Trackdays

rubber2burn

Donating Member
Registered
I just wanted to start a thread in regards to trackdays I know there are a few on here that do Trackdays on a regular basis and then there are people like myself and a few others that have maybe one or a couple of trackdays under there belts, then there are the ones that are thinking about doing trackdays. Well in this thread I thought would be a good place to share thoughts or ask questions you may have about trackdays. I know when I did my first trackday just a few weekends ago I had so much stuff running through my head it was not even funny but thanks to MPH200 and another friend of ours who is an instructor for RideSmart many of those question got answered. So with that said if you are beginner or expert rider there is always something new to learn wether it be on the track or off the track so ask questions it does not hurt to ask. Now for a little something that I learned on my first trackday out that is very vital Hydration is a must. Infact you should start hydrating yourself the day prior according to Ty Howard who is a CMRA Racer here in Texas. He told the group of us at TWS you should have to get up 2 or 3 times to pee the night before and then continue to hyrdrate through out the day because not only do the leathers take the water out of you so does the heat. Sorry for the long post guy but just want to get the info out there and have a place to dicuss and talk trackdays
ThumbsUp.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

+1, great topic.

I'm with you Adam, I was nervous as a damn cat in a room full of rockin chairs the first day, but Mike and Jason both made our first experience VERY enjoyable. Lots of stuff going on at the beginning in a short amount of time. Things that I wish I would have done was visit the suspension guy.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Now for a little something that I learned on my first trackday out that is very vital Hydration is a must[/quote]

This right here can't be stressed enough, especially this time of year in this part of the country. I cramped up all the way home like I was back on the pitch in a college soccer game.

My contribution to this topic is EARPLUGS
-They stress the use of hearing protection out there on the track, and I didn't use them the first few sessions, but grabbed a set for the third session and was alot more comfortable out there. They say to never look behind you, focus on the track in front of you, and I really did find myself wanting to look back MORE when I did not have the plugs in, cause sometimes I could hear someone creeping up behind me (not too much though, since I was passin everyone
firedevil.gif
HAHA!)

Thats my .02

DON'T RACE. It is a TRACK day, not a RACE day. If you trackday your Busa, don't show off [speed past everyone] on the straits - you will only clog everyone up trying to break [all that weight] to make the turns and end up seeming like a DBag to everyone else

Where I do trackdays, it is a very technicla track... (Loudon) I could not even imagine trying to run my Busa there!
My Gixxer 750 is perfect! Good topic Adam..'Bout time you did sumfin rite!! J/K
beerchug.gif

got my interest... I just have to figure out when and where...

well i cant contribute much to this thread except that when the track is fully soaked it is important to ride extra slow and smooth.... ask me how i know... my first and only trackday so far was a full on day of rain and no good laps... boo ohio weather boo!!!!!

Trackdays rule!

I love the challenge of learning new tracks and finding more speed on known tracks. Braking a little later, finding a different line, getting on the gas sooner...

For those doing their first trackday, as soon as you finish your first session go straight to the suspension vendor. This way your suspension is hot and he can set it up for you. This will make the bike feel much better and make your tires last much longer.

Where I do trackdays, it is a very technicla track... (Loudon) I could not even imagine trying to run my Busa there!
beerchug.gif
I have a tentative date of Aug 6th at New Hampshire International Speedway for my first time. Gonna lose my cherry. Is this the same as Loudeon? I think it is. I'll need to rent leathers and what ever else. I only have the Busa, I'm I gonna have my hands full? Run what ya brung? What else do I need to know. The class and trackday is called McAllister Motorcycle Safety School and costs 250.00 for the day. Can I go to the track on a different day for less if I don't go with this "organized group or school"?

DON'T RACE.  It is a TRACK day, not a RACE day.  If you trackday your Busa, don't show off [speed past everyone] on the straits - you will only clog everyone up trying to break [all that weight] to make the turns and end up seeming like a DBag to everyone else
My contribution and this is inline with WWJD's comment:

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE! Remember, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you, as well as SLOWER. Respect the other riders around you.

Concentrate on YOUR lines, reference points, and braking markers. Even if there is a gaggle of 15 riders in front of you, put them in your peripheral vision so you don't target fixate. learn to see the rider in front with your "mind's eye" yet concentrate on the task/track at hand.

Trackdays are NOT a RACE: it's good to lower laptimes but NEVER RACE against the laptimer. Use it as a tool to guage whether or not a certain suspension/bike setup, technique, line, or braking point is working better or not. Even certain body positioning will either increase or decrease laptimes. It's OK to dice it up with buddies, but remember, no one wins, no one loses, yet EVERYBODY WINS. If you wanna race, look into your local Club Racing Organization.

I'll have plenty more on the way.....

you will only clog everyone up trying to break [all that weight] to make the turns and end up seeming like a DBag to everyone else
If your name is Lamb Busa or Charlesbusa, this does not apply. They smoke 600's and liters in the tightest of corners!
wowold.gif
bowdown.gif
firedevil.gif

If you ever wanna know what it's like to be on a liter bike on a VERY tight and twisty track, only to find you're getting railed on by a Red/Black Busa or Blue/Black Busa, just ask me. I know from experience.

you will only clog everyone up trying to break [all that weight] to make the turns and end up seeming like a DBag to everyone else
If your name is Lamb Busa or Charlesbusa, this does not apply. They smoke 600's and liters in the tightest of corners!  
wowold.gif

bowdown.gif

firedevil.gif

If you ever wanna know what it's like to be on a liter bike on a VERY tight and twisty track, only to find you're getting railed on by a Red/Black Busa or Blue/Black Busa, just ask me. I know from experience.
firedevil.gif

Maybe on some tracks I can rail past you...

BUT

you put the smack down on me at Big Willow, I had nothing on you when you railed by me
winkold.gif

firedevil.gif

beerchug.gif
I have a tentative date of Aug 6th at New Hampshire International Speedway for my first time. Gonna lose my cherry. Is this the same as Loudeon? I think it is. I'll need to rent leathers and what ever else. I only have the Busa, I'm I gonna have my hands full? Run what ya brung? What else do I need to know. The class and trackday is called McAllister Motorcycle Safety School and costs 250.00 for the day. Can I go to the track on a different day for less if I don't go with this "organized group or school"?
Typically you can, but some groups/tracks insist you take a beginners school the first time so you can learn the basics of safe track riding.

If the track paddock area doesn't have shade(most don't) easy-ups are a must for shade. Chair. Water. Lunch.

To see who else runs there, try to get a copy a roadracing world's trackday directory. http://www.roadracingworld.com/

Back