Track days!

Lamb busa

50 warming to 70 again
Donating Member
Registered
OK! As the site knows, the trackday at Miller Sports complex is coming up this next weekend! As Lamb has very limited track experience (other than watching thousands of races) he has started to devour the books by Keith Code, Twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist 2! Lamb reads in amazement at all the things he has been doing wrong. How the experiences of years of track racers and knowledge of riders learnings and mistakes has lead to the writing of the books! Lamb considers himself a good canyon rider with over 20 years of road riding experience. Having never read this book b4, Lamb is amazed at the level of newbieness he is experiencing! This added knowledge is making this trip very dynamic even b4 it gets started. Can't wait to discuss theses ideas and put them into action at the track!

Give some of your input on other books or these if you dare! Lamb is gonna dive into "The soft science of road racing motorcycles" by Keith Code next.

Most intriguing part of this book to me (so far) is the 40/60 weight distribution rule. 40% weight on the front and 60% weight on the back as the bike is cornering. The bike works correctly in the middle of the supension range, both front and rear, and the rear tire does the steering from this point on in the corner!

Thanks for reading and am very interested in your input!

and the rear tire does the steering from this point on in the corner! [/Quote]
What I really think he's saying is that the throttle does the steering when exiting the apex of the turn....rear tire traction determines your success.

(cosmo @ Aug. 24 2007,20:24) and the rear tire does the steering from this point on in the corner!
What I really think he's saying is that the throttle does the steering when exiting the apex of the turn....rear tire traction determines your success.[/Quote]
10-4!

The most convincing illustration of this is doing a wheelie coming off a corner. The lean angle of the bike remains the same even though the front wheel has left the ground!
Keith Code

I hate it when that happens
tounge.gif

1. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
2. You won't be the fastest on the track no matter what you think or wish.
3. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
4. Ask the more experienced riders for tips, hints, tricks. They will be glad to share
5. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
6. Practice your body position on turns, not just speeding through them
7. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
8. It is Canyons times ten. Prepare for the most addictive ride in your life.
9. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
10. Nervous is healthy
11. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
12. drink lots
13. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
14. lower your tire pressure
15. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
16. Ride within YOUR limits
17. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"
18. You will learn more in 6 hours than years of street riding, and more than any book could ever teach you
19. It's a "TRACK DAY", not a "RACE"

and last and not least
20. IT'S A TRACK DAY, NOT A RACE!!!!

You are gonna have a freaking BALL. do you have the right leather gear? have you teched out your bike yet? filled out the forms? stuidied the riders guide?

get pics!

Thanks WWJD!

Lamb is gonna lean on the knowledge of the oRg members and check his ego at the gate!

Thanks for the input!

Reading about turnpoints now!

There are three main tools used in steering a motorcycle

How quickly? (steer it slowly or flick it quickly)

How much? (As in, lean angle)

Where? This is the turn point!

The turn point is the exact position or placement on the road where you start to steer!
Keith Code

Just a small exerpt! This book rocks!
super.gif

Pretty damn nice, Lambski. Started to read the Code books a while back and didn't finish them up.

Also, "Proficient Motorcycling," by David Hough is a great book but more for street skills than track skills. Recommended highly for everyone on here.

--Wag--

Keith Code talks about pivot steering. Push/pull on the bars and put your weight on the outside peg. Lamb thinks he does this but isn't sure to what extent........................................................ Does he do this?

Anyway, this set of books is a must read.

I bought Twist of the Wrist for the spouse as a B'day present (under the advisement of many Moto mags & Sir Jessup here...) The poor guy hasn't had a chance to read it yet 'cause I Bogarted it... One might think I had ulterior motives in the first place. Excellent book but it makes your head spin in the beginning! I have a lot of work to do!

Best of luck with your adventure Lamb... can't wait to hear all about it!

total control is also some good reading, it's not quite as track oriented as twist but a good read none the less!
super.gif

ices_rofl.gif

Ohhhh Lamb.....tooooo funny

You need to chill Bro...Track Day, not a race
all_coholic.gif

Don't worry folks we'll keep a eye on chopper
super.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 25 2007,07:15)
ices_rofl.gif

Ohhhh Lamb.....tooooo funny

You need to chill Bro...Track Day, not a race  
all_coholic.gif

Don't worry folks we'll keep a eye on chopper  
super.gif
Lamb knows it's only a track day BA!  Nothing wrong with trying to increase the skill set!  Keep an eye Lamb anyway
wink.gif
All these things are just as usable for everyday riding for a commuter like me!  

So many things in life become boring once they are understood.  Just the opposite occurs when one begins to grasp and apply the technology of riding.  The technology of riding opens the doors of discovery instead of closing them.
Keith Code

Read "A Twist of the Wrist" before I ever rode a motorcycle (June 2006) and have re-read it since and gotten more out of it as my skills improve.

"Must" read for anyone wanting to ride in anything other than just a straight line...

Those in Florida and Iowa need not apply...
poke.gif
biggrin.gif

It uses good imagery! $10.00 That is what you have to spend on attention! Train yourself to spend less money (part of your $10.00) on minor things like running throught the gears or listening to the wind howl through your helmet and more money (part of your $10.00) on important things like entry speed and brake feel! Great concept and it's easy to apply!

Back