what they think. Might give you cheaper price or come down on theirs more. Especially if they think you will go to the other place. Which is how you should sound. Saving "X" amount of money over time for travel kinda thing. 07 Busa's were selling for 8kish at one point. 08's weren't out yet. So they have room to work with for profit and such.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you get it!

Im going tonight to look at another dealership.

The one i talked to last night didn't have the bike in yet, its supposed to be here next week.

Hopefully i get the title to my R1 back soon. I purchased the R1 less than 3 weeks ago, lol. When i went to get my registration and such they took the title and are going to mail me the new one showing me as the current owner.

Do you think it would be pushing it to try and get them to throw in a helmet or something? I dont wana be a low baller, but i like getting good deals
cool.gif

I have a rookie question...

The bike that was on the showroom floor just had a passenger seat where the "Busa Hump" was. Does it come with the busa hump and it just fit over the passenger seat or... ? How does that work.

Yes it comes with the hump and no it doesn't go over the seat you have to switch it out. I have to say that the Busa is the most comfortable bike I sat on. Welcome and keep us updated on your purchase. I think you are getting a great trade in price but you always want a second look.

l_83aded6928850f699ae27007edd38b0d.jpg

Ah ok

Sweet bike you have there.

Im already looking up stuff to do to it.

This probably isn't the place to ask this, and im sure its in a sticky somewhere but.... Programmer, filter, and exhaust the best first mods? Can you repack the factory cans like some people do on the R1's, or is it best to get a slip on? Whats a good site to browse for 08 mods... i always went to tobefast.com for my R1 stuff but they dont have much 08 busa stuff.

I would pull the alarm, sliders and get all my custom stuff off I could and get it back to stock since that is likely the price they are basing your trade-in on.

I was considering doing that.

The alarm was on their when i purchased it so i dont know what all is involved in pulling it. Its a scorpio system.

Ah ok

Sweet bike you have there.

Im already looking up stuff to do to it.

This probably isn't the place to ask this, and im sure its in a sticky somewhere but.... Programmer, filter, and exhaust the best first mods?  Can you repack the factory cans like some people do on the R1's, or is it best to get a slip on?  Whats a good site to browse for 08 mods... i always went to tobefast.com for my R1 stuff but they dont have much 08 busa stuff.
A good site to go on is ' motoxoutlet.com' or extremekempy.com.
moto is a larger company who has a high turnover of product so the prices are okay.
extremekempy is a small guy who exclusively deals with busas ! He is going to give you the best deal he possibly can. he'd rather make less money on something then loose a customer.
He has hands -on experience because he customises busas himself . So for a nice little chat about the do's and don'ts I always go to him.
His phone is : 3096437402.

Alarm should be pretty easy to take off, but unless you have no-cut sliders there will be a hole left.

Thanks again for all the info and advise guys.

I went to another dealership last night. I asked them if they could beat the deal that the first dealership gave me. The guy acted like he thought i was lieing about the price. He just said "i will ask our manager and get back with you, but dont hold your breath, thats a strong deal... i doubt we could even match it"

Also, the first dealership called me yesterday. The orange and black one that i was waiting on came in yesterday. I think im gona go ahead and go for it. Going after work to sign the papers for it.

My last worry is this... i purchaed my R1 only three weeks ago. I have the "Application for Certificate of Title" that they gave me when they sent in my title when i registered it. Since i purchased it off a private party i guess they have to send it off and get me a new title... so this is all i have to work with. Can i just sign this over to the dealership when i trade in the R1 or am i going to have to wait untill i get the new title in my hand?

Back