Traction control on a Gen 1? Entrez Vous my fellow ORGanisms...

I'm not crazy about stretched bikes. I think extensions are a dangerous shortcut, and I don't want to spend a grand on an arm and still spend 400 on a progressive controller. With a megasquirt, I can get the tune dialed in, build in traction control, and have progressive nitrous control as well as a launch limiter for the same price, and not give up anything in the corners. Why wouldn't I want switchable, tuneable traction control, nitrous or otherwise?

I'm not crazy about stretched bikes. I think extensions are a dangerous shortcut, and I don't want to spend a grand on an arm and still spend 400 on a progressive controller. With a megasquirt, I can get the tune dialed in, build in traction control, and have progressive nitrous control as well as a launch limiter for the same price, and not give up anything in the corners. Why wouldn't I want switchable, tuneable traction control, nitrous or otherwise?
cause it probably wont workn like ure thinking.... in THEORY it seems great, but in practice.... have u found anyone using megasquirt to do what u are thinking?

On a Hayabusa, no. However, the things that I want to accomplish are being accomplished by users of the megasquirt on different platforms. I imagine I could just blueprint a solution based on their setup.

I believe it's the imagination, desire to do something different, something I want to try, or why the hell not that makes our bikes out own. If you reckon you can adapt it to your bike, go for it. I'd be keen to see how you get on and good on you for having a go.
After all, it's thinking along these lines that make the rostra cruise a possibility - yes it's a challege and some say "why?" - because we can

I don't think you have to have wheel speed sensors to have TC. The early systems for Kawasaki and the Bazzaz use quick changes in the engine RPMs to detect slippage. So all you need for that is a rev sensor and a microcontroller to write an algorithm to issue a spark shut off. Not that complicated and pretty simple from a programming standpoint. Now getting a microcontroller that can think this fast might be an issue. But if you went here you could do some magic. For example you could add a 6-axis measuring unit (gyros and accelorometers in a quarter sized chip) and tell the unit to cut the spark if the bike lifts 10 degrees, or be more aggressive with the TC when the bike is leaned. All very doable theoretically. Not saying it would be easy but it's certainly possible as a skilled DIY project.

I think keeping the systems as simple and compartmentalized is the keep for complexity and reliability/safety. Crazy thing is this isn't thousands of dollars of parts, more like $200-$500 in parts.

For the TC, if the system gets an acceleration in RPM that is faster than can happen with the wheels hooked up, it stops the spark for some period of time (obviously micro-seconds).

For launch control you could either allow only a certain amount of slippage, or cut spark when the bike lifts a certain amount in a wheelie. This information would come from the 6AMU, not needing anything more (no wheel sensors). This system could also cut power if the bike is leaning, or crossed up, or any other bad launch problem. You just have to teach the microcontroller to recognize the problem.

I imagine the m3 has a similar system to the motec which has a function of launch control that isn't what we think of when we think of a rev limiter at the tree. Im still learning about it. Its a function that actually does what you are asking with traction but not really called that. ill watch the vid again today and see if I can absorb a little more

How did I get brought into this lol :) I gave my ABS rings / sensors away to someone long ago .
I believe traction control is a experienced rider ;) Hope you get it sorted out though . Reminds me of the guy in Europe who put ABS on a Gen 1 with success.

How did I get brought into this lol :) I gave my ABS rings / sensors away to someone long ago .
I believe traction control is a experienced rider ;) Hope you get it sorted out though . Reminds me of the guy in Europe who put ABS on a Gen 1 with success.
You get brought into everything...that's the joy of being c10's Garage...:bowdown:

Back