Track Days

milesbm

Donating Member
Registered
I am looking into doing either a single track day or a Saturday/Sunday combo. I was wondering if my tires will hold up for both days and if I will have any life left in them afterwards. Just wondering if they are going to need replaced afterwards.

I have Metzler Sportec M1s with prolly about 1000 to 1500 miles on them, with some of that being drag racing but no burnouts. The tread still looks great, maybe a little worn in the middle because of the drag racing.

From your description they will hold up fine for both days. Tech on the 2nd day may or may not be tricky. Oh and they will be fine for some street riding after that cause you wont use any of the middle on the track.

<!--EDIT|Ononewheel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134574785 -->

Tire life is relative a number of factors, weight, riding style, HP level of your bike. It is so hard to say how long your tires will last on the track.

IMO, if your rear has a flat spot from the drag strip, I would replace it before going to the track day. By doing that you will have an easier time on side to side transitions.

I got excellent wear out of a Medium compound Michelin race tire on a track day at Road Atlanta. I will probally use that tire for another track day and then it will be used only for the street.

tire.jpg

YOU HAVE THE "BEST OF BOTH WORLDS" TYPE OF TIRE.

<!--EDIT|JROCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134592775 -->

There actually isn't a real flat spot on the tire. I can't tell just by looking at it, but I know there is some wear. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to dive into a corner the 2nd day and the tires not stick.

Also, what should I put in the search field to find the suspension setup post for the track?

This is probably all you'll find, not much on suspension for track days since it varies so much rider to rider.  But this thread gives you the basics;

Basically get the ride height correct, and tune the comp and rebound to your liking.

The tires will last depending on how bad you abuse them.

Have fun dude!!!

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134613654 -->

or if you are lazy like me, just crank everything up HARDER 4 tics and call it good. obviously not the best way to setup suspension, but a heck of a lot better than stock
smile.gif

Tire life is relative a number of factors, weight, riding style, HP level of your bike. It is so hard to say how long your tires will last on the track.

IMO, if your rear has a flat spot from the drag strip, I would replace it before going to the track day. By doing that you will have an easier time on side to side transitions.

I got excellent wear out of a Medium compound Michelin race tire on a track day at Road Atlanta. I will probally use that tire for another track day and then it will be used only for the street.
Damn
wow.gif

where do you find the turns in North carolina to make your tires look like that.?
smile.gif

I like busa riders that can turn.

This is probably all you'll find, not much on suspension for track days since it varies so much rider to rider.  But this thread gives you the basics;

Basically get the ride height correct, and tune the comp and rebound to your liking.

The tires will last depending on how bad you abuse them.

Have fun dude!!!
Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had heard other people talk about his suspension recomendations fo the track I just couldn't remember his screen name.

Also, would it be worth getting tire warmers so that they don't heat cycle drastically?
Not needed for street tires at all. Heat cycling wont hurt them. I also believe heat cycling to be a wives tale of sorts. I have run many different race tires over and over without warmers. You just got to be sure to let the crusty outer layer wear off for a lap or two. But that wont apply to your M1's.

Your tires will be fine for the two days at the track, make sure to warm them up 1-2 laps before you start to push it  
wink.gif
Don't waste your time with tire warmers. Race tires do heat cycle....the 2 main reasons for tire warmers are to reduce the number of heat cycles, which helps to prolong the life of a race tire, and with warmers you can get up to speed much quicker....no 1-2 lap warm up time.

There actually isn't a real flat spot on the tire.  I can't tell just by looking at it, but I know there is some wear.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to dive into a corner the 2nd day and the tires not stick.
Thats good. I think you will be fine.

Track days are a great experience. I know I am hooked.

Damn
wow.gif

where do you find the turns in North carolina to make your tires look like that.?
smile.gif

I like busa riders that can turn.
That was taken after my 2nd session at Road Atlanta in November.

There are many roads in this area that will get a tire looking like that in a few corners. I live in the mountains on Western North Carolina. Home to some of the best roads in the world.

I am less than 90 min from Deals Gap and from the shop I can be of some great twisties in 15 min.

Also, would it be worth getting tire warmers so that they don't heat cycle drastically?
If you decide to move to a race tire. I will reccomend warmers. I was able to borrow a set from one of the guys in our group. It was 30 degrees or so for the 1st session. I just felt better know my tires were nice and toasty.

Street tires are designed for repeated heat cycles and on the M1's I think you will be fine.

Thanks for all the help. I actually been to the place I am going before when I had my Katana 600. I loved it. I know the busa will handle better than that did just because I actually have decent tires on the busa. The katana tires were close to the end of their life when I went and it totally fried them by the end of one day. Which wasn't bad cause I trailered it and it was only a one day event.

What did the tech requirements say about tires? My tracks day events want us to have new or Near New tires. I'll be picking up some Pilot Powers before my event on March 6th. Have fun and enjoy the learning experience.

if this is your very first track day, you will be dog tired after day one. day 2 might be painful and not up to par. just a thought. But, I'd never discourage two days of track riding!!
biggrin.gif

Back