Track Prep - probably more for the new guys

CaveDweller,

I haven't been to a race track yet. However, my research into this the local track requirements are that in addition to the steps you took, I would have to use distilled water coolant and safety wire the bike - no problem, just more time to prep the bike.

I have found it a good idea to safety wire the front axle pinch bolts, the drain plug, and the radiator cap. Also i think the bikes is more stable at 42psi on the stock BT56j's. IMHO-
ducmanic-

I posted a few questions a while ago about prepping a Hayabusa for the track. Only got a few responses indicating either few of you knew the answers or, that nobody really cared :). None of this is rocket science and you might find better/faster solutions on your own, I just wanted to know how to quickly do and undo the job and not screw up my bike. Hopefully this will be useful to some riders out there...

I spent last Tuesday riding to, at, and from Laguna Seca raceway and here is what I learned:

1) All the front lights (Hi, Lo, Signals) share one wireing harness that can be unplugged just aft of the dash panel on the LHS. This is a lot easier than pulling the fuses.

2) RV Mirrors come off easily by pulling back the rubber boot at the base exposing 2 bolts. No need to remove the internal plastic, just unscrew the bolts, the threaded bracket in the cowell will remain captive. This is just about as fast as taping the mirrors with duct tape and poses less risk of damage to the mirrors when you pull the tape back off.

3) Stock tires were plenty sticky for the track (at least for the way I ride - Some of the board won't agree that the stock tire is adequate but I tried the stock tire to see for myself). I scraped peg feelers but did not feel any tire slip. The battleaxes felt nice and tacky to the touch after the sessions and were nice and shredded right up to the edge of the tread (something I had never observed during street riding - the sticky/tackiness that is. Guess I never heated them up enough). I also ran them at 35 psi rather than the normal 42 psi. The guys at the track recommended 30 psi but I was too concerned the bike would feel boggy so I didn't go below 35 psi.

4) For the Brake and tail light I had to pull the bulbs (remove the lense by pulling 2 screws - bulbs twist out). Very fast

5) They made us cover all plastic (lenses, glass, etc - not the fairings) with duct tape which seemed to come off ok - didn't screw up the plastic or leave gummy residue.

and 6) If you still have those round plastic red and amber side reflectors, they just spin off by hand. One pair has a bracket with a thru hole and nut the other pair has a threaded bracket. I neded no tools for this removal.

Total time was about 20 minutes to prep and about 10 minutes to return to street legal.

Beyond that, my only major disappointment was that I only got to 120 mph on the straight, There is a drop off and slight turn halfway down the straight and I got a little air from the front. This caused a nasty head wobble and had to slow the bike quickly to set up for turn 1. There was another guy there on a copper Busa and he said he was hitting 140 (getting air too but a better rider than me - or is copper really faster ???) - BTW: these are uncorrected speedo readings.

The Hayabusa was fun but as most people have said, it is really too big (relative to the other bikes) for the track. I out accelerated everyone but the turns wore me out and by the end of the day I was really tired. If I go to the track again, I'll probably take a much lighter bike.

BTW: For you comfort issue guys: I left home at 5:20 AM, Rode for 1.5 hours arriving at Laguna Seca at 7 AM. Rode approx eight 20-30 min track sessions throughout the day. Left at approx 5 PM, rode 2 hours (hit traffic) and got home around 7 PM. At no time was I uncomfortable and found the seat and bar height (I have GenMars) perfectly comfortable.

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 24 March 2000).]

CaveDweller,

Didn't you also have to replace the coolant in the bike with plain water and safety wire all the bolts? I'm thinking of getting my YZF out on the track so I read your post with great interest.

Thanks for the perspective.

jcchen,

Coolant:
they said they "like" to see distilled water in the radiator but did not insist on coolant being replaced. I ran with the coolant.

Safety wire:
No this was not required or even suggested. It makes sense though and I wonder why they don't require it. Do they at your track ?

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 24 March 2000).]

Back