Trade up or not

michael t

Registered
I just spent a lot of money getting my 07 ready for spring . I drop by dealer today and he has a 2012 Black sitting their . Now question is it really worth the money to trade my 07 with 21K miles for a new one.

Are their going to be any 2013 models This only 2012 he has got all year. He sells a lot more 1000 and 750's He never got a Zx-14 this year at all. Told me not sure going to order a new one of those .

2nd question if I did trade would my R-22 mufflers fit the new bike. Those factory mufflers are even worst looking that the ugly 2007 ones
No I don't want a 4 in to 1 I like the twin look. Iam old fashion .

I would wait. Hopefully Suzuki will step up for next year to compete against the Zx14r's numbers.

Trading in is not the way to go. Sell it yourself. Right now is the best time to sell, as spring is soon to hit.

good used Gen IIs are going cheap now (seen a few listed for under $8000). P.S. be ready to take a hit on the price of your 07 if you decide to sell.

If you can source a good gen 2 for a nice price go right ahead. we all want the gen 3 out but have no conclusive proof when. could be 2013 or even 2014.

I would take it by an see what they give you for a trade...dosent cost anything:beerchug: Maybe they will give you a deal.

2008- 2012 it's the same bike so unless you got some freaky love for that oem paint why buy a 2012???

Your Gen 1 is still brand new, 21K miles to me is still brand new bike . If those are slip ons cans on the Gen 1 they won't bolt on to the Gen 2 but with mods I am sure you could get them on since I have seen many people here swap exhaust from Gen 1 to Gen 2. Not sure what it would take or if it's worth the effort.

If you can live with that Gen 2 tail section :poke: :laugh: Gen 2 deals out there usually starting at 7K an up and you may find one with low miles and a few goodies to boot. Shop around :dunno: I wouldn't buy a New 2012 Gen 2 on the showroom floor when the 08-10 is the same bike for a lot less, and don't forget that Kawi just dropped a gauntlet and you never know if Suzuki decides to the up ante a bit in the next couple of years, 2013 -2014 may not be the same Gen 2 and you just picked up a 2012 for a new bike price and the Gen 3 hits the floor to answer Kawi's upgrade.

If I were shopping hyperbikes right now I would probably be looking at the newest Kawi, not a 2012 Busa. Unfortunately I just don't think a new Busa makes much sense right now. But hey, if money is not an issue go for what makes you happy.

Decisions decisions I don't know, the 2012 is here and like everybody has said its just graphic/colour change and thats it, however, when Suzuki bring out an new colour it usually lasts for two years, so another question is, would you want to wait that long, no Gen 3 until 2014.?

I've sold two Busa's and had bikes in between, I bought my third a K11 last September and with the money I have waisted could have kept one of my Gen 1 Busa's and still have a Gen 2.

Sell private if ya must sell your Gen 1 and buy a good low mieage (private sale) Gen 2

Best regards Stretch
PS Buy the Gen 2 as above, keep the Gen 1 :laugh:
PSS Gen 1's will soon get to a point where the prices will rise, Gen 2' will ony go down. :banghead:

PSS Gen 1's will soon get to a point where the prices will rise, Gen 2' will ony go down. :banghead:

I am not sure this is a good strategy. I may be speaking from ignorance but I cant recall any used modern bike prices bouncing off a low and start climbing. The busas were so mass produced and popular that I think the prices are set to be low and lower as time goes on. This is a good thing, the natural order. I am never a fan of a first model year either so that holding out for a Gen 3, for me, would see me getting into one in 2015 or 16 so the question becomes what do I want to fill in the next four years.

I believe the time to sell would be now. Prices for a hayabusa are very high right now and can only go down. I baught my 08 2 years ago for $6900 with only 4k miles on it. You wont see anything near that price right now so take advantage of it.

I am not sure this is a good strategy. I may be speaking from ignorance but I cant recall any used modern bike prices bouncing off a low and start climbing. The busas were so mass produced and popular that I think the prices are set to be low and lower as time goes on. This is a good thing, the natural order. I am never a fan of a first model year either so that holding out for a Gen 3, for me, would see me getting into one in 2015 or 16 so the question becomes what do I want to fill in the next four years.

Hi Trent, I've noticed its already started to happen here in England, when a dealer gets a low mileage unristricted Gen 1 in, they are starting to bring very good money, here in England many many Gen 1 Busa's have been broken for kit cars, so given the age of the unristricted originals, good ones are becoming rare, the dealers have caught on, it won't be long before the general public catch on either.

Best regards Stretch :bigsmile:

Hi Trent, I've noticed its already started to happen here in England, when a dealer gets a low mileage unristricted Gen 1 in, they are starting to bring very good money, here in England many many Gen 1 Busa's have been broken for kit cars, so given the age of the unristricted originals, good ones are becoming rare, the dealers have caught on, it won't be long before the general public catch on either.

Best regards Stretch :bigsmile:

I suspected that location might have a lot to do with your observations. I know we all have different market scenarios based on our locations. When I shop for bikes, as a pastime or actually trying to find one, I look at craigslist and maybe cycle trader and normally only on the West coast of the US so of course that's a great place to be a buyer because there are so many. Cheers

Back