Track Day pressy off Wifey.

OB_hiabuser

Registered
just wanted to point out something, the gsxr line,600 and 750, as well as the tlr line, when purchased new, suzuki will give you a certificate for a free track day. cool stuff.
mike
a.k.a. hiabuser

My wife bought me a track day for xmas. Great. It is in June so there is plenty of time to prepare.
So it's my first ever track day, what should I expect. Should I invest in a set of race compound tyres,if so Which?.
Suspension settings- will these need to be stiffened? any advice will be appreciated.
All the Best
Nygie

Heres what you do,
Tell the wife that because you love the bussa you dont want to screw it up on the track, and you will need a bike for the "track only". Now go buy any bike you like,
Im thinking GSXR750,00, ZX12, CCM 900, even a 996 will do. Tell her that the total for the bussa parts if you drop it will cost more than a new bike, and she will agree that you need a "track bike". Explain that you need a set of "Z", Vanson, or Bates leathers also for only a couple of grand more. Im sure she will understand. Its only right. Compare it to her buying clothes for herself so she always has "something to wear". You just need "something to ride"
ducmanic

I think that your very first investment should be on yourself and not the bike which can be replaced not you. Do invest in a proper set of leather suit, boot and etc. Having seen friends who are "penny wise, pound foolish" and after a spill on track, complaining that they should have invested their money on track attire than performance parts on the bike. Do ride safe....

Nygie,

I totally agree with both ducmanic and dankar, Been down a few times (it happens). Get the best leathers you can afford. One piece suits are the most protective. I have walk away with no injured every time I’ve been down at the track. All do to good gear and luck.

Ducmanic speaks with great wisdom about not using the bike you love for the track. Don’t get me wrong the busa will more than hold hear own with the lighter bikes but she is your baby. Foolishly I took mine out for a few laps in October. I lowsided her because of her power. (really it was poor throttle control on my part). You can see some pics of my bike on LABUSAS after the fall. Not a pretty site. Get a bike you like but don’t love for the track. Or get some shark skins for the busa. Either way just take is easy out there, your first time should be real unhurried so you can learn you limitations and slowly improve your skills. No one wins practice.

Is this a track day with instruction or just open lapping?

If you've never been on the track before you MUST get instruction from a race school first or the faster riders will suck you into the weeds. Nevermind your Busa, YOU'LL get hurt.

If you can't get to a race school first, then when you go to your track day find yourself a racer who's there to get some seat time in and offer to pay him $100 for a couple of sessions of one-on-one instruction.

Your OE suspension settings are fine for a novice on a short, technical track. If it's a long fast track tighten up.

Your OE tires are fully trustworthy. Race tires can be very tricky if you're not a fast rider yet.

Use your bike instead of a race bike so you'll learn how your Busa behaves under stress. Then you can more easily transfer what you learn on the track to your street riding.

NEVER do anything on the track that makes you feel like you're not in FULL control. Always remember what Big Ed said..."Nobody wins practice."

First you get good, then you get fast (welcome to Cliché City!)

Between now and June, read everything Keith Code has written.

Sorry to be so pragmatic, but any track is serious business. Those who escape injury in a high speed crash do so because they've been taught how to fall.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 26 December 1999).]

Back