Traded In The Busa!

Shaun Ketterman

Registered
I finally 'called it'. For those who followed any of my threads, you know I bought this bike knowing it was in need of some love, and in the end, the needs of the bike were more than the bank account, and what I wanted in a bike, could tolerate.

I handed the Busa keys over to Harley Davidson in Temecula, CA, and came home with an '07 ZX-10R ("special edition" and only 7,700 miles!!).

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

To be completely honest, I didn't do ANY homework prior to buying the Busa. I had outgrown the ZX6R I had, and wanted a bigger and more powerful bike. The deal on the Busa was perfect, and I couldn't turn it down. Plus, I mean, it was a freakin' BUSA. No explanation needed lol. But I didn't realize that the Busa was more of a 'Tourer' than street bike, and the combination or it not being the type of bike I really wanted and the fact that it had numerous issues, including a very expensive tranny issue, I just couldn't justify keeping it.

To be completely honest, though, this ZX-10R is exactly what I wanted from the start, I just didn't realize it. The acceleration of this machine, believe it or not, is BETTER than my old Busa. The handling is much better, the brakes are much better, I mean, pretty much everything is better. I think the only thing I miss about the Busa is the seat, which was MUCH more comfy, and the clutch...that hydraulic clutch spoiled my left hand rotten. I'm cramping up with this Ninja and its cable clutch lol. Oh and the gas gauge was a very nice amenity.

Anyways, I really wanted to say that I am more than grateful for all the assistance, guidance, and knowledge I received here at the Org. I learned an unbelievable amount of information about 1st Gen Busa's it's insane. This is BY FAR the friendliest and most helpful motorcycle forum I've been a part of, and it's not even close. So a huge "Thank You!!" to everyone who contributed their input to the many threads I started. Wishing you all the best with your rides. Stay safe out there, and take care!

Shaun

Great news, that you've found the bike you wanted, shame about the busa, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the causes of the problems are.
I've heard the zx10 has got amazing performance, that's a great looking bke, probably half the weight of a busa too lol.
There might be a mod out, to convert it to a hydraulic clutch but much less to go wrong on a cable setup.

Don't want to sound like the guy who hasn't got anything good to say but I was always told that if I ever got a zx10 to stay away from thw 06-07 model. They say before of after those years is what you want. Anyhow I hope it all works out for you. I think you're heart might have been Kawi all along tho and making the heart happy is the way 2 go.

Congrats on the purchase, follow your heart with what you ride. Cant go wrong.

Its always important to get the bike that's fits your idea of a great ride. No way a ZX10 beats a properly running Busa though, except maybe in the turns. But that's cool, it's more about the bike feeling like home. I have ridden everything I can looking for my next bike and the Busa just fits so perfectly I can't find anything to switch to.

That is a great ZX10 though. Looks like it got some TLC and strategic, tasteful upgrades too. Have fun bro!

Call me cynical but I'm sure you fully disclosed the numerous expensive issues to the Harley dealer so the next buyer doesn't get blindsided...

Great news, that you've found the bike you wanted, shame about the busa, it would be interesting to find out exactly what the causes of the problems are.
I've heard the zx10 has got amazing performance, that's a great looking bke, probably half the weight of a busa too lol.
There might be a mod out, to convert it to a hydraulic clutch but much less to go wrong on a cable setup.

There is one, actually, but I'm gonna just stick with the cable. I just need to quit a huge pxssy and strengthen my grip up :-)

View attachment 1570498

https://www.meetup.com/Inland-Empire-Sport-Riders/

Going for a ride Saturday ~^~ headed out to the curves . . .

Hell yeah, I will definitely try to make it, thanks!

Don't want to sound like the guy who hasn't got anything good to say but I was always told that if I ever got a zx10 to stay away from thw 06-07 model. They say before of after those years is what you want. Anyhow I hope it all works out for you. I think you're heart might have been Kawi all along tho and making the heart happy is the way 2 go.

Oh, I'm well aware of what is said about this year lol. I read up on this bike for the last few weeks just to know what to expect and what to look out for, but I hear you. Honestly, if this is the 'worst' of the bunch, I mean, I'll take it!

Its always important to get the bike that's fits your idea of a great ride. No way a ZX10 beats a properly running Busa though, except maybe in the turns. But that's cool, it's more about the bike feeling like home. I have ridden everything I can looking for my next bike and the Busa just fits so perfectly I can't find anything to switch to.

That is a great ZX10 though. Looks like it got some TLC and strategic, tasteful upgrades too. Have fun bro!

Thanks man! I completely agree. My Busa was definitely running well below 100%, no doubt about it. And you're right, this bike really does fit to a T and that is what is important.

Call me cynical but I'm sure you fully disclosed the numerous expensive issues to the Harley dealer so the next buyer doesn't get blindsided...

Lol yeah dude they know all about it. From the first time I went in there I told them everything. Their intent isn't to even sell it on their lot, they are just taking it to auction. I had that on my conscience initially too, because I would have felt like a real PoS ;-)

Friend of mine bought an 07 zx10 new, the special edition like yours, and sold it last year.
Never had a single issue with it.
I'de look into an ecu flash for it, otherwise they are great bikes.

sweet zx10:thumbsup:

Thank you sir!

The meet - up spot is right near your house this Saturday morning . . .

View attachment 1570520

Ha! Well I don't recognize it from the photo, but pending something CRAZY happening, I'll be there man, looking forward to it!

Friend of mine bought an 07 zx10 new, the special edition like yours, and sold it last year.
Never had a single issue with it.
I'de look into an ecu flash for it, otherwise they are great bikes.

Right on, six. I've got one of those speedo healers on the way, and I'm about to pick up a PC...can you do a ECU flash with a PC?

Thank you sir!

Ha! Well I don't recognize it from the photo, but pending something CRAZY happening, I'll be there man, looking forward to it!

Right on, six. I've got one of those speedo healers on the way, and I'm about to pick up a PC...can you do a ECU flash with a PC?

No sir, sorry, I only have a bench flasher for gen2 ecus, Busas and Bkings. And can do gsxrs if I have the bike.
Ide pm Powerhouse about a Kawasaki ecu flash. I'm not sure what he will use, but likely Ecu Unleashed.
And Power Commanders can't "flash" any ecu.

Back